Author Topic: 400..... Another build....  (Read 5206 times)

Offline Hot_Rodder

400..... Another build....
« on: June 05, 2008 - 06:12:44 PM »
Well, as I said over on my 361 thread, I was gonna start this post instead of continuing the 400 info under the 361 thread.... Anyway, here's the info again.....
'77 400 with flywheel, and what appears to be a factory steel crank, based on info that's been researched. Came with factory 452's which I'm gonna put off to the side in favor of a set of 516's with worked exhaust ports and bigger valves. Providing the crank is in good shape, I want to reuse it. Providing the rods are good, I want to reuse them too. The pistons, as noted in other thread, I want to go to a forged set up. But, having a time trying to find a set of forged pistons that are not for a stroker motor.... Now why not just go ahead, and just get a complete stroker kit and be done with it, good question.... Maybe I'm just being stuborn.... :screwy: :smokin: Anyway, this is going to be heading for a light weight car, I'd guess somewhere around 3k, maybe not even that much.... Car will be on the street. Car will have the 4 speed manual (for appearance instead of a 5 or 6 speed)..... Rear axle, I'm still on the lookout for, but it's being taken care of on another Mopar site.... Car isn't an E body, hince why I'm not going into a lot of detail about the car, but anyway.  :blah: I know later on down the line, when it comes to cam selection I want one that's going to have a rough idle, though the car will probably have power brakes, I'll be fine with running a vacuum reservior, but it will have manual steering.... AC has not been a consideration at this point yet. What else.... I don't know if I'm gonna use the intake I have now for a low deck big block (came off the 361, it's the Edelbrock TM6 intake, single plane, higher rpm rating, I'll find the info on it a little later on) or hunt another down..... Carb wise I'm thinking probably Proform, but cfm will have to be determined later... Also being a manual tranny car, I'm leaning toward a mechanical secondary setup infavor against the vacuum secondary..... But for the choke, I'm not very fond of the manual choke, but given the condition of this car, I think something might can be worked out.... But anyway... Ignition, I'm thinking the Mopar Performance electronic kit with chrome ecu would be the better ticket, after all this want be a very big motor.... Though the coil I'm thinking the MSD Blaster 2 along with MSD Super Conductor wires will be a nice match... Spark plugs, any suggestions? Autolite maybe? I'm considering a timing gear setup rather than a chain, any opinions? Water pump will be a high volume all aluminum setup.... ARP bolts/studs will be used throughout the motor. Gaskets, maybe the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal kit.... Maybe Fel Pro, don't know yet, that's a little later down the road... Will have to get another oil pan, with matching pick up, but I do know that I want a 7 quart, with the 3/8" pick up tube, and a high volume oil pump... My question is, do I need to go with the bronze bushing? A hardened pump shaft will be a must. For the air cleaner, the K&N Xstream 14"x?" will all depend.... I will be running a fiberglass hood with a molded six pack style scoop for additional clearance and for looks  :naughty:. Clevite bearings for the mains, cam, and rod bearings. Should I go ahead and run a windage tray, I don't see where it would hurt, probably help.... The main caps will have studs, so that will have to be line honed.... Did I leave anything out? Any questions, comments, concerns? The car originaly is a small block car, there for I'm wanting to go with the conversion kit here: http://www.engine-swaps.com/ and get the whole kit that includes:
Exhuast gaskets
Extra Flanges
Adjustable Torque strap
Chrome Headers
Powder-coated brackets
Factory-style insulators
Grade 8 bolt package
Plus the instructions and whatever else I forgot to mention..... I think these headers have a 2.5" collector, therefor I am planning on running a Pypes Exhuast kit with X pipe in 2.5" pipes....
I'll end this at here, and await the comments, or what have ya.... :stirpot:

Offline Hot_Rodder

Re: 400..... Another build....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 - 08:03:34 AM »
I think I've found a set of 440 pistons that should work in this 400, if so, it's part # L2266F 60 @ this site: http://www.campbellenterprises.com/mopar_speed_pro_trw_forged_pistons.htm
They are .060 over pistons for a 440 which is supposed to be .040 over in a 400.... Well, close to it... The actual said bore of a 400 is supposed to be 4.342 and the 440 is 4.32 so..... Like I said, close enough. The only thing that I have to watch out for when running a 440 piston in a 400 is the compression height, as noted by Chryco, this is the lowest comp listed on that page, and is a flat top, I'm thinking maybe it's the one I'm looking for.... What you all think?

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008 - 12:24:06 PM »
Well, after speaking with Campbell Ent. I think I shall avoid them for a number of reasons, and I suggest if anyone has thought about going through them for stuff, it's up to you, but I'd try looking somewhere else too, esp since they don't seem to know a whole lot about Mopar.... The 440 pistons that I would need to install in a 400, is part # L2388F which is a Speed Pro piston, and apparently is no longer made.... So, if I continue on the route that I want to go, as far as reusing the factory steel crank, and stock style rods, then I'm gonna have to go with a custom set of pistons.... In this case, forged flat tops, and get a comp of an est 10:1.... I still got some other thigns to figure out though...
I am still going to use the 516 heads, getting them worked now, guy is doing them on spare time, and at the rate thigns are going on here in this area, automotive wise, he's gonna have some spare time.... I will also have some 1.81 valves put in for the exhaust, along with hardened seats.... The intake will get cleaned up some, but not much will be done with the intake side....
Camshaft is yet to be determined, but I'm leaning hard toward a hydraulic flat tappet design, with a rough idle. I will probably be running power brakes, and have no problem running a vacuum reservoir. I do plan on moving the battery to the trunk area, this way I will have a good place for the canister to go.
Intake, good question. I may end up using the Edelbrock TM6 that I already have, it's an aluminum single plane 4 bbl intake. I think I posted the info about here on this site, or dodgecharger.com.... Anyway, the rpm range is 3000-7500 a bit higher though than what I have in mind, lol. Is anyone here familiar with an intake called the Edelbrock Terantula? The guy who's working the heads says he's got one, I have a chance to get it, but I was hoping to find out more about it.
I still plan on running a ProForm carb, but it will be one of these:
http://www.jegs.com/p/Proform/764248/10002/-1/10271 one of the top 4 on the page, mechanical series, but the cfm rating I've yet to determine, I'm thinking of either a 750 or the 850.... I think the 750 would be the better route though...
This motor will be backed by a manual tranny, A-833, and the rear axle due to the jump from a 3.55 to a 3.91, and nothing apparently inbetween, I suppose it will be a 3.91 gear.
As for Igntion, M.P. conversion with Chrome box...
Fuel Carter muscle car mech f.p.

