Author Topic: Fair paint price  (Read 2996 times)

craigsmytcudas

Re: Fair paint price
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008 - 03:00:21 PM »
 i laughed so hard i just blew beer buubles up through my nose,and havent even heard the punch line yet .  :roflsmiley:

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008 - 03:58:21 PM »
If there are any dents to fix it will take more than a day. Just a good tape job will be a couple hours. To block the whole car out should be a day by itself. For one day and ~$1k all you're likely to get I'd a spray job, which you won't be happy with. Good paint takes good bodywork and good prep, and that takes time, which we all know costs money.

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008 - 05:56:28 PM »
I just paid $750 for 1 - 1/2 gallons of Hemi Orange, and that was the shop price.  What kind of body work will you have done other than the 2 dents?  Will they prime and block the whole car, wet sand, clear coat and buff, etc?  I would think for a good paint job you will be looking at minimum $3-$5K.  If you are only interested in a driver, then go to Maaco ot Earl Scheib for about a grand.

You are correct on your assemement
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008 - 08:57:18 PM »
the cuda in my profile has three gallons of 06 go man go 750.00 per gallon the total cost of materials was 3400.00. it costs 200.00 in materials to buff it out with hookit sanding process 14 hrs. in all fairness i have painted out door show car finishes in the 3500 to 4500 range no rust and above average straight . also if i couldnt paint i would hire a maaco painter these guys paint ten or more cars a day no room for major error and never sand or polish mistakes thats impressive,i have seen very good work from fleet shops but these guys at the end of the day just want to feed the family so ya gota pay up ,your cars are not their hobby bottom line is joey ya need to go to maaco and dont paint it yourself. i hate seeing anyone wast hard earned cash good luck

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008 - 12:32:38 AM »
I apprciate everyones comments . I have to think you guys are building way better cars then mine ,I/m going for a real nice driver . All the work and time I am putting into this car is so I can drive it . As for the paint it is Nason Fast Dry Acrylic Enamel in Lemon Twist . Based on the under cariage which I painted myself it looks and shines good . I'm sure it could be better but somehow I do not think I have the money some of you guys have .

The roof is all ready painted . In all honesty I'm probably not going to spray the outside of the car , (not good enough). But I will find a deal and make it work . :working:

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2008 - 12:55:25 AM »
Just so we are all on the same page is you go to the Newbee form I just bumped mine to the top . Look at the pitcher of the under side on page 2 . Any dark areas are shadows . If I get that look I'll be happy and that is what it is all about . :bigsmile:

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2008 - 06:28:47 AM »
I just painted a friends car with Dupont Centari enamel as he did not have the $ to go base/clear urethane.It came out great with a light wet sand and buff and will hold up fine if taken care of.Nason is basically a cheapre version of Centari but I have seen cars painted with it that also look good and hold up OK,just don`t expect it to hold up near as well as the newer urethanes.I don`t think finding someone to do a good job painting your car for 1000$ is out of the question but it will probably take some time to find the right shop or better yet try and find a local car guy who does it on the side.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2008 - 06:34:13 AM »
Just checked your newb post-who painted all the undersied and jambs?It isn`t that much harder to paint the outside and wetsanding and buffing will take out 99% of any flaws you might get.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2008 - 08:37:06 AM »
I did the underside and jams but would be scared to do the body . It has to look good . I know a guy who did 2 68 cudas that turned out real good . That yellow is real easy to work with . Where there is a will . When the car is done I'll get help and post some pitchers .

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2008 - 07:09:31 PM »
I just painted a friends car with Dupont Centari enamel as he did not have the $ to go base/clear urethane.It came out great with a light wet sand and buff and will hold up fine if taken care of.Nason is basically a cheapre version of Centari but I have seen cars painted with it that also look good and hold up OK,just don`t expect it to hold up near as well as the newer urethanes.I don`t think finding someone to do a good job painting your car for 1000$ is out of the question but it will probably take some time to find the right shop or better yet try and find a local car guy who does it on the side.
The guy who painted my car sprayed it for $1200 with single stage Dupont.  I did all the prep, jambs, trunk, etc...  All he did was mask, spray the exterior and buff it out.  Turned out great.  I wouldn't say it is show quality, but that isn't what I wanted.  I was just looking for orangepeel similar to a new car.   :cooldancing:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2008 - 07:24:50 PM »
The color has a lot do to with the price of the paint. Red is the most expensive, so the closer you are to red, the more expensive the paint is. Had mine done in pure red a couple of months ago. Paint and clear alone were $1300.

If you want a decent job for a decent price, check out reputable bodymen in small towns. The ones around here charge $18-$20 per hour and are really good.

There are guys that will do a nice job for $1000, but you'll have to buy the paint and supplies.

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2008 - 10:27:00 PM »
Nothing to do with body . But just drove my Challenger under it"s own power for the first time ever . What a thrill . I live on a dead end road and I went back and forth a few times .All my work now seems worth it . The tires broke lose a few times with out even trying . Life IS good . :bigsmile: