Author Topic: New master Cylinder for a 70 Challenger  (Read 968 times)

Offline Tropicalcats

• Resident
  • Don't Ever, Ever Give Up
New master Cylinder for a 70 Challenger
« on: May 23, 2008 - 06:40:13 PM »
Since I can't seam to find or be able to afford an original master for my 70 Challenger R/T with power disc. I will need to buy a new one. Whats the best place to buy? and what type should I look for to get as close as I can to stock look?
1970 Challenger R/T 383  Matching#s JS23N0E under construction. It's Plum Crazy
SOLD

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: New master Cylinder for a 70 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008 - 06:51:15 PM »
I got one at Autozone.  Lifetime warranty and I think it was between $15 and $25. Lifetime there means you can return it in 10 years and still get a refund.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008 - 06:59:52 PM »
This is another place you could try...................

http://www.rockauto.com/     :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008 - 12:15:39 AM »
This is another place you could try...................

http://www.rockauto.com/     :2thumbs:

That is where I bought my whole brake system, including the master cylinder. 
One warning, though...Rock Auto just put my parts into whatever boxes they could find, and used NO packing material - nothing.  So the parts were rattling around in the box (which was smashed and torn) and several parts were damaged beyond recognition.  When I contacted them, they wanted ME to file a claim with the shipper.  They fought me for over a month, and refused to replace some of the parts, unless I shipped them back at MY expense.  From now on, I only go to a local store (AutoZone, Advance, Carquest...)

-Tom

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008 - 02:33:35 AM »
Maybe that's why the parts are so cheap.  Do they still pack parts this way?
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008 - 08:38:45 AM »
I don't think rockauto actually packs/ships anything.  Everything is drop-shipped from the supplier.  Each supplier packs differently.  I have used rockauto a few times and have been happy.  The way I have found to get the best price from them is when placing an order, only order parts from the same supplier.  If you don't they keep upping the shipping.  When you add something to your cart, watch how many differrent packages you will be getting when you go check out.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008 - 11:29:47 PM »
^^^ I disagree

I don't want to get OT, into a thread to slag Rock Auto.  But my Cardone brake parts came in a Raybestos box, and my Timken bearings came (smashed) in a Lucas Oil box.  The 2 rotors were in different style boxes, and one had fallen completely out on the ground.  So somebody outside of the suppliers threw the stuff into random boxes, didn't bother with packing material, and then shipped it to me, apparently after running over it with a forklift truck.  What made me even more upset was their ridiculous attitude, and insisting that I take a bunch of pictures, and send it back at MY expense!

But back to the poster's question.  You can find the original looking master cylinder (and other brake parts, for that matter) at many parts stores and online.  After my 'incident' with Rock Auto, I even found the original K-H style calipers at a local Murray's store!  You should be able to find the original style of MC at quite a few stores - I suggest taking a picture of one with you.

-Tom
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008 - 11:32:08 PM by 70_challenger »