Author Topic: Your Mopar 'War Stories'?  (Read 908 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Your Mopar 'War Stories'?
« on: May 11, 2008 - 08:54:49 PM »
Curious to hear some of the things your Mopar has gone through and made it through. Could get interesting  :popcorn:

Lets see, my 318 has been through hell and back. With 120,000miles drove all around Las Vegas for about 45minutes. Parked it in the driveway then walked through the house to open the garage door (no power opener). Hopped back in the car, cranked it up, about halfway through the garage door it died....thats odd. Sounds funny when i'm cranking it over. Turns out the factory nylon tooth timing chain went right there halfway in the garage, took a couple valves out of whack. But, it did get me home before it quit.

Unexperienced and stupid I free revved my engine, oh to about 5500 or so. I then found out that my valve reliefs in my pistons were for stock 318 valves...which is great, except i have 2.02 J-heads on there! Oops. Proceeded to drive another 15miles home just fine with quite a few bent valves. Given I was pretty tight on $$ I didn't have the money for new pistons, rings, machine work, etc. And also to have the car down for awhile pulling the engine and such. So some clay around the rings and the dremel came out  :screwy: Yep, dremeled all 16 reliefs and about 15,000miles later still running fine.

Same factory 120,000mile 904 trans behind the 318 that about doubled in power vs the stocker gave up one time. Had just a 2500stall converter, tf-2 shift kit...about 65mph or so a full throttle 2-3 shift locked the rear tires dead up  :1zhelp:. Popped it in neutral and slid into a parking lot. Trans was dead locked at manual low, drive, and reverse. So...i drove 20miles home in only second gear. Turned out the band had welded itself to the drum locking it up.

Another poor 318 story, after passing the stripe at the drag strip in vegas i popped it in neutral and coasted twords the return road. Apparently during that I tossed the alternator/water pump/crank belt.  As you could imagine, it got hot, fast! Pegging my 250* autometer temp gauge i limped down the return road. Luckily my power steering belt retained the other drive belt so i still had it, about cut in half, puking coolant...drove it home. Gallon of water and 25miles later I got home, no other issues. 

318's still kickin, get a whopping 15psi of hot oil pressure with 15w-50, it gets run hard and a good amount of highway driving (high revs/3.91). Its hit 7,000rpm once on accident, about 6,500 a few times on purpose with stock rods. Bent valves, dremeled pistons, gotten way too hot...still kicks

:lol:
:icon16:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 - 08:56:50 PM by GoodysGotaCuda »
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Re: Your Mopar 'War Stories'?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008 - 11:23:31 AM »
Sounds like the good old 318 that people say will never die.  :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
Re: Your Mopar 'War Stories'?
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 - 01:37:30 PM »
When I picked up my car on the docks in Oslo where it was delivered from the US, I was all excited and jumped in and drove all day some 950 miles home. Only a couple of days later I remembered to check the oil! It was bearly some oil on the end of the dipstick!  :22yikes:

Lucily the engine and bearings survived! Hail to the 340!  :worshippy
Member of The Rapid Transit System