Author Topic: Blast media materials  (Read 848 times)

Offline Chlngrcrzy

Blast media materials
« on: May 02, 2008 - 05:05:54 PM »
I am getting really close to blasting my car. I have a friend with a big industrial air compressor and a sand blaster and he has loaned them to me for a weekend to do my car. I have found some Copper slag media at a local equipment rental store for $7.50 per 100# bag. 2 different grits available. Anybody ever use this before? I did a search on the internet and i could not find anything to negative about it. It is used more for water driven blasters and seems to be less of an environmental hazard. Less dust to it.  :clueless:

Offline Slotts

Re: Blast media materials
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008 - 05:26:45 PM »
I would only recommend plastic media blasting for removing paint off the body parts.
Plastic media avoids the heat build-up that can warp the sheet metal.

Slotts

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008 - 08:32:06 PM »
I am only doing the underside, inside, trunk area, engine compartment area, and axle and suspensions. Front fenders are off, so that i can get to that area. Rear fenders and roof are new, so they won't be needing done. Front fenders, i have already picked up 50#'s of plastic bead to do the inside and outside of the front fenders. I would think that as long as i don't concentrate the blast area to long in a spot that this copper slag stuff should be okay. It sure is cheap. :dunno:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008 - 02:07:28 AM »
I know very little about blasting media, but if the copper slag is cheap, seems to me the smart thing to do is get a little bit, find a piece of scrap and blast it and see what happens.  That way, you don't ruin your car or waste a bunch of money.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008 - 04:16:20 PM »
I watched a deal with baking soad was a sight, and seamed to work well.

I have never used it and my experiance is limited...

the comment was that it was ok for the ground, and coated the steel (preventing rust untill you cleaned for paint.)
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008 - 05:02:40 PM »
I've heard walnut shells make a good "soft' abrasive as well, good for stripping paint and engine parts like heads etc. Not sure how well the work on rust or sheet metal though.They're obviously biodegradable...