Author Topic: Side mirror question / confirmation  (Read 2945 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Side mirror question / confirmation
« on: May 25, 2008 - 02:46:59 PM »
I just took a shot of the mirrors i have to install on my 70. I have a photo of the four mirrors. I think the two on the right are for a 70 Cuda? the one all the way to the left is a 71 to 74 passenger side mirror? And the next one from the left, i have no idea idea what its for. The One all the way to the right is the one i am going to use for the drive side. The chrome is knid of shot which is fine because i intend on painting them. I need i need a passenger side match for the one on the right. Anyone have any spares. Anyone need any of the leftovers?
Let me know thanks.

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Side mirror question / confirmation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008 - 02:49:40 PM »
Forgot the picture

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008 - 03:10:10 PM »
The ones on the right are indeed 70 versions. The far left is a 71-74 e-body version while the middle left is I think a b-body version. Check out the hole spacing difference between the left side mirrors.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008 - 03:54:14 PM »
I do have to admit i like the way the 71-74 versions fit the car better. gives a little more room between the mirror and the body of the car. The pedestal seems taller. I think i am going to go with a set of 71's all around. Maybe someone is looking to trade for a 70 d side mirror?

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008 - 04:25:22 PM »
I have the 70 style mirrors on my 70 because they belong there, but I agree that the later mirrors are easier to get a decent view out of. 

Not to get too far off topic, if anybody needs the nutsert tool and nutserts when Grancoupe is done please let me know and he can send it to you instead of back to me. :thumbsup:
** Shane **

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008 - 04:31:18 PM »
Hey FJ5, are you talking about the "gun" looking tool? I wanted to tighten mine up until i buy new mirrors. then i will take the door panel off if need be...  :working:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008 - 04:42:39 PM »
I have an extra drivers side chrome mirror. Like the one you described it is not in perfect shape and so its a perfect candidate for stripping and painting body color. Let me know if you want to trade and I will dig it out. I have a 70 Challenger with no mirrors on it so a drivers side mirror is a start. PM if you want to do a trade.
*Brett*

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008 - 05:10:35 PM »
Ok so now i have a mess. Luckily i transferred the exact hole template from the drivers door to the pass door. The 71 does not fit. I had eyed them up and transferred the hole pattern thinking they would fit each other, Not the case. So now I am stuck having to stick with the 70 version for the pass side. Any one have a spare driver quality passenger side mirror. This stinks. I thought they were the same size. I probably would not have re-drilled the driver if i had the 71 driver mirror anyway. So to summize. I have a 70 mirror in the drive door and need a 70 for the passenger door. All of the other mirror are up for grabs. Make a reasonable offer and they are yours. So as far as the mirrors go the car stays original.  :jumping:

Offline JayBee

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008 - 08:10:28 PM »
Ah, that ole Mopar God works in mysterious ways. It was built as a '70, so it shall remain as a "70.
John

1970 Barracuda convertible
2014 Toyota Avalon

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:21:10 PM »
That's funny JayBee. But I'm really one that doesn't care about the details of originality. Just as long as the car is built tight.  But yea, it looks like the 70 style mirrors are staying. I just hope there is one out there that won't cost me a fortune.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008 - 09:24:18 PM »
bb71challenger. you mentioned you were interested in the mirror. Let me know if you want better pics of it.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008 - 10:18:04 PM »
John, here are the pics I took of the mirror. I also would like other members to take note of the one adjustment lead that has the coiled shield wire eaten through exposing the adjustment wire and let me know if that affects the functionality of the mirror. It seems to move fairly well but I want to make sure.
*Brett*

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008 - 10:25:23 PM »
LOL here is one with the mirror cleaned off. I saw all the dust on there and it made the mirror look pretty nasty. Its not perfect by any means but its better than that pic showed.
*Brett*

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008 - 04:46:39 PM »
Looks like a winner to me.
Here are the two i have. Let me know which one. The first is the one that needs to be painted

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008 - 04:47:46 PM »
Here is the chrome one.