Author Topic: Rant: Everybody thinks they are Lance Armstrong around here...  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Arg   :pullinghair: Just drives me nuts around here.  I was just coming back from the auto store, doing the speed limit 35 and there is a crosswalk in the middle of the street for the jogging/cyclist path that goes around our town.  I'm just driving through and this old guy on bike, which I'm sorry to say shouldn't be wearing bicycle pants, just jumps off his bike and starts walking it across in front of me.  There is no way I can stop that fast and move to avoid him and he has to pull his bike up to avoid hitting my car.  Now get this he is the one *****ing and yelling at me!  I dont' have a stop or even a yield.  He has to yield to me, if not for the law, but the obvious fact that I can do way more damage to him.  He didn't come to a stop at the street to check both ways or else he would have waited for me to pass.  He just kept going across, probably to keep his heart rate up.  What if I had somebody else behind me and I have to slam on my brakes?  Now I'm in danger of getting rear ended.  The other thing that bugs the hell out of me is the cyclists who get in one lane of traffic and don't let you pass them.    :stomp:  geez, following them at 15 mph for the next mile cuz its a double yellow line with 10 cars behind you honking... its enough to make you want to run them over.

Alaskan_TA

Re: Rant: Everybody thinks they are Lance Armstrong around here...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008 - 04:57:23 PM »
The other thing that bugs the hell out of me is the cyclists who get in one lane of traffic and don't let you pass them.    :stomp:  geez, following them at 15 mph for the next mile cuz its a double yellow line with 10 cars behind you honking... its enough to make you want to run them over.

.....or kiss them.  :bigsmile:

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008 - 05:35:52 PM »
.....or kiss them.  :bigsmile:

Ahahahahahahahahaha

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008 - 06:22:01 PM »
 :roflsmiley:  Guess its all a matter of perspective isn't it?

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008 - 06:58:11 PM »
Yeah, that would tend to stop traffic right there  :droolingbounce:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008 - 07:22:22 PM »
In my state (VA), folks on bicycles, mopeds ect. must follow the same rules of the road as an automobile, which means stopping at stop signs, stop lights. Obeying yeild signs and riding to the right of the road with the flow of traffic (not against it). Not too many that I see follow all the rules. Most just blow through stop signs which caused me a near accident last week.  :swear:I try to watch out for cyclists & mopeds & pedestrians. It's always a few that make it bad. Car drivers included!!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008 - 07:42:29 PM »
You know, I remember riding a bike and I always was watching for vehicles. I dont care if I have the right of way or not, that simple fact is meaningless when your dead. I did like riding against the grain so to speak. It is so much easier to relaxe when you can face what is coming at you.
*Brett*

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008 - 10:06:57 PM »
You know, I remember riding a bike and I always was watching for vehicles. I dont care if I have the right of way or not, that simple fact is meaningless when your dead. I did like riding against the grain so to speak. It is so much easier to relaxe when you can face what is coming at you.

When I was a kid that was the one thing my Grandpa drilled into me (well this and never ever trust a dog, if it has teeth it can bite- he was a meter reader for the electric company for 30+ years) he always told me to ride my bike against traffic, never with.  If you are going with the traffic you can't see the idiots behind you and therefor can't react.  Keep em in front of you, at least you have a chance to react.

Offline gkring

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008 - 11:59:11 PM »
That's one way to diffuse a situation!
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008 - 12:06:05 AM »
When I was a kid that was the one thing my Grandpa drilled into me (well this and never ever trust a dog, if it has teeth it can bite- he was a meter reader for the electric company for 30+ years) he always told me to ride my bike against traffic, never with.  If you are going with the traffic you can't see the idiots behind you and therefor can't react.  Keep em in front of you, at least you have a chance to react.

You may believe this to make sense but from a drivers standpoint they have a much better reaction time and better focus of you when you're in the same direction they're going. Out in the flat open country, I could understand it not being as much an issue. But if a bicyclist is on a mountain road or even in a city, it's not very wise to drive a bike into oncoming traffic.  :2cents:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008 - 12:10:01 AM »
Im talking about the shoulder of the road. I would not think of actually claiming a lane of traffic for myself on a bike. Seems like a quick way to get killed to me. I know oncoming motorists may not like me being on the shoulder of their side of the street but I would rather be the one reacting to them, not the other way around. I would hate to have my last sight be the license plate of the idiot who just ran over me.
*Brett*

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008 - 06:39:07 AM »
I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists as long as they ride SINGLE file and try to stay over to the right as best they can but I get really mad at the cyclists who ride 3-4 wide on a narrow curvy back road so you don`t dare pass them-I wear out my horn button on those idiots!
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline KellysCuda aircard

• Its good to be blown
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008 - 11:13:58 AM »
Paint this on the side of your car and after a few near misses they will dive for the ditch when they see you coming..LOL

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008 - 12:01:28 PM »
It sounds like the student body with bikes around here. :screwy:  They rarely follow the road signs and always seem to be riding on the sidewalks (not supposed to here) while I'm attempting to walk to or from my apartment. :pullinghair:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin