08 headlights in a 1970??

Author Topic: 08 headlights in a 1970??  (Read 5256 times)

Offline gkring

08 headlights in a 1970??
« on: May 08, 2008 - 10:44:44 PM »
So, anybody think the new challenger lights will work in an original? I'm sure they would take some work, but not as much as some other options. Are these the same as the BMW lights people try to use? looks like a way to get projector HID lights in our cars and it looks good. Opinions, thoughts?
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Re: 08 headlights in a 1970??
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008 - 10:48:37 PM »
SELL YOUR AND BUY A NEW ONE  :chatting:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008 - 06:09:27 AM »
Just judging by the shape of the lights I would say "no", but I could be wrong.  You may be able to use them if you fab up a custom grille possibly.

The afore mentioned BMW lights may be a better choice as they may fit in the factory headlight openings.  I've often thought about "angel eyes" on a Challenger.  Maybe BIGSCLUNK might have some insight on this as he's an auto recycler.  :dunno:  I don't know if you have to upgrade the wiring as they may draw more amperage then the stock lights.

Goody has some cool modern lights in his Cuda.  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008 - 06:41:18 AM »
Several of us have posted about this in the past; there are no easy projector solutions for our cars. I did find some but they look like a fish eye and were way pricey.

Greg - looking at that pic, did Chrysler lose that cool aluminum bezel on the inboard lights? I think it had 6 tiny LED's in it and was on the concept? I dont see them in that pic you posted.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 - 06:55:00 AM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008 - 07:39:46 AM »
Several of us have posted about this in the past; there are no easy projector solutions for our cars. I did find some but they look like a fish eye and were way pricey.

I'm fairly sure Hella makes a HID conversion bulb. They would be pretty expensive if they do, ill have to find out from my friend for sure. I run H4 bulbs that are very bright.

In my opinion on the 08 bulbs, is i doubt they'll drop in, anything can fit with enough skill though :D :bigsmile:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008 - 07:42:28 AM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008 - 08:49:23 AM »
I was planning on making the conversion on my 72 Challenger, so if no gets around to it before I do I'll let you know how much work was involved. My goal is to replace the blinkers in the lower valance with fog lamps.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008 - 09:48:09 AM »
HID reflector is one thing, HID projector is another. I think the D2S will fit in some of the H4 Halogen conversion globes but they will blind oncoming traffic. The globe needs to be designed for HID, and the cheaper reflector applications usually have the small "umbrella" shield in front of the bulb.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008 - 11:09:07 AM »
how about a pair of these?  Talk about a sick looking fish? Am still looking for the 7" glass dome projectors. They looked REALLY funky.

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008 - 03:54:56 PM »
I'm fairly sure Hella makes a HID conversion bulb. They would be pretty expensive if they do, ill have to find out from my friend for sure. I run H4 bulbs that are very bright.

In my opinion on the 08 bulbs, is i doubt they'll drop in, anything can fit with enough skill though :D :bigsmile:
the pic he posted is the actual car being released the one where there are 2 challengers is the prototype look at the grill. ones 71 snd the others 70

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008 - 10:44:42 PM »
huh? I postd the pic to illustrate the concept cars lights. Here's a better pic:

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline blown74

• Never go less then 60 MPH in Reverse! Bel Air, Md
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008 - 11:19:44 PM »
Found these on ebay. Interesting...The author is Zeoth

Purpose: Understanding and purchasing HID (High Intensity Discharge) technology for your car.

Question: Everyone has been awed by the infusion of those blue headlights found on some popular high end model cars such as BMW, Lexus, Audi, and Mercedes. The question is: How do you get them for your car?

Background: Unlike the popular belief, Thomas Edision didn't develop the light bulb, but he developed a PRACTICAL incandescent light. There's three types of headlight technologies: Halogen, HID and LED (LED we'll leave out for now)

Everyone should know what standard halogen bulbs are. These are the common bulbs that Edison made famous. There are multiple issues with these bulbs. First, they are only allowed to be so bright as to prevent blinding other drivers. Second is their beam pattern. Light is scattered and not really focused on the road in front. Finally is lifespan. Bulbs burn out frequently because they are still filament based.

