Author Topic: **Stolen Car alert**  (Read 29746 times)

Offline thecarkid1970

Re: **Stolen Car alert**
« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2008 - 09:01:42 PM »
Hello All,  Thanks again for everyones help.  I hired the PI to locate this person who I think might be involved in stealing my car.  I didn't know the kid very well, but I remembered where he used to work and what he looked like.  I described the kids appearence to the store manager and she replied "you mean Cliff".  This kid's pretty distinctive looking; he has a ring in his lip and a lot of tatoos on his arms.  The kid has freckles, a light complexion and sandy blonde or light brown hair.  Height is about 5'9" to 5' 10"ish with a slender build.  The store manager at the store Cliff used to work at would not give me his last name, but she did recently say she heard he might be moving to Georgia.  I don't know if he has my car or if he stole it and sold it, but I want to find out.  I told the cops about this character a few days after my car was taken but the store manager said they had not contacted her.  I'm a little steamed over hearing this.  I guess I have to just keep harassing the police.

I also recently was contacted by someone who saw an add I put up on Craig's list who stated he was quite certain he had seen my Challenger at a place in Durham NC.  I'll expound more on this tomorrow I want to get you fellows opinions on the matter.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2008 - 09:29:29 PM »
 Some leads are good to hear about. Wish you sucess on getting it back.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2008 - 10:15:07 PM »
Would it help or hurt if some of us posted "Wanted - Challenger" ads to craigslist?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2008 - 10:51:18 PM »
Hello All,   I think might be involved in stealing my car.  I didn't know the kid very well, but I remembered where he used to work and what he looked like.  I described the kids appearence to the store manager and she replied "you mean Cliff".  This kid's pretty distinctive looking; he has a ring in his lip and a lot of tatoos on his arms.  The kid has freckles, a light complexion and sandy blonde or light brown hair.  Height is about 5'9" to 5' 10"ish with a slender build. 

Wasn't he seen on Cops recently?  :smilielol:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2008 - 11:55:32 PM »
I agree that posting a wanted ad in the Durham Craigslist saying you will pay big bucks for a Chally or Chally parts might encourage them to sell it to you. I would post it in the Cars for Sale section too, really all over CL.
You must also think, did this person tell you it was in Durham trying to get your attention somewhere else? Maybe they had a hand in it and want to divert you.
I would find Cliff! Check out Durham and find a cop that likes musclecars and maybe he would be sympathetic to your cause. Also, contacting a local car club or better yet, showing up at one of their meetings and asking around if anyone has contacts in the local PD might net you some cooporation from Johnny Law.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2008 - 06:39:19 AM »
Hi Joe,
I posted a link to your post here on my car club web site. It's the Tidewater Mopar Club located in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia (near Virginia Beach, VA) Not too far from your area. The wider distribution of this info the better. If any of you CC.com members live in the mid-atlantic area of the USA and belong to a car club, please post this info for Joe on your club web site!!! Or for that matter, any car related web site! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2008 - 11:16:40 AM »
 :popcorn: I hope you find Cliff,  and maybe with enough "pressure" if he was the culprit he'll fess up.
Good luck, we are all anxiously waiting for a good result.
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline thecarkid1970

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2008 - 08:59:14 PM »
Hey ChallengerHK, I think a Craig's list wanted ad might be a good idea.  As Go-fish just stated I think it's very possible someone could be trying to mislead me.  It was interesting to note that when the Craig's list add was first put up it would get flagged and taken down about every fifteen minutes.  My friend who put it up was complaining about it and I remember wondering out loud if the person who kept flagging my ad was the thief.  I wonder if Craig's list keeps records of that sort of thing. 

