Author Topic: 150 MPG hybrid.  (Read 636 times)

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
150 MPG hybrid.
« on: June 04, 2008 - 10:47:58 AM »
So, I jump in this thing, pour in a gallon of gas and off I go on a 150 mile trip?

Not bloody likely !

This is a classic example of how to make a less than 30 mpg car look like a 150 mpg car.

http://www.afstrinity.com/

What you really do is:

Plug it in overnight, drive it a whopping 40 miles.
Then....
Plug it in overnight, drive it 40 miles on battery and 60 miles on over 2 gal. of gas.

Viola!  150+ mpg.

You can't make this stuff up ( unless you're trying to sell it. )

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline backtobasics

Re: 150 MPG hybrid.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008 - 12:35:10 PM »
Nice to see the electric cars coming back.

I watched a video, "documentary" at the suggestion of a friend.  It talked about a pilot program with GM and Saturn, on a little car, that was 90? Miles per charge.  Saturn EV-1 was what it was called.

Interesting functional deal, that was killed with combination of oil companies (by buying majority ownerships of supply parts companies) and GM (didn't want to comply with CARB mandate regarding low or zero emission cars)

Interesting watch.

Offline asm74

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008 - 03:12:14 PM »
You should see the Tesla Roadster video on Jay Leno's garage site.  It's pretty incredible how fast that thing pulls away, looks like a fun ride.  And the lotus body style is super sexy.  Every time I see an Elise on the street I get distracted.   I think they have a lock on the performance electric car market, if they can build a transmission strong enough to withstand all that torque.

73 Challenger

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008 - 06:37:55 PM »
Ya,spend twice the energy to biuld it,plug it into an outlet powered by a coal burning plant or some other polluting electric source and have hazardous batteries to dispose of at some point - not really doing much for the enviroment.  :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline asm74

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008 - 08:47:59 PM »
That used to be the case with older, cheaper battery designs (such as those used in the Prius) but the tesla roadster uses recyclable lithium-ion cells (about 7000 of them) that are federally classified as non-toxic.

I don't think these cars use any more resources than any other standard vehicle to manufacture. Regardless, the fact that it is not burning fuel to run, is a net air quality gain.
73 Challenger