Author Topic: TC's Leadwork  (Read 2256 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
TC's Leadwork
« on: May 24, 2008 - 11:14:55 PM »
I did some lead work today. The first pics are the supplies. The kevlar gloves are heat and burn proof material...a must have. The brillo pad is used to scuff in the flux as you heat it onto the panel. Have at least 2 paddles already dipped in the tallow ready to go prior.

This was tricky to do. You really need 3 hands. One to hold the paddle, one for the torch and one holding the lead. So you are switching things very quickly because the lead hardens in a split second. Too much heat and it runs off like water, Not enough, and you're paddling a rock into the panel, not accomplishing anything. After washing the panel clean with baking soda and laquer thinner after tinning; I heated up the entire area gradually. The most recommended thing is to get the work surface as close to horizontal as possible. This is so you won't have lead running off so easily. I was able to get my car to about a 45 degree angle for the lead work. Put the lead on above the area you are targeting and then let it run down to the target. At the same time quickly paddle and smooth while keeping the lead to the consistency of soft mud without watering away from too much heat. When to heat and how much to heat is the key. Another trick I quickly learned was that I would take leftover chunks that ran down and layed them on the areas to lead. Since they were thinner, they mushed quicker than the rod itself. So then I took one inch pieces separately and layed them on, then did the work. This proved to be easier to mush into place than using the heated end of the whole lead rod. Body filler will now be less than 1/8th of an inch throughout thereby eliminating any possible telegraphing that body filler alone tends to do on the quarter panel seam. Telegraphing is when the body filler expands at a different rate from hot and cold.  Once you get the idea on how to do this, I think you will discover how much better lead is to use over body filler.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Re: TC's Leadwork
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 - 12:32:31 AM »
 :clapping:  I'm glad you got started on your leading.  I watched the first 10 minutes of the video and they make it look soooo easy to do.  Like you said, three hands are needed.  I see you already found a shortcut by using the smaller pieces of lead to liquify. 

:thumbsup:  Post more pictures of your progress when you get some time because I know you're going to be busy with the torch!!!
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 - 01:05:58 AM »
I'm thinking a smaller diameter tip on the torch would control the melt down point better. The wider tip blasts too much. I'll try next with a little less flame.

Tomorrow I'll be doing the other side and should have a video.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008 - 05:32:26 AM »
 :bananasmi Great going TC.............. What size torch are you using  :dunno: :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008 - 08:58:25 AM »
 :popcorn:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008 - 10:15:40 AM »
:bananasmi Great going TC.............. What size torch are you using  :dunno: :2thumbs:

The first pic shows the ignitor box. It's pretty wide. I recall the video he had the dia. of about a pencil or a little thicker than. The out let on mine is about the size of a sharpie.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline AprilsPink72Cuda

• Global Moderator
  • Resident
  • 1972 'Cuda 340/Wappingers Falls, NY
    • Klondike's Website (Check it out!)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008 - 01:31:24 PM »
Keep up the good work TC!   :cooldancing:

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008 - 10:28:33 PM »
This is when I did the lower portion of the quarter panel. It took me 3 tries to figure out how not to keep having the lead fall off.

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/topcatcuda/?action=view&current=100_3883.flv

http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w55/topcatcuda/?action=view&current=100_3884.flv
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008 - 12:39:58 AM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008 - 10:39:05 PM »
Looks like an aquired skill. I commend you TC for having the 0 0 's to do it. Keep us updated on your progress. I remember doing it in shop class many moons ago, doubt if I'd be quick enough now.  :thumbsup:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008 - 03:15:31 AM »
The lead is the only way to do it right! Looking good!

I can give you few tips I've learned from my lead working. I checked the videos and for me it seems like you are acting with bit too much haste. When I started working with the lead, I received help from one old geezer who had done the lead work for decades. Based on his tips and in my opinion the best way of getting the lead into the metal with good success is to first heat up the tip of the lead bar 1/2" long or so and stop when it starts to curve because of the gravity. You can twist the bar around so that the tip wont break and drop of if it was slightly overheated. After that, heat up the area you are going to plant the piece. Then gently tuck the tip of the lead bar into the heated area and keep on heating the area around the tip of the bar until you notice that the lead starts to slightly "run" on the edges and contacts into the surface. Now, back of the torch and let it cool down for few seconds and twist the lead bar so that the pre heated tip breaks loose and stays in the metal. It usually stays, but it will take some practise, especially in places like you were doing in the video. I've worked with 100% vertical surfaces but never anything over that.

I never use paddles at the same time I'm adding the lead lumps into the surface and doing so I don't run into problems with the limited amount of available hands. As far as I know, you don't need to smooth the lumps at the same time while adding them. Sometimes I just add the lead lumps and take a coffee break after that. I can always reheat the lead and start processing it with the paddle bit later.

I hope that this helps. I'm far from perfect and always willing to take more tips also, just wanted to share the knowledge I've learned from the trials and errors so far.  :thumbsup:
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008 - 09:38:00 AM »
Thanks for the tips KK. I appreciate any input on how to do this.
I agree. I should've heated the bar up longer.
I would'nt call myself an expert by any means.  :lol:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008 - 11:27:31 AM »
Seems like it just takes great amount of patience to work with this stuff. I've also wasted probably couple bars into those "whops" from my mouth and after that "slosh" sound from the liquid lead hitting the floor. How much does the lead bars cost in US? Cheapest I've found here in Finland are ~8usd. The ones you are using look pretty much the same as I have here. The brand I'm using is Bera.

What are you using to smooth the lead down? Previously I used very rough file, which was supposed to be used with lead, but I found out that it was way too slow tool for me. Now I've been using respirator & electric angle  grinder (not sure if the term is right) combo with 80 grit sanding discs. It is fast to use altough it usually leads into some waves on a larger surface, but it should cover up with light layer of regular bondo.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008 - 12:24:22 PM »
Mike,   My Dad was the head of the Medical dept. at the GM ST. Louis Plant then later the GM Wentzville Plant. I went on a couple of assembly line tours and watched the guys leading the body panels. I saw all of their leading spreading on smooth as spreading butter. The work didn't look like your pics.  I'm not trying to put down your work but I don't want you to end up with a "cold solder joint" type bond.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008 - 12:36:26 PM »
Well then TC's work would be a factory correct finish compared to a GM in its day.   :roflsmiley:

Just kidding.  Looks like fun, I love metalwork.  Like Bigs said, definitely needs to be aquired.  Looks good for the first time.   :2thumbs:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008 - 12:51:16 PM »
I watched your video and you are using the Harbor Freight type torch for soldering copper pipes. I remember the torches using some kind of "broad flame" tip to spread the flame over a wide area and not pinpointing it to one spot. I remember those tips on some of the other nozzles in the hardware stores.  Keep up the good work. I've been watching your thread.

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0