I received one tip off of Craig's list that I had the cop's check out.  A fellow emailed me saying he worked a job near were I live and drove by my car everyday and stopped to look at it on several occasions.  He said that he was a serious Mopar man and used to have a 73 Challenger.  He seemed to know Mopars very well in our phone conversation and said he had seen my car at a place near Durham NC, near the intersection of Hwy 70 and Hwy 751 for those in this area.  I gave this info to the detective who went out there and questioned the guy running the place.  Detective Crutchfield told me the guy said that he had just sold a 72 Challenger but had not had a 70.  I went out there myself last Friday and asked the guy if he dealt in any mopars and he said he had just sold a Charger and a 73 Challenger.  Detective Crutchfield also told me that he had asked if they did cars for other people and they had said no.  However, I saw an add in the local paper a few days later where they were advertising for complete restorations as well as mechanical work.  I called Detective Crutchfield, and pointed out this discrepancy in the info he had given me and the newspaper ad.  I also called Carl again, the guy who gave me the tip, and asked him how close he was to the car that he had seen there and if he saw the back or front.  He stated he was within 50 feet and that he saw the back of the car as it was being pulled into their garage.  I'm not sure what to make of all of this; If I remember correctly the tail lights of a 70 Challenger are quite a lot different from a 73?  Carl said he had a 73 and therefore knows what the tailights look like.  I passed this thought on to detective Crutchfield.  Either the guy I talked to at the place near durham is lying or Carl can't tell the difference between a 70 Challenger and a 73.  I'm making the assumption the person the cop talked to had told him about the 73 and the cop mistakenly told me it was a 72 Challenger, or could it be they can't remember what year Challenger they just recently sold.  Carl suggested I try to talk to DMV and find out if the place got a salvage title for a Challenger; he said he would mail me a notarized affidavit that he had seen my car at that place.  I have not yet received the affidavit.  The person who I talked with at the place in Durham, a very heavy set white guy, told me they ship there cars to Newjersey and Florida for painting and then ship them back to Durham.  There was only one other person at the place the day I went there, a hispanic fellow.  That's pretty much the entire story.  I'm interested in hearing what you folks think of it and Thanks Matt for posting my info on the Tidewater site.  I was also just looking through my old emails that I had sent to detective Crutchfield and found that I had sent him an email about my suspicions concerning Cliff and his previous place of employement on May 15th.  His former boss said yesterday the police still had not contacted her about Cliff or his whereabouts.  I'm going to keep bugging the detective about checking this guy out.

Joe.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008 - 02:37:44 PM by thecarkid1970 »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2008 - 09:19:15 PM »
I'll post a craiglist ad in Fayetteville, NC. If nobody else does the surrounding areas I'll do some of those as well.

Here's the Fayetteville "bait."

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/car/768892640.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008 - 09:33:00 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2008 - 10:43:47 PM »
If I were you, I'd take the detectives number off your post. If you pi55 him off, you lose.

Also, I know you want to keep us informed, but the bad guys could be reading this stuff too. Better to keep the detailed information confidential until its over, then fill us in. Or, you can pretty much tell us the whole story without giving names, addresses, detailed descriptions, etc.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2008 - 07:52:49 AM »
Good point jeryst.

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2008 - 10:40:15 AM »
Just wondering if people should post craigslist add all up and down the east coast for you.  Your car may no longer be in your area.
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline thecarkid1970

« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2008 - 02:31:07 PM »
Good point Jeryst, I do not want to piss off the detective I removed his phone number.  I talked with the detective again this morning, finally got in touch, he appologized about not following up on the lead with the person at the gas station he said he had just overlooked it, but said he would head down there today.  We discussed more about the garage I've already mentioned.  The detective said he walked in the place as a plane clothed officer and just started asking about Mopars and Challengers specifically and that's when the guy voluntered the info about the 73 Challenger.  He said he was convinced the guy was telling the truth.  I personally wasn't sure what to think of the story.  I felt a little hesitant in some ways about putting the info about Cliff on this site, but the flip side of the coin is if one of you happens to meet a Cliff fitting the description driving a pretty nice 70 Challenger at a cruise in or car show you can ask him were he got such a nice ride. 

Hey ChalllengerHK I like the "bait".  I think the Craig's list thing is a really good idea if you guys want to put a bunch up I would really appreciate that.

Joe.

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #103 on: September 03, 2008 - 10:23:48 AM »
Any news on this??     :popcorn:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #104 on: September 03, 2008 - 11:38:53 AM »
...And the pics got deleted from this site so it might be a good idea to post them again