Then there’s HID (High Intensity Discharge) technology. People has called them Xenon as well but that just refers to the gas they are using. We normally see HID lamps in the form of mercury vapor and sodium vapor lights used as street lamps and as outdoor lighting for stadiums. These lamps are popular because they are efficient. In the case of sodium vapor, they are twice as efficient as normal fluorescent bulbs. The problem with that technology is that there is a long startup time for mercury vapors. Xenon helps solve the start-up problem, as does a special controller (ballast). HID solves the problem of bulb lifespan but what about beam pattern and making the light brighter? I’ll get to that after some more history lesson.

HID technology was introduced to Northern America cars starting with the 1995 Lincoln Mark VIII. Then other automotive dealers such as Audi, Mercedes, and BMW started putting them in their cars as well. Being rare and cool looking, 3rd party companies jumped on the bandwagon and started developing “HID like” bulbs which they market as HID bulbs,  Euro Spec bulbs, or Plasma Blue bulbs. Those are nothing more than painted halogen bulbs that you now can find on eBay for $10. These bulbs do nothing more than change the color coming out of the headlight to blue. This blue light is dimmer, tiring on the eyes, and having a shorter life span than the stock halogen bulbs that came with the car. Though mostly not illegal (DOT certified), it’s a highly dangerous thing to do.

So the next step is to put the HID technology into the existing headlight. This is what is commonly referred to as an HID kit ($500). The HID bulb and ballast (the HID bulb control box) replaces the halogen bulb and thus in effect putting a very bright HID bulb into a halogen housing (stock headlight housing). This achieves the brightness of using HID but the beam pattern is scattered like a halogen bulb because the housing is not meant for such a light source. In California the use of these HID kits are illegal because they are not focused and glare other drivers (Hence not DOT approved). DOT = Department of Transportation.

HID kits come in different color and are based on the light temperature. The higher Kelvin the light color, the bluer the output becomes. Kits advertising 8,000k and above are so blue that people have a hard time distinguishing between your car and an ambulance or police car. In contrast, all cars equipped with HID as standard equipment comes with 4100K bulbs. Also HID Kits using OEM ballasts such as those made by Hella or Philips are the best. They are more likely to last longer and has additional safety features built in that may not be available on “Home made” kits. Also the glass part of the halogen bulb is replaced with the glass part of the HID bulb. That’s how the bulb fits into the stock headlight housing. This glass swap is commonly known as a rebased bulb.

So finally what separates the real HID technology and the fake, is the addition of the HID projector (some actually reflector style HID but those aren’t very good and you can’t install these in your car). It is the lense and shield of the projector that concentrates the beam to the floor and creates a cutoff above a certain height as to not blind other drivers. At the cutoff there is a blue color due to the light spectrum. In most cases the color is either blue or purple. The popular trend now is to take the entire HID technology (HID bulb, ballast, lense and shield) and put them into the halogen housing. This is referred to as a HID retrofit ($1,000+).

If you notice, there are even differences in HID lense technology. Some are brighter than others. Some are bluer than others. Some are more blinding than others. The current cars with the best projectors are off Honda S2000, 2004+ Acura TL and 2003+Acura TSX which uses the powerful Stanley/Kioto projectors. Valeo are the next best which are usually found on Audis and then finally there is Bosch.

Recommendation for HID Kit components:

1) Rebased Philips bulbs (4100k is the brightest but also yellow looking. 6000k is white looking. 7300k is a very crystal blue looking)

2) Hella or Philips generation 3 or 4 ballasts

3) Buy or build yourself a wire harness to power the ballast from the battery with the headlight harness used as a constant source switch.

Recommendation for retrofit components:

1) Cars with H4 high and low beam in a single bulb should use the Acura TL bi-Xenon projectors (which mimics having high and low beam in one projector). Otherwise use the S2000 or the TSX projectors.

2) Use D2S 4100k or 4300k bulbs made by Philips.

3) Use Hella or Philips generation 3 or generation 4 ballast.

4) Buy or build yourself a wire harness to power the ballast from the battery with the headlight harness used as a constant source switch.

Zeoth - Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Stock

Guide ID: 10000000000007982Guide created: 10/03/05 (updated 04/30/08)
American Muscle Rocks !!

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008 - 10:48:42 AM »
Thats a lot of info...    :banghead: whats the $200.00 answer for a challenger?

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Justins72

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008 - 01:04:04 PM »
I have been tossing around the idea of fitting the Hella 90mm projectors into the stock or stock size housing.