Author Topic: quarter removal question  (Read 983 times)

Offline 73dce

quarter removal question
« on: June 07, 2008 - 09:00:54 PM »
I'm in the process of removing my passenger side quarter(73 Challenger).  There is a piece that is attached to the quarter where the rear window is.  Its also attached to the door jamb and the roof brace.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a way to drill out the spot welds to the quarter because they are at such an awkward angle.  Just seeing how other people did it.  I thought maybe I should take that piece off with the quarter and just weld it to the new one.  Any help appreciated.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: quarter removal question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008 - 09:05:03 PM »
As long as you are replacing the quarter as a whole thing then you can cut the crap out of the old quarter to see where you have to get at if it is in the way visually.  You can remove section by section of the old one, does not matter how it comes off, you are not using it again, just as long as the new one goes on in one piece. :2thumbs: hope this helps.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 73dce

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008 - 09:57:49 PM »
I've already cut the whole front off of the quarter, but these spot welds are in the inside where the quarter wraps around.  I guess if there's no easy way, I could drill thru that piece weld it back shut and then just glue the panels together on the new quarter.  I decided to glue it where it meets the sail panel, couple of weird spots to try to get a welder.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008 - 10:08:31 PM »
What exactly are you planning on using to glue the sail panel buddy..............

And you mention you have already cut the whole fron tof the quarter, do you mean the new quarter.............

Offline 73dce

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008 - 10:40:23 PM »
Ok, its not the sail panel, its the rear deck filler panel, my fault.  The quarter attaches to that in the trunk area.  Thats the part I'm going to glue. 

I cut the face of the old quarter so I could see inside as you stated in your first reply.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008 - 12:53:39 AM »
Oh, ok. I know where you mean now, the only thing i can suggest is being careful when glueing panels on areas that are joined in a non factory seam as they could tend to flex over a short period of time wich will in turn crack the paint and cause headaches down the line. :2thumbs: