Author Topic: Rant: Everybody thinks they are Lance Armstrong around here...  (Read 1500 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: Rant: Everybody thinks they are Lance Armstrong around here...
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2008 - 09:41:06 AM »
Today is Bike to work day. But at the same time it's Spare the Air day also. It's also going to be a 100 degrees today.

So, those that are planning to Bike to work here, will be...wheezing and sweating to work day.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2008 - 10:29:41 AM »
 I will join the rant. Our rural area in "wine country" attracts quite a few bicycle riders who tour the winerys and vinyards which I don't have a problem with. Most of the roads out here are are pretty rough though, and in need of repair except for the ones used most by bicyclists.

I am driving along one day wondering, why did they just pave this section it wasn't that bad? Then it turns down this road, then a short section on another road, turns again down another. What about the worst sections that are rattling my fillings out? All one needs to do is follow the route of fresh paving along with the "Share the road" signs to know there is some special interest going on in our county.

Offline wunderless

• But existing is basically all I do!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2008 - 11:17:05 AM »
Oh man...
They're like ants around here.  Little annoying ants that feel the need to wear spandex...
For all the reasons mentioned they are a royal pain, not to mention dangerous. 
About 15 years ago people were complaining that we didn't have a bike path in the area and they were being forced to ride on the highway (2 lane, major road for the area).  So, an old train track that was converted into a bike/walkng path... which no-one uses... they prefer to use... the highway!  They seem to think they have a right do so.  Fine, but in a battle who do you think will win?  150 pound yuppie, thinking they are bettering themselves by dressing up in the trendiest bikewear and going out biking on the weekend for a couple hours, or, a 3000+ pound chunk of metal? 
I probably wouldn't get so annoyed if they could ride in straight damn line!  They swerve all over the place while they try and talk to each other  "Hey can you see me buttsweat throgh this spandex?  Should i have worn the red pair?" 
So yea, i don't like em...
Back to the thread...
But existing is basically all I do!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2008 - 02:49:16 PM »
I will join the rant. Our rural area in "wine country" attracts quite a few bicycle riders who tour the winerys and vinyards which I don't have a problem with. Most of the roads out here are are pretty rough though, and in need of repair except for the ones used most by bicyclists.

I am driving along one day wondering, why did they just pave this section it wasn't that bad? Then it turns down this road, then a short section on another road, turns again down another. What about the worst sections that are rattling my fillings out? All one needs to do is follow the route of fresh paving along with the "Share the road" signs to know there is some special interest going on in our county.

We drive out through marin county fairly often and there are -always- bikes to contend with, I don't usually care except when they try the "ride next to my buddy" thing on a two lane road

HEY! wait a minute, Lance Armstrong? You mean they are testicularly challenged??

:bigsmile:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008 - 02:51:12 PM by ntstlgl1970 »
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2008 - 03:24:44 PM »

I don't mind people cycling but a huge % of tight wearers on NZ's roads deserve to get hit. They are just asking for it. This is one subject that gets the blood up, as a car guy, it's no wonder. They complain about being hit, have campaigns and demand their safety on roads yet ride 2 or 3 abreast (sometimes in groups) and for some strange reason they think the road marker line on the sides of the roads are lines for them to ride on or for them to stick to, thus, bringing them within only a few feet of traffic and speeding cars, add their erratic weaving into the equation and it's actually a miracle that cycling deaths aren't more common.

Everyone is entitled to the roads and should have a fair piece. Drivers should be vigilant and keep within the speed limits around town, on the highway slow down and give them a bit of room. Cyclists should keep as far left/right away from the traffic as possible and always ride in single-file formation. Lots of these "road clowns" blame us, I wrote into the paper basically saying the above. Just because we're in the bigger cars and we're going a lot faster than them doesn't make us the ones at fault. It's a 50/50 game and the cyclists aren't playing their part.

:2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60