Author Topic: Weird position here  (Read 3906 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
Weird position here
« on: May 12, 2008 - 06:48:04 PM »
Kind of an odd situation. I was made aware of an auction for original rosette rivets for attaching a vin plate to a dash pad. I ordered a pair, paid through paypal with my american express card. When I checked on the status the next day I had a message from ebay saying the auction had been terminated. I being ever cautious thought the person was pulling a fast one on me so I cancelled my payment. I even sent the guy a message telling him that since the auction was gone I cancelled payment because there was no way to ensure I would receive my rivets. This was all weeks ago also. Well lo and behold today a letter shows up with only my shipping info on it, no return address. I also got my R/T stripes from ChallengerGary, thanks Gary!! Anyway, I tried to look up the auction with no luck, called AE to reinstate the charge to paypal. They informed me that once a charge is disputed it cannot be reversed. It is a weird feeling to know that this guy sent me the rivets after I had cancelled payment. It doesnt really feel like a blessing, it feels like I did the guy dirty even though I was really just trying to watch my own back. What do you guys think?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: Weird position here
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008 - 06:50:52 PM »
Do you recall the guy's E-bay member ID?  If so, you could look him up and contact him through them and see about making payment to him directly.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline back n black

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008 - 06:53:28 PM »
Your going to burn buddy! :villagers: :bigsmile: :roflsmiley:

Why can't you find the auction info?  

I would just keep my eyes open for the same seller and try to catch up with him later.   :dunno:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008 - 06:53:49 PM »
Thats just it, I dont remember anything at all besides the fact he had like 5 or 7 sets available. I deleted it when I got the message that the auction was terminated.  :walkaway:
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008 - 06:55:33 PM »
Your going to burn buddy! :villagers: :bigsmile: :roflsmiley:

Why can't you find the auction info?  

I would just keep my eyes open for the same seller and try to catch up with him later.   :dunno:

LOL I sure hope not! Yeah I guess thats all I can do or wait for him to contact me wondering wtf his money is  :swear:
*Brett*

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008 - 08:48:59 PM »
If you paid through Paypal there had to be an email address attached to his account.  You should be able to go into your Paypal account and few recent transactions, and it should be there.  You won't have the auction info but you should certainly have the contact info for the seller.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008 - 09:14:11 PM »
Ill try that.
*Brett*

Offline N96

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008 - 08:08:15 PM »
if you want to get technical, which ebay will, it is illegal to sell those rivets whether they are original or not. we need them so we dont care, but ebay does. that is why you can't find the auction. it was wiped out from their database

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008 - 08:43:30 PM »
if you want to get technical, which ebay will, it is illegal to sell those rivets whether they are original or not. we need them so we dont care, but ebay does. that is why you can't find the auction. it was wiped out from their database

I was waiting for someone to say something like this because I agree 100%. If we need to restore our cars and for us in the west that means interior because it gets roasted, we should be able to buy original style rivets to make the restoration look as good as it can. Lord knows we have enough trouble just trying to make the new pad fit right. So if I need to replace or restore my dashpad that means taking the orignal vin plate off for one of two things, either to send off the frame to get recovered or to put the plate on a new repro dashpad which I chose to do. WTF is it illegal for me to do this???????? There is a huge difference between re-numbering a car and just wanting to restore what we already own. Seems like there would be some lateral movement allowed in our cases. I can understand trying to stamp out or prevent fraud but just securing a vin of the car I own to a dash I own should not constitute a crime. So in that case I dont see why the original rivets are illegal to sell. Hard to police the use of the rivets I know but its like all of us regular joes are paying a big price to try to keep the scammers at bay.
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008 - 08:00:01 PM »
Was cleaning out my email account and came across the guys confirmation email that I had missed. I emailed him last night. I will let you guys know what happens as the world turns........
*Brett*

Offline 71GTX

• It's a fine line between a hobby & mental illness!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008 - 06:13:40 PM »
 :popcorn:
69 RoadRunner (clone)
70 Cuda 383 4 speed (project) one of the first few off the line at Hamtramck with a 1017XX VIN
70 Cuda convertible 340 4 speed (project)
70 Barracuda (project)
71 GTX 440 4 speed (project)
72 Cuda 340 3 speed (project)
3 Harleys
95 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

Expensive Pee is the end result of Expensive Beer!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008 - 08:15:04 PM »
LOL sorry, I forgot to update. I am sending him a usps money order for the rivets. He was suprised I contacted him and had wrote them off. Feels much better being able to make it right.
*Brett*

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008 - 08:50:45 PM »
LOL sorry, I forgot to update. I am sending him a usps money order for the rivets. He was suprised I contacted him and had wrote them off. Feels much better being able to make it right.
Glad to hear you were able to make it right. I am even more glad that you wanted to make it right. You are the kind of person that is great to have here at CC. :2thumbs:

Since he can't list these on Ebay will you send his email address to my email address in my profile so I can get some.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008 - 08:53:38 PM by Challenger6pak »
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008 - 06:36:47 AM »

Glad you were able to track him down...I'm sure you have a more clear conscience for doing that!  :grinyes:

You did the right thing.  If more people were like you the world would be a better place!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:23:27 AM »
Group Hug!!! :dogpile: :dogpile:

Really, nice going man :thumbsup:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0