Author Topic: Reverse VIN search? Anyone done one?  (Read 1643 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Reverse VIN search? Anyone done one?
« on: May 08, 2008 - 12:02:59 AM »
So all of this looking for broadcast sheets and such has got me curious about my car and its origins. So far this is what I know-

My '72 chally was registered in Utah in '99, and probably before that as well. I have a registration sheet from Utah DMV for '99, showing a change to a "ski utah" plate from another Utah plate. I have both those plate numbers.

Car was sold by Morris Motors in Provo at some point, still have the dealer lettering on the back panel (under the paint, gotta love those $199 paint jobs!). Looks like this place is still around, I have the dealer info in Provo. Comes back as a used car dealer, so probably not the original dealer.

The car was sold out to Florida at some point, thats where the last PO before me bought it.It was then registered in CA, I suppose CA DMV has the Florida info somewhere as they got that title...

Finally, the PO sold it to me after having it only a couple months!

Anyway, so what I actually wanted to know is if anyone has done one of those "reverse vin searches" using an online information site? I've seen a couple, all of course require some kind of "membership" fee to run searches. Before I gave up any money I was wondering if anyone has had any success using this route, or if its a big waste of money...

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Reverse VIN search? Anyone done one?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008 - 02:08:03 AM »
Good question.  Now you got me interested.   :popcorn:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008 - 12:13:08 AM »
I tried in the past but it didn't work becuase the old VINs are 9 numbers/letter and the new are 13 (think I got those numbers right.)

Lunch

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008 - 12:27:01 AM »
13 & 17

The reverse VIN searches can only do the newer 17 digit VINs as far as I know.