Author Topic: Anyone running a \6 turbo?  (Read 1141 times)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
Anyone running a \6 turbo?
« on: May 01, 2008 - 12:14:29 PM »
Just wondering if anyone out there is running a  slant six turbo motor. If you are running one, I would like to know what kind of HP/mileage you are getting, as well as some basic details on the motor build.

Dan Zimmermann

One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline asm74

Re: Anyone running a \6 turbo?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008 - 12:44:24 PM »
 :popcorn:
73 Challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008 - 12:53:38 PM »
I think Jacksboys wanted to do a /6 and possle turbo...  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008 - 05:32:29 PM »
Coming soon.  I am planning and designing for my Dart Lite.   
There are a couple good setups on www.theturboforums.com

One guy is running 21 lbs of boost, in a granny looking swinger body style (tan no less) that has run 12.95, video on youtube.

I am going to curl off the stock manifold, towards the front, with a J into the bottom of the turbo.  Exhaust will run straight back, and go down along driver firewall where stock exhaust is.  Charge side will either blow straight up to air hat on carb, or run across an ebay intercooler, and then back, depending on where turbo sits.   If it does not like the FMIC, then I will run alcohol / water injection as my cooling. 

Boost reference the fuel pump, or Mallory 1 to 1 rising fuel pressure regulator, will handle MOST of the fuel needs. If needed, I can sump a stock tank, with an inline pump (Aeromotive, MSD) and run the line to and from using the quick fit hose from Aeroquip or Earls or Russell.

Areas of concern.
  • Head flow sucks.
  • Compression ratio is PERFECT for boost
  • fuel distribution problems of naturally aspirated seems to get better with boost, as the heat atomizes the fuel better, so there is less puddling

Offline asm74

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008 - 05:43:20 PM »
http://www.slantsix.org/articles/articles.htm

Here are some pretty good articles on modding a  /6, including the heads.  Interesting site too.  I was thinking about dropping a turbo /6 into a triumph...
73 Challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008 - 07:17:55 PM »
a local guy used a T bird Blower & EFI on a slant , makes greta power !!

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008 - 02:13:24 AM »
I think Jacksboys wanted to do a /6 and possle turbo...  :dunno:

Maybe one of these days.  I am still trying to find the right car.   :2thumbs:

Also something interesting for you guys that I read here: http://www.slantsix.org:80/articles/stroking/stroking.htm 

Use a 225 block and crank with 198 rods and 2.2 Turbo pistons for higher compression and good durability.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008 - 08:59:25 AM »
I am all over the place on an engine for my Challenger. Everyone says there is no replacement for displacement. Everyone says "440" I can't see doing that knowing I am going to get at best 7mpg. I wish there was a better solution for me that was affordable.
I wondered what was possible. I have seen a few really good articles on slant 6's, but wanted to know of anyone here first hand.
There is someone here at work who has a turbo \6.  :clueless:I am going to try to ppick his brain.

Anyone ever hear of using a straight 6 (4.0L) out of  a Jeep with a turbo? :dunno:

I had an inline L28 6 cyl with tripple carbs on my 240Z, and a mildly built engine. I had just over 200HP in  a 2400lb car. Can you say zoom? Yes, it moved. :2thumbs:

I would just be concerned with power to weight ratio, cost, and some good guidance on what to do.

Thanks again for the input. I would love to hear more.

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.