Author Topic: New Dokken Album Is Rokken  (Read 831 times)

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
New Dokken Album Is Rokken
« on: May 13, 2008 - 11:25:22 PM »
Ordinarily I wouldn't post this here, but that Airbourne thread is still going after a year so....

I received the new Dokken album (Lightning Strikes Again) today and it is GREAT.  For the last 14 years they tried to keep up with music styles, which resulted in neither good Dokken music nor good albums when they were released [like when Kiss did that dreadful disco album - not good Kiss nor good disco (if there is such a thing)].  For this album they went back to the classic 1981-1995 Dokken sound.  If you like that era Dokken, get this album.  You can hear previews of the songs at Dokken's website.

Here's a teaser:
http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/lsa-soto.wax

BTW the new Whitesnake album that was released last week is also good, but I like the new Dokken better.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 - 11:57:58 AM by JeffAARy »

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: New Dokken Album Is Rokken
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008 - 09:08:07 AM »
Wow!  Have I been out of it.  Sad to say but I grew up to that music, and didn't even know they were still putting out albums.  I'll definitely have to check them out.  Thanks!

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008 - 09:45:25 AM »
OMG - Haven't heard about Dokken in ages!  I just hope it is Hard Rockin' and not a bunch of that late 80's/early 90's ballad cr@p that the Metal bands had to do to get air play   :ylsuper:  It wasn't grunge that killed metal - it was bands like Poison   :eek4:  :puke:
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008 - 10:02:52 AM »
Is it Don Dokken and George Lynch?  Last I heard they weren't on speaking terms.  I grew up listening to them and still have their albums in my MP3 player.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008 - 10:28:34 AM »
Is it Don Dokken and George Lynch?  Last I heard they weren't on speaking terms.  I grew up listening to them and still have their albums in my MP3 player.

Hey Scatterbrain - is it just a coincidence that there was a band named Scatterbrain as well or are you a fan?  "Drunkin Milkman, Driving Drunk"   :roflsmiley:

Offline kissalien

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008 - 10:41:35 AM »

If there's no George Lynch, it's still just a Don Dokken album to me.

Offline kissalien

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008 - 10:42:17 AM »
Hey Scatterbrain - is it just a coincidence that there was a band named Scatterbrain as well or are you a fan?  "Drunkin Milkman, Driving Drunk"   :roflsmiley:

I loved the first album. I'm with stupid and he's with me. 

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008 - 11:46:03 AM »
If there's no George Lynch, it's still just a Don Dokken album to me.

Lynch is not on the album, but it is obvious that they copied his style on it.  It definitely has a Lynch sound to it.  I think they pulled it off.  I have not liked any Dokken album since Lynch left, this one is excellent.  Most of these songs sound like they would have fit perfectly on the "Under Lock And Key," "Back For The Attack," or "Dysfunctional" albums.  Go to the website and listen to the track previews and judge for yourself.  I can tell you that in the last 12 hours I have listened to the first track at least ten times, and I was sleeping during 8 of those hours.  It is that good.

Here is the first track.  Tell me the guitar bit that starts 15 seconds in doesn't sound like Lynch:
http://www.dokken.net/songsamples/lsa-soto.wax
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008 - 11:55:56 AM by JeffAARy »

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008 - 12:49:13 PM »

Naw, I've heard of them before, but the orgins of my nick are actually from comics.  There was a short lived series called Strikeforce Morituri.  A group of people choose to undergo a procedure that would give them super powers in order to fight an alien menace.  The draw back is that the powers will kill them within a year.  One of the characters was called Scatterbrain.

On the Dokken front (listening to the Greatest Hits as I write this), it can't be Dokken without George Lynch.

I remember back on the very first day of Senior English in High School my teacher, Mr. Trigo passed out a book.  It was bound and had a cardboard cover.  It was the previous year's class project, an anthology of stories that his students wrote.  He was very excited.  They were his "honors" class, as were we and he wanted to point out how much he expected from us this year.  He started reading one the stories.  To his surprise I started singing along.  He stopped and said please let me finish, I know Javier (the guy who wrote the story) may have told you about this.  To which I replied "who the hell is Javier? That's a Dokken song."  He said "you must be mistaken."  I said, "nope, listen"  I reached into my bag and pulled out my Under Lock and Key tape and slapped it in the walkman, fast forwarded to the song "Will the Sun Rise" and watched him slowly get really, really mad.  He collected all the books and walked to the Principal's office.  He comes back and apologizes.  They had printed up over 100 of these Anthologies and they couldn't sell them or keep them as is with copywritten material.  Needless to say our Anthology book didn't get as far as the printed stage.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008 - 07:13:53 PM »

The only thing I can remember from Scatterbrain was a song called "I'm not going down with the ship". It was pretty much a collage of songs by other bands. I'd LOVE to find that song out there in illegally downloading land.   :misbehaving:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008 - 09:53:27 PM »

The only thing I can remember from Scatterbrain was a song called "I'm not going down with the ship". It was pretty much a collage of songs by other bands. I'd LOVE to find that song out there in illegally downloading land.   :misbehaving:

Mike

Glad to see I am not the only twisted person out here that liked their stuff  :cheers: