Author Topic: I need to vent...  (Read 901 times)

Offline Ghost

• Resident
  • I miss my Barracuda :(
I need to vent...
« on: May 20, 2008 - 04:05:20 AM »
I've been driving the Fury daily for the past few weeks, and I love everything but the gas milage (but I didn't buy it for the gas milage, so I don't really care all that much).  It's big, comfortable, roomy, and has plenty of getup and go for something of it's size.

Yesterday, I got into the Barracuda to move it around the driveway, and after driving the C body so much, the A body interior felt small, and cramped.  I've never felt that way before, and I drove it daily for over 2 years, but now...  On top of that, it's engine is having issues, and I really need to pull it out and rebuild it.  And once I start doing that, I'll start tearing the rest of the car apart, too.  It's probably going to be years before I really drive my Barracuda again.

Lately, the thought of selling it, and putting the money towards the Fury, has entered my mind.  I mean, the Barracuda needs alot of work, is no longer suitable for driving around, and just sits in the driveway, while the Fury has a big block, is more comfortable, and can carry alot more stuff.  But I know that if I sell it, I'll miss it, and it'll be a while before I could afford to replace it.  It's also worth more than the Fury, and is one of my dream cars.  And it has sentimental value.  Still, in the back of my mind, I consider selling it.

Maybe I'm just a little freaked out by the fact that it's going to be a long time before I can enjoy driving it again.  I don't know.  I just need some sense talked into me, so that I don't make a mistake, and sell it off.

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: I need to vent...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008 - 04:09:06 AM »

Don't worry Ghost, you'll get past the difference. Don't sell the Barracuda, it's a real classic. So is the Fury but for different reasons lol, if that makes sense? I'm lucky enough to own and have owned a wide variety of cars, from a small Subaru import wagon that's cramped to a lifted Jeep Cherokee Overland. Change is good, for me anyhow and it's nice to be use to different driving environments and different cars/transmissions/drivetrains. Good practise. :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008 - 07:44:23 AM »
take a few days off without stressing over it. I thought about selling my cuda quite a few times, with some hefty sums offered before. still have it, i know have a beater '05 ranger that keeps me sane. what exactly is wrong with the barracuda? is it rotting apart or just mechanical? my car isn't the most solid one out there, but it is fixable with time.

...if its mechanical, its really 'no big deal'. If you aren't too handy around these things maybe hang out at car shows or something and try and find someone who is. That was my saving grace when i got my car, i had never changed spark plugs in a car when i bought it....i rebuilt the motor with my friend less than six months later.

And you may reconsider the 273 once gas gets a little higher and that BB gets more thirsty...
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline CrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008 - 08:04:04 AM »
It'll be ok Ghost we all have been through this.  I cant tell you the number of times ive wanted to sell my stuff.  In the last 19+ years of owned my gran coupe about 10 of those years the car hasnt been able to move under its own power.  I think from time to time all the cash ive dumped into that car.  And it makes me sick, but then i think when it did move it REALLY MOVED!  Just take a step back and reflect and things will be ok.  On a side note if you end up wanting to sell it let me know i want a A body barracuda bad i got a 383 here waiting for it! :bigsmile:

1970 Dodge Challenger T/A      http://heartlandmopars.com
1970 Plymouth Barracuda Gran Coupe
1976 Dodge Dart Sport
"Is that an oil leak?  No it's just sweat from all that HORSEPOWER"

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008 - 09:10:23 AM »
No way   :grinno:     Dump the Fury. Pimp the B'cuda.   Get a station wagon with a 4 banger.     :dunno:   Whatever you do,Don't sell it. Things change.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008 - 12:41:21 PM »
No way   :grinno:     Dump the Fury. Pimp the B'cuda.   Get a station wagon with a 4 banger.     :dunno:   Whatever you do,Don't sell it. Things change.

Or, if you can afford to do so, find a cheap four banger daily driver for gas mileage, keep the Fury as a "truck"/cruise vehicle/future restoration project and get started working on the Barracuda.  That's essentially what I have - the UAV that I bought for $2100 cash and paid for itself in gas savings in less than two years, Clifford for hauling stuff and the occasional V8 fix and the Challenger to restore.

Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008 - 01:27:31 PM »
I understand what you mean about the Fury being nice, my father has a 69 Newport.  If you can put the Barracuda in storage for a couple of years and not worry about it, then take it back out, you will be very motivated to fix the problems quickly.  That is sorta what I did to my Challenger.   :2cents:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar