Author Topic: Tunnel Ram 6 Pack - Mechanical Linkage  (Read 8947 times)

Offline nqkjw

Tunnel Ram 6 Pack - Mechanical Linkage
« on: May 19, 2008 - 01:15:26 PM »
I am building a new induction system for my barracuda but going mechanical rather than vacuum for the secondary carbs.
The manifold is Weiand with Chrysler part number.
The centre primary carb is a 650 and the two outboard secondary carbs are 350s and all 3 are overhauled.
Has anyone here used a mechanical secondary linkage set up and what did you use? Pics would be good ;D
Linking the 2 outboard carbs is easy. Just need to figure out the best linkage to use to transition in the secondaries and have it so I can vary when the secondaries start to open.
I'll be able to figure out,find or make something myself but it's good to see what others have done.
Saw one linkage setup in Brisbane but that one is a good example of how not to do it :lol:

Burnouts are cool but Traction is the Action

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Tunnel Ram 6 Pack - Mechanical Linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008 - 01:59:37 PM »
I have seen the same linkage used on 4 different mech 6 pack systems , it is a rod with a slider to allow approx 30% opening of the center carb before the end carbs are opened , unfortunatly I do not have a source for it though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008 - 02:08:23 PM »
 :o  Wow!  Never saw a tunnel ram 6 pack before!  Looks very cool!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008 - 06:30:14 PM »
I agaree with Chryco. And was also wondering if the outboard carbs have accelerator pumps to.  Mr Gasket makes a set. It would be universal for also fitting old pontiacs and oldsmobile engines

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008 - 06:30:46 PM »
That slider linkage used to come with the original type six pack intake when you bought it direct from Edelbrock.  Maybe they offer it seperate.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008 - 06:41:30 PM »
Neat manifold, that looks like an old SuperStocker manifold back from the 70's.
Any work done inside?
Going to look cool on a street car...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 - 08:51:23 PM by vinb »

nivvy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008 - 06:53:49 PM »
 :bigsmile: man if i could only remembr  :clueless:

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008 - 06:59:42 PM »
I have seen the same linkage used on 4 different mech 6 pack systems , it is a rod with a slider to allow approx 30% opening of the center carb before the end carbs are opened , unfortunatly I do not have a source for it though

I've only recently joined this site but after a bit of reading around I've worked out you are one of the gurus on this sort of thing and thought you'd have some input :2thumbs:
I've seen those sliding linkages before but never used them so haven't paid much attention to them.As far as I can make out they are some sort of spring loaded sliding tube arrangement?
Another idea I was tossing around was sort of like the adjustable kickdown rod on auto linkages.
I've worked with many multiple carbs before (mostly 6cyl) but they are simple as all 3 carbs work together.

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008 - 07:03:34 PM »
:o  Wow!  Never saw a tunnel ram 6 pack before!  Looks very cool!  :thumbsup:

When ya get older it's not how quick ya go but how ya look while you're doing it!!!  :wow: :grinyes:

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008 - 07:07:16 PM »
I agaree with Chryco. And was also wondering if the outboard carbs have accelerator pumps to.  Mr Gasket makes a set. It would be universal for also fitting old pontiacs and oldsmobile engines

I'm using accel pumps on the outboard carbs but I've blanked off the power valves and richened the jets a couple of sizes.
A bit experimetal to start with but trial and error once it's fitted will sort it out ;D

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008 - 07:15:55 PM »
Neat manifold, that looks like an old SuperStocker manifold back from the 70's.
Any work done inside?
Going to cool on a street car...

Manifold is unmolested.
It came up on USebay abt 2 yrs ago and I recognised it from the old DC catalogue from the late 70s/early 80s?
It was one of those things I just had to have and was prepared to pay way more than it was worth.
I believe they are now rare and collectible and mine is possibly the only one in Australia. :ylsuper:

Yes,it should look real cool on a street car!! Nothing impresses people more than lots of carbies and things sticking up out the bonnet (hood) :bigsmile:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008 - 07:51:11 PM »
I have no clue about the linkages but maybe like Chryco suggested look at some of the tri-power stuff GM had way back when and look at lots of pics.  :dunno:

Here's a company that deals with old intakes and carbs.  Don't know if this is helpful and a couple of pics of an old  '57 GM setup to maybe get some ideas?  I dunno...  :dunno:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

Passenger side

Driver side

Or maybe these guys can give an idea?  :dunno:

http://www.vintagespeed.com/carbs.htm

Here's instructions on PDF file of the Rochester tri power set up on a Pontiac to get some ideas?  I dunno...  :dunno:

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/Instructions/Rochester%20Tri-Power%20Small%20Base.pdf

This is a Barry Grant Six Shooter set up that looks like it works on the center carb first then the outers kick in and looks like you may be able to adjust when the outer carbs kick in...

http://www.competitionplus.com/2004_09_15/new_products.html
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008 - 08:00:08 PM »
Or maybe these guys can help?  :dunno:

http://www.carburetion.com/tripower.htm

This link has tripower "anatomy" and shows how the linkages work.  Nice pics too.  Linkage can be set as to when the secondaries open.  I would imagine GM resto places having this type of setup.  Again, I dunno...  :dunno:

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=res20011201tp&cccid=5&scccid=5

Offline duodec

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008 - 01:48:02 AM »
I think Offenhauser used to offer the mechanical triple carb linkage.  Unfortunately the only catalog I could find listed all such as no longer available, and no part numbers were provided.  Summit comes up with a couple of 'triple' linkage sets if you search for linkage then select Offenhauser, but does not provide images or descriptions.

Didn't Mopar Performance (Direct Connection timeframe) used to provide a mechanical 6-pack linkage at one time?  My older stuff is still all packed away, and its not in the '93 catalog (oldest I have) or the DC 1984 Engine book, but it sure sounds like something they might once have carried.

Offline nqkjw

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008 - 02:35:09 AM »
Didn't Mopar Performance (Direct Connection timeframe) used to provide a mechanical 6-pack linkage at one time?  My older stuff is still all packed away, and its not in the '93 catalog (oldest I have) or the DC 1984 Engine book, but it sure sounds like something they might once have carried.

[/quote]

I'd have thought the std vacuum carbs would have just been used but I could be wrong.
I think I may know where I can get a look at an old old DC catalogue so I might chase that up :2thumbs: