Author Topic: Some people????  (Read 1761 times)

Offline loco340cuda

Re: Some people????
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008 - 11:58:00 AM »
I know when that happens, it really sucks, and I think he went about it in the wrong way. He should have corrected the ad, or pulled it and put a new ad out. But it's his car, and he can ask whatever he wants for it. I'm sure that most people, if they were told that something they are selling is worth more than they are asking, would correct their price. It's only human nature.

Put your self in his shoes. Lets say that you have a NOS 71 Cuda grill that you decide to sell, and you dont know what its worth. You advertise it for $200. One of your good CCC buddies, says "Hey, those grills are going for $3k on eBay". What would you do? Sell it to somebody for $200 because they saw your ad, and lose $2800, or sell it on eBay?

I think that you are letting emotion or principle affect your judgement. I mean, dont let the fact that he advertised it for 17 and now wants 20 stop you from making a good deal. Look the car over. If you think its worth the 20, and you have the money, buy it. If you dont think its worth it, or you dont have the money, offer him what you are willing to pay, and leave your phone number.

If he sells it to someone else, then you didnt lose anything, because to you it wasnt worth it.

If no one meets his price, he'll get tired of sitting on it, and might take you up on your offer. Just bug him about it every couple of weeks to let him know you are still interested, and in case he loses your number.

Well said.   :iagree:
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008 - 12:19:28 PM »
I went to look at a 70 440 Cuda that was for sale in a local auto trader about 15 years ago. The guy had a price in the add and I tried to talk him down when I was looking the car over and all the sudden says he won't take less than the asking price for the car. I keep looking the car over and tell I'll give him his asking price for the car and he all the sudden says I have changed my mind I don't want to sell the car. I left and called the local auto trader and they told me I could make him sell the car but would have to take him to court to make him do it. I decided it was not worth it and have had mixed feelings about cars in auto traders everysince. I hope you have better luck than I did now that he thinks the car is worth more money after talking to a few people. I would show him the cash and see if it changes his mind.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008 - 08:31:48 PM »
I know when that happens, it really sucks, and I think he went about it in the wrong way. He should have corrected the ad, or pulled it and put a new ad out. But it's his car, and he can ask whatever he wants for it. I'm sure that most people, if they were told that something they are selling is worth more than they are asking, would correct their price. It's only human nature.

Put your self in his shoes. Lets say that you have a NOS 71 Cuda grill that you decide to sell, and you dont know what its worth. You advertise it for $200. One of your good CCC buddies, says "Hey, those grills are going for $3k on eBay". What would you do? Sell it to somebody for $200 because they saw your ad, and lose $2800, or sell it on eBay?

I think that you are letting emotion or principle affect your judgement. I mean, dont let the fact that he advertised it for 17 and now wants 20 stop you from making a good deal. Look the car over. If you think its worth the 20, and you have the money, buy it. If you dont think its worth it, or you dont have the money, offer him what you are willing to pay, and leave your phone number.

If he sells it to someone else, then you didnt lose anything, because to you it wasnt worth it.

If no one meets his price, he'll get tired of sitting on it, and might take you up on your offer. Just bug him about it every couple of weeks to let him know you are still interested, and in case he loses your number.

You have a valid point. However, I think he could have handled it better.  Such as changing his ad, which is still up and still says $17,000 OBO, or said he is having second thought and has decided to ask for more. 

I always offer what I think an item is worth, or at least what I am willing to pay for that item.  Wither I get the item or not, I never let emotions get the best of me.  Many times I have not purchased an item because they are asking more than I a willing to pay for it.  And, other time I have paid way less for an item when I thank its worth more.  This has always served me well.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008 - 08:34:02 PM »
It sounds like a possible scam.

You show up at his meeting place with cash, get robbed. It has happened before, so take friends and proceed with caution.  :2cents:

Barry, this has crossed my mine as well.  I always worry when the say they will only take cash.  Most time I will not buy a car the first time I see it.  That way I dont let emotions get the best of me.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008 - 11:13:25 PM »
What Led Zep song would you play while You, Smitty, and Wes are have a chat with the concerned party :ylsuper: :bananasmi

Over the hills and far away!!      :ylsuper: CRANK IT !!!!                 Here in Boulder just last year a guy selling his car on Craigslist responded to a potential buyer wanting to look at the vehicle. This huge bodybuilder dude. BIG.  He shows up,...two guys try and take his car.He declines.They shot him,killed him,Took his car.     I have a permit.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"