Author Topic: Weird situation, not Mopar  (Read 1057 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Weird situation, not Mopar
« on: May 16, 2008 - 02:57:40 PM »
75,000 and the brake squealers started going off on the Hyundai right on schedule. They're also the loudest squealers I've ever had, so I was motivated to change these brakes out quickly. I found three odd issues here.

1) Both of the left side pads have a diagonal groove, which I'm assuming is meant to help vent dust. The out pad on the right side also had a groove. The inner right pad, no groove. Is there any reason other than factory screw-up that you guys can imagine why this would be so?

2) Same pad (the grooveless right inner) has rough high spots. How can a pad have high spots?

3) After completing this, my car no longer pulls to the left, as it has for the last 75,000 miles. One might presume that the pad with the high spots was rubbing; this would also explain the on-and-off braking vibration I had, which has gone away as well. So...if the right side was sticking/rubbing, wouldn't the car pull to the right?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

sleepychallenger

Re: Weird situation, not Mopar
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008 - 03:26:28 PM »
ChallengerHK,

The diagnal grooves are there to help vent dust. Not sure why you would have high spots unless it warped or had maybe hard spots in the pad. they would explain the pull and vibrations.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008 - 04:21:37 PM »
How were the rotors? Any grooves worn in by the pad with the high spots?

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008 - 05:00:09 PM »
How were the rotors? Any grooves worn in by the pad with the high spots?

Rotors about average for 75k. Some slight low spots which probably are from the high spots on the pads, but nothing outrageous, and braking is mooth for the first time since I've owned the car.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008 - 05:37:08 PM »
Hey David..........glad you are back on the straigth and narrow.............. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:.  Maybe your car was assembled on a Monday morning......... :wave:
Dave or David

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008 - 07:06:40 PM »
  Maybe your car was assembled on a Monday morning......... :wave:

...Or a Friday afternoon.  :lol: My sister has an Accel, just because she has a 100 mile trip to work and back each day. Good gas mileage, but she has had odd problems with sensors on the engine. Random acceleration problems when it's humid.   :clueless: She has spent $$$, and the dealer is still clueless.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008 - 11:31:52 PM »
Honestly, aside from the handling problems, it's been a pretty good car, even though I give it a lot of crap. Of course, bad handling really irks me, but when I got it I was in a hurry and it was all that I could afford.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008 - 01:09:09 AM »
I have to think there was some dirt in the left caliper causing it to drag & causing the pull as well , forcing the piston back into the caliper must have loosened it
 the pads must have had some hard spots in the material to cause high spots , & turning or replacing the rotors would have eliminated the brake pulsing when stopping

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t