Author Topic: 1971 cuda aftermarket grille?  (Read 5661 times)

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
1971 cuda aftermarket grille?
« on: March 14, 2004 - 10:06:51 PM »
 ???
I'm restoring a 1971 cuda.  Just about finished with the body work and have been looking for a grille that doesn't take a loan from the bank to get.  Several people have told me that they have heard someone is making affordable aftermarket grilles for '71 but do not know any more information on it.  If anyone knows about this please let me know.    Thanks    

Mopar or No Car!  ;D  

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re:1971 cuda aftermarket grille?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004 - 10:22:04 PM »
I have not heard anything about aftermarket grills for the 71, but if someone made a nice one. . . I bet they'd sell!  ::) ::) 8)

Offline 360 'CUDA

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004 - 10:28:47 PM »
here's the thread where we talked about this subject
awhile back

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/yabbse/index.php?board=19;action=display;threadid=3061

The grills your talking about show up on E-bay every
once in awhile but I bet DC will be shutting them down
if they havn't already >:( >:(

Offline showgoat

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004 - 03:33:34 AM »
Penstar products is supposed to be making the new grille for the 71 cuda later this year.

Offline todd383

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004 - 08:20:41 AM »
hey, PREMIERE PLASTIC REPODUCTIONS make 71 grilles, there out of calif. there # is 559-924-1353. it was in back of mopar muscle mag. april 04.

Offline Popeye

• Got Hemi?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004 - 06:33:15 PM »
Yup, Premiere Plastic Reproductions in CA. I almost bought one of their grills for my 71. But, after seeing first hand what all the other aftermarket crap is like, I decided to repair a good used one. PPR doesn't make the stainless trim or the inserts. For $750 you get a bare grill with no trim. I was afraid that the stainless and inserts would not fit correctly, if at all. They said I could send it back if I wasn't happy but I still decided against it. I paid $1500 for a good used grill with all the trim...had to repair a couple of minor cracks, and then sand and paint. It looks great and I know it fits. Let us know what you decide to to....I know everyone is wondering about the fit and accuracy of PPR's product.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004 - 06:34:09 PM by Popeye »

Offline GoFish

• Who's your daddy?
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004 - 06:49:12 PM »
$1500 for a grill in need of repairs and paint.  $750 for a repro without trim or inserts.  I've seen 1970 NOS grills on ebay sell for over $2000.  This is crazy!  It's just a piece of plastic!

If someone would repro these and sell them for $500, they'd be beating off customers with a stick...
Mike C.

Offline Triple Black hemi

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004 - 12:42:07 AM »
Does PPR have a website?
1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline Popeye

• Got Hemi?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004 - 04:08:22 PM »
They don't have a web site...unless they built one in the last 4 months or so. Save your money and buy a good used grill for $1500-$2000. Be sure it has all the stainless and inserts. You won't lose any money on it and you can always sell it. Most cracks and missing tabs can be easily fixed...just make sure that there aren't any major sections of plastic missing. There's nothing like the real thing. I wish the boys at Mopar Muscle would "test drive" one of PPR aftermarket grills.

Offline budrinker

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004 - 05:25:33 PM »
US $1,214.89 (Reserve not met)  :o

thats it im chopping up the cuda and selling it ......ill be a billionaire

Offline 71'cuda340

• Mopar OR slow car!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004 - 01:49:52 AM »
Thanks for the info.  If I decide to buy a PPR  grill,  I'll let you guys know how it fits.  For $700 it might be worth a try, I've seen broken up '71 grills go for that much on ebay. :'(  

Offline mustardketchup

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004 - 10:50:46 PM »
     Before I begin, let me state that I have not seen or examined PPR's grille.  I have no idea of the part's quality.

On Moparts.com, I believe it was Scott Harms of Harms Automotive who described in detail the difficulties in making a proper large plastic grille, such as for 'cudas.  His company, or somebody he knows, looked into what it would take to make some grilles.  To paraphrase, problems with expansion or shrinkage of the finished product will give you fits trying to put on tight-fitting pieces such as the stainless steel trim found on the 1971 grilles.

Without pissing on PPR's Corn Flakes (or disparaging their efforts), I would like to see their grilles at a Mopar show.  I would also like to see how well they accept the stainless trim, "cheese grator" inserts, headlight rings, etc.  From what has been tossed around on Mopar Q & A boards, it's no easy task to produce a grille of that size.

Whether PPR actually produces a grille seems to still be unknown.  I have a grille so that question is not keeping me up at night.  But if PPR (or Penstar Reproductions) does make a bare grille, good luck trying to get all of the other "trim" pieces at a reasonable price.

Larry  

Offline o1mrquick

• sonic auto sucks
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004 - 12:23:18 AM »
any update on this? im repairing mine right now,but its missing the whole pass side corner.Im gonna attempt to resculpt...ah i mean repair with epoxy.Its gonna be painted to match the car color anyways.Would like to see options.What ever happened to the sexton grilles?Anyone have pass side peices???trade for parts?  ::) o1

Offline b5blueaar

• Mad Max Cuda
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2004 - 10:57:44 AM »
I was going to buy the reproduction grill.
So I shopped on ebay for all the chrome trim pieces and inserts required to complete.
I was not able to buy any of chrome or inserts to complete it for anywhere near reasonable prices. I would have had more in trim than in the grill.
Finally got lucky and bought an entire 71 grill with all trim, very very nice condition, ready to use for under 1000 on ebay 2 weeks ago.  Stick with it and you can get one under 1500 complete. But prices are going up every week.