Author Topic: Need Help Please - Dodgy K-Member, Factory??  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Need Help Please - Dodgy K-Member, Factory??
« on: May 01, 2008 - 06:25:03 AM »

Hi guys, we finally pulled all the parts and Hemi from their crates and into the restoration shop. Everything is fine thus far, well packed and in great condition, show quality. However, I was truly disappointed (understatement) in the condition of this so called "NOS K-Frame" that Tim Banning sent me. It's simply appalling, it's like a 10 year old kid took to it - but worse. I wouldn't use it on a parts car. The welds and finishing work are of the poorest quality, the seams don't line up and it's bubbled to heck. The whole K-Member + (powdercoat & mounts) set me back $1,818.58 US

I emailed Tim upon seeing this mess and this was his reply was:

Hi Carl, sorry you are disappointed with the NOS K frame. We did not build it, or modify it, that is exactly how it came from Chrysler. We in fact took the original part number tag off of it when it arrived. Yes, they certainly did not worry too much about weld quality or final finish in those days. Please remember we are dealing with 1970 assembly line components. We also did not attempt to modify it, as that is an absolute no no with many of our OEM show car customers on a very rare part indeed. This is the only new hemi k frame we have seen in years, and yes, you have to wonder what kind of welders they used in production. Please feel free to return it, and we will pay all the charges. There are a few fabrication shops now that are welding hemi mounts on non hemi k frames that look really good, with the nicest tig welds you can imagine. That might be the way to go for any ugraded look. Hope all is well otherwise.
Tim @FHO

Can anyone confirm whether or not this is true? The 383 K-Member we pulled out of Madeline was f@#ken mint!! None of the junk welds the one I received had. Madeline's was excellent however I have no way of knowing if it was an original from the factory but it sure looks that way. Even if it was factory, I'm not sure it would be safe to say they all left the factory in the same condition. Barry? Chryco? Shaun? Have you seen welds or such a POS from/or in a factory car??

Not sure what to do now. I have a couple of options. Spend money on getting the one below grinded back and cleaned up properly, find another Hemi K-Member or perhaps use Madeline's 383 with Hemi mounts installed? I'm happy Tim was quick to respond and offer me all my money back, so, I can't be to upset. Luckily it was Gordon @ Funk Brothers lol.

I honestly think to call this a factory piece is full of shlt myself, Madeline's was mint, clean and aligned.
This one is so bad it's almost funny. Thanks guys, I'm really bummed about this. :crying:

Cheers,
Carl
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Slotts

Re: Need Help Please - Dodgy K-Member, Factory??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008 - 06:36:40 AM »
I would take the seller up on his offer to refund your money.

My :2cents:

Slotts

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008 - 06:38:02 AM »
Looks just like some I`ve seen from the factory.Weld quality probably varied greatly depending on what mind altering drug the worker was on that day.You just got lucky your 383 one was done on a rare day the guy ran out of candy and was straight that day!  :smilielol:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:09:55 AM »

Really? Factory?? Man, that is absolutely crap lol. This is exactly why I choose NOT to do factory correct restorations, with this being correct, you aren't impressing me with your factory correct concourse car LOL. Always improve. I will wait for a few more replies to see what the consensus is but if you've seen a few like this chances are high it is indeed a factory POS. I was lucky twice, Madeline & Lucy. Can I "upgrade" Madelines big block 383 K-member easily? What do I need?

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:25:41 AM »
That`s why you see very few actual "correct" restos.99% of cars are very overrestored compared to how it came from the factory.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:34:45 AM »

Yup, they'd have to, factory as I know already is crappy and cheap. I just never realised the extent of their craftsmanship and was and am still shocked at how poor this K-Member is. I will wait for a few more replies, input and opinions. At this stage I will be shipping it back. Just researching into making BB members into Hemi members.

Thanks. :cheers:

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:50:55 AM »
I would have to say that it is factory as well. I have seen some bad k members that look almost as bad as that one that were removed from cars that had never been modified.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:56:43 AM »

Thanks Hemi72, seems like it is, oh well, makes me feel better that I wasn't shafted, not that Tim would, he's been awesome. How about this kit below for my 383 BB K-Member that's mint, Schumacher, are they good?

http://www.engine-swaps.com/frames/frame_BCEHemi.html $259 + shipping, no welding, bolt in.  :dunno:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008 - 08:07:21 AM »
Hi Carl,

We get the same thing here on Valiants.  It must of been a "who was on shift" that depended on the weld quality or lack of it in your case.   I agree with the other guys as i have seen E-body K frames that have looked a mess.  Send it back and click on here http://www.megapartsusa.com/ and scroll down to the bottom of the main page and you will find that these guys do a really nice Hemi K frame and is not badly priced. :2thumbs: well worth giving them a try.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008 - 08:20:33 AM »
I've heard good things about www.megapartsusa.com and their quality of work.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008 - 08:24:56 AM »

Thanks Ken and 72Hemi for the backup. I was just going to say, I've never heard of Megaparts. Ever. How good are they, 72Hemi think's they good, they look good. I will call them shortly. Doing some searching people seem to say stay away from Schumacer and used John Arruzza mounts instead. Apparently Schumacher mounts shift Hemis towards the passenger shock tower ie: not factory location and it's way close. I will stay up tonight and call around, have to get this sorted fast, like yesterday fast. We're about 3 weeks of mocking up everything.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008 - 09:09:16 AM »
All Mopar engines were shifted towards the passenger shock tower, especially the hemis. I heard this was done to a) clear the steering box and column, and b) get the proper driveline angle for the u-joints. Megaparts was originally reccomended to me by Harms, when I was looking for a skid plate.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2008 - 09:22:18 AM »

I have heard of them being close, wasn't it also to clear power boosters as well? Anyhow, they are even closer. I was searching Moparts and it seems to be hit and miss. Some are close, some are close but fine.  :-\ I'm going to call Megaparts soon and talk to them about my car, it's options and a suitable k-member for my & Madeline's needs.

:cheers:

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2008 - 09:50:49 AM »
I know Im chiming in late on this Carl but I can back up the therory of its who is on shift, all my uncles on my Dad's side work at Chryslers and both of my grandfathers retired from Chryslers.

Its who was on shift and what they were on   :smokin:

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008 - 10:08:09 AM »

Not late at all Don and thanks for the input. That's it then, Tim was fine and in the right which I should have never doubted. That's solved time to do some research and calling to correct this boo-boo. 1st stop, Megaparts...