Author Topic: Differences in ducktail spoilers  (Read 6300 times)

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
Differences in ducktail spoilers
« on: May 28, 2008 - 08:28:34 AM »
I'm planning to get a ducktail spoiler for my 70' Challenger and beofre purchasing one, i'd like to know what different executions are out there. I read that there are composite and fiberglass ones. FPAP.com for example offers one in "Organsol black" (whatever that is) for 80 bucks more.

Are there any other noteworthy differences between ducktail spoilers from different manufacturers? My car is triple black and i want the spoiler to be painted in a matching black too - not to stand out in flat black rubber.

From what i read i'll need to cut out openings for the spoiler in the trunk lid. Can this cause water from washing (or rain) to run inside the trunk? What's your experience?

Offline challenger71

Re: Differences in ducktail spoilers
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008 - 02:16:24 PM »
Organsol is a type of paint that is textured to look original. It is flat black in nature. As far as different manufactures, just remember, you get what you pay for. The originals are nice if you are trying to keep it numbers matching, but they do not hold up over the years.  The new ones are either fiberglass or abs plastic. Abs plastic over time will warp, like the original ones did. As far as the holes to be cut, they are cut on the inside frame part of the trunk lid, so that a bolt can be put through it into the new spoiler. I have added a pic so that you can see where the 4 holes are cut. If you buy an aftermarket trunk, they do not come with these holes in it, you need to cut them yourself, like I did.
10 years in the making......

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008 - 03:59:10 AM »
So if abs plastic and original spoilers will warp over time, then fiberglass would be the best quality to get, as it holds up the longest?

I wouldn't want to pay for a spoiler, just to replace it after some time and buy another one. In this case i'll definitely go for fiberglass.

But doesn't the paint on fiberglass tend to crack? I had a fiberglass hood once on my Firebird and the paint had cracks all over it after just two seasons.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008 - 07:23:13 AM »
FPAP is authorized by Mopar for its ability to reproduce spoilers that most closely resemble original, right down to OEM part numbers. If you want  the original look, regardless of material, than this is the way to go.

Unlike originals, most of these cars do not sit out in sunlight day in and day out while providing daily driver duty anymore. Lifespan of ABS is going to be much better as a result.

Other places simply pull parts from a fiberglass mold without as much consideration of the stock appearance or mounting methods. For example, MAS products spoiler has no provision for for the ridge down the center of the trunk lid nor any mounting nuts but does come delivered with a handful of wood screws.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008 - 09:26:21 AM »
... nor any mounting nuts but does come delivered with a handful of wood screws.

I don't know if I should be shocked or laugh?!?!?!   :clueless:  :grinno:  :grinyes:  :dunno:

Just my  :2cents: .  I've heard more of fiberglass spoilers/wings warping or sagging.  I have what I believe is an original ABS plastic '71 Go Wing and it's very straight.

Like HP2 mentioned, these cars aren't more than likely to be daily drivers so ABS may be better.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008 - 09:29:03 AM by Super Blue 72 »
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008 - 11:23:26 AM »
Organsol is a type of paint that is textured to look original. It is flat black in nature. As far as different manufactures, just remember, you get what you pay for. The originals are nice if you are trying to keep it numbers matching, but they do not hold up over the years.  The new ones are either fiberglass or abs plastic. Abs plastic over time will warp, like the original ones did. As far as the holes to be cut, they are cut on the inside frame part of the trunk lid, so that a bolt can be put through it into the new spoiler. I have added a pic so that you can see where the 4 holes are cut. If you buy an aftermarket trunk, they do not come with these holes in it, you need to cut them yourself, like I did.

Mine is the OEM spoiler and it's almost 40 years old and I have never seen any warping in it.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline asm74

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008 - 01:23:01 PM »
Can anyone post links to ducktail spoiler sources?
73 Challenger

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008 - 03:59:54 PM »
My spoiler is fiberglass.  It has been on the car for around 10-11 years without any warping.  I got it years ago at a car show, so it is not new in away.  Sorry, I do not know who made it.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008 - 09:38:28 PM »

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008 - 11:28:26 AM »
I can vouch for the quality of the FPAP pre-painted unit.  Good quality and finish and comes with all the hardware.  I can also sell you their mounting template cheap, if you want, because I don't need it now that mine is installed.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com