Any ideas, questions, comments, concerns? :dunno:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008 - 02:58:26 AM »
I talked to my Machinist today , he built a 400 for his son using the Speed Pro piston , it came up .017 below deck in the 400 block , using my ported heads & a Lunati VooDoo 60303 cam made over 22 MPG while zero miles on the engine , this thing will also haze the tires at will & it is in a 66 Satellite , not very aerodynamic !!
 Eddy RPM would be a good choice for the intake , 750 Proform will work 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008 - 03:10:52 PM »
Nice. :2thumbs: Wonder what a build like that in the Duster with a 4 speed would do....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008 - 04:14:20 AM »
it woulkd work well

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2008 - 03:35:24 PM »
Got somewhat of a comparison here, and would like some feedback....
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11701
http://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/60303LK/10002/-1/756547%7C10707
:popcorn:

Also, I think this would be a safe bet for a carb:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&category=33550&sspagename=STORE%3APROMOBOX%3ANEWLIST&viewitem=&item=120274877887

I know it's E-bay, but it's new, and cheaper than Jegs.... I try to avoid Summit Racing now b/c of the GA sales tax there is now... :walkaway:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008 - 05:17:20 PM by Hot_Rodder »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008 - 12:59:20 AM »
the cam has the right # , the carb looks good , no link on the Hughes site

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008 - 04:22:03 PM »
Try this link and see if it works or not:
http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=11701&eTypeID=14
If it doesn't, then it's part # HEH3237BL

The cam is a bit bigger..... And probably a whoel different sound, which i'd like to get something choppy anyway, and I'm not sure what the exh profile on the Lunati 60303 is like, though this one from hughes even states that it's got a noticable type idle..... Shoot, and as I quote them from there site: "Idles so you know its in there" sounds nice to me, lol. Either way, this motor should make this car run, and I'm figuring it should come in around 3k on a scale... Plus the 4 speed...  :burnout:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008 - 03:03:25 AM »
Buy the same cam from Engle & you will get better service & warranty if needed

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008 - 04:43:16 AM »
Buy the same cam from Engle & you will get better service & warranty if needed

I e-mailed them to see what they've got that's comparable. :thumbsup:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008 - 10:14:21 AM »
they used to0 grind all of Hughes cams

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008 - 01:50:00 PM »
Yeah, I think I had heard that once before, but had forgotten it since... They e-mailed me there '07 "flier" as they call it.... I might as well just call up Chris over there and see what he's got to say.... I was looking at one of the Chrysler 904 tappet grind cams, and then in small bold letters, it said for racing only.... Joy...

The K6?HYD seems to be about the way that I'm probably gonna go though.... On the other hand, the KV-3HYD and the KV-4HYD also have potential.... Only problem is, the KV series are the "race only" cams, lol.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008 - 01:59:44 PM by Hot_Rodder »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008 - 03:29:53 AM »
Talk to Chris , he will get you what you need / want

Offline Hot_Rodder

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008 - 12:02:03 AM »
Chryco,
Though I've yet to be able to get a chance to get ahold of the phone here and call up Chris, the cam is yet undecided... It will be a hyd flat tappet though. But on the other hand, here's what I got in mind....
Since the previously mentioned piston is apparently no longer available, I will probably be going through 440 Source for a custom Ross piston, it should be a forged flat top, and will probably need valve reliefs, esp with a cam in the, say the est .550 - .600 lift range, and 230* - 240* duration side of things.... Esp with the ported/milled 516 heads.... The head gasket I've yet to determine, I know the Cometics are nice, but I'm not sure if anyone around here has the equipment to get that fine of a finish for them to seal properly, but I do want a fairly thick gasket to help aid in the machine work from the deck and the heads, help make a difference in lost metal, and also being thicker than factory, seal better.... The intake will be the Edy Perf RPM with a Proform street series mech secondary 750 cfm carb, Mopar Performance ignition kit with Chrome box, factory steel crank, factory style rods, new pushrods, Mopar Performance black aluminum valve covers, Milodon oil pan 7 qt with factory diameter pick up tube, high volume oil pump, hardened oil pump shaft (bronze bushing?), brass freeze plugs, tube headers, ect ect ect..... Once again, tranny will be manual. I have a question about rocker arms, in this case, roller rockers.... I know I've asked about them before, and you like the Crane Adjustable rockers for Mopars, but I saw these, and since this motor will be on the street, but more of a weekend only type thing, I figured I'd throw these in and see what I'd see....  http://www.hughesengines.com/partDetail.asp?partID=13125&eTypeID=14