5.7 hemi cuda transplant

Author Topic: 5.7 hemi cuda transplant  (Read 4835 times)

Offline 7406hemi

5.7 hemi cuda transplant
« on: June 04, 2008 - 06:06:15 PM »
Hello all. Its been awhile since my first post, but my 5.7 transplant is under way. I have a 07 5.7 going in a 74 cuda.  The 318 is removed this weekend and the fun will begin. I have done my homework on the hemi, mounts, headers, pan, ect. I stripped the hemi to the block and by weeks end all the fun stuff should arrive. Like 500 hp worth of fun stuff! I also have a new suspension and handling package. As I go along I have many questions I cant find answers to. So I am turning to all you guys for help. My two questions now are, where to get a new steering pump if needed, or can I rebuild mine? Is the 727 the tranny of choice for this project? Does it bolt up like everyone says? Is there an over drive? Is there a better tranny? Thanks for your help! I will post pics
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008 - 08:49:04 PM by 7406hemi »

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Re: 5.7 hemi cuda transplant
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008 - 09:21:49 PM »
Welcome   :wave:

I will try to help,
1.   The small block 727 if you have one from your 318 will bolt right up with the new mopar flex plate. The same if you have a factory 4 speed set up with the right     flywheel.

2.   As for overdrive trans a 5 speed would be next on the simple list or a 518 auto.

3.   All the auto transmissions will need a modified kick down cable or a manual valve body.

4.   On to the steering pump, what steering gear are you using? If it’s the factory one some say the late model chevy pump has less PSI and will not blow out the steering gears seals others have used the stock 5.7 truck pump. What are running?

Hope this helps you get started there are several people doing great builds with that motor and the 6.1 also so look around post us more information about your cars setup and your buildup.

Cheers.

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008 - 09:51:55 PM »
Welcome!   :wave:

As DB said, yep the 727 will work fine.  I put a 5 speed behind mine, should be fun.  Lets see some pics! 

:useless:

:bananasmi

Offline moprr

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008 - 05:22:15 PM »
what 5 speed did you use manual or the stock 5 speed auto

Offline 7406hemi

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008 - 06:40:16 PM »
:clueless: Thanks a lot for your input it helps allot. I want to make the smartest move with this car and only do it once. This car is going to be my after work and weekend driver, so I can park the work truck. Anyway, Can the stock 727 be modified to a 5 speed? Ever see these guys before?  http://www.redrider.us/727_transmission.htm. Is it easier to just buy a level 3 or convert to a 518. Gas mileage in Ca is a huge issue.

My steering pump is stock and seems ok but when that hemi drops in I hope it is not in the way. It would be nice to do some thing with it while the motor is out. I will take some pics Saturday when the surgery starts. Thanks again with any info. :working:

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008 - 07:39:58 PM »
Welcome to C-C.com.  You can already see there's a lot of help available here and some great people.  I spend waaayy too much time here every day.  :chatting:

If I might make a suggestion, the Newbie threads are to introduce yourself, tell us a little about you and your vehicle(s).  The questions you're asking are more appropriate to a restoration thead or entries in the specific areas you have questions about ("Transmission and Drivetrain" in this instance.)  The mods may move this thread there for you and you may wish to start a new newbie thread to introduce yourself.  If you do, don't forget:  :useless:  :cheers:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008 - 08:45:58 PM »
what 5 speed did you use manual or the stock 5 speed auto

I put a 5 speed manual behind mine...   :burnout:

Offline 7406hemi

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008 - 08:52:08 PM »
Thanks Gregs HO R/T for the advice! I was wondering how long I was sopposed to be a noob. I certainly dont feel like one. :crazy: I have a cool project going here and it is great to be apart of this site. I am also in Ca. but bay area. I will now move to the transmission area. Thanks again.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008 - 08:59:34 PM »
( quote)(My steering pump is stock and seems ok but when that hemi drops in I hope it is not in the way. It would be nice to do some thing with it while the motor is out.)

Manual steering isn't even hard on an ebody. Makes for more room too. A manual takes really no effort to steer with. Even when your stopped. I go that route everytime. Never a problem

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008 - 12:13:46 PM »
Welcome and good luck!! :2thumbs:
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!