Dragstrip tech updated, Need help with 60' times

Author Topic: Dragstrip tech updated, Need help with 60' times  (Read 8851 times)

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Dragstrip tech updated, Need help with 60' times
« on: June 09, 2008 - 07:08:15 PM »
What do I need to do?

I've never been and plan on going on the 20th of June.

It is Street night at New England Dragway.

Tom :dunno:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008 - 05:48:12 PM by 72challorange »
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Passing Tech at the Dragstrip?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:14:12 PM »
Lots of things vs et and speed. But- tie your battery down, zero water leaks= recovery system working, seat belts, helmet, Neutral start switch,

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:16:01 PM »
Go to NHRA's website and get a copy of the current rule book that is a great start. Before we can give you accurate advice (By the way last year I was a certified NHRA Tech) we need to know more about your car. Specifically how fast you think it will run. I can tell you right off the bat that your windshield needs to be free of cracks, if the battery has been relocated to the trunk you need a master kill switch mounted on the back of the car, if you run faster than 14 flat you need a helmet. No open toed shoes and pants only. You also need a catch can on your coolant overflow and double throttle return springs. If you have slicks or even drag radials you'll need a driveshaft loop. This should get you started. and yes the neutral safety switch MUST work.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:23:52 PM »
IDK how fast?

Maybe for the first time out some mid to low 13's,  I am hoping for 12's but don't know if I can get any traction as I have some problems if i sqeeze the throttle more than 3/4's from a stop.

I have 2 small chips in the windshield but no cracks?  I do have one of those repair kits to do though.

Basically i wanted to drive it up there and do a few runs.

I have Seatbelts originals, catch can, Pants, no leaks, no loop but no slicks either.  NSS works. Battery is tied down too.

How about the center caps on these rims?  Do they have to come out? I need to get the book to read.  I only got about a week and a half to prepare.

Tom
Tom

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:29:36 PM »
If they are bolt on center caps (like most mopars) then they are fine. I would fix those chips prior just to be on the safe side. Definately get a helmet if you think you are going to be in the 13's. You will be sent home if you don't and end up running even a 13.999. Other than that off the top of my head you should be good. The rules don't start really getting involved until you get in the 11's.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:32:43 PM »
I'll fix the chips and pick up a helmet.  I have aftermarket rims so I guess I'll figure out how to pull the centers out, I don't think they are bolted in.  If I read it right they needed to be bolted in?

Thanks guys!

My speedo will be off though. :poopoke: :smilielol:

Tom :bigsmile:
Tom

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008 - 08:28:25 PM »
Depends on where ya go. I've only been to two different tracks, orlando spinworld...ahem speedworld, and vegas motor speedway.

Vegas - I have about 60 time slips from, figure 4 runs a trip. i went a few times to the 'open street wars'. Once i had to pop my hood, they asked i added a hose clamp to my coolant recovery. Rest of the times i never popped the hood. I ran slicks there and the battery in the trunk. NHRA requires a driveshaft loop when running (i believe 13s) on slicks. Which i have. With the battery in the trunk you need to have an external 'kill switch' which i have. Tried to follow the rules best i could, they are set for your safety anyway...Edit: Oh and vegas only asked that the windows were up and the belt was fastened (lapbelt) before passing.

Orlando - Never popped the hood there. First time out i was on street tires, second time on slicks. First pass on slicks the tree-man said 'if you run a 13, you'll need a helmet'...Which i had one (but couldnt 'jinx' the 13 since i hadn't ran one yet at the time).

Just my experiences

Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008 - 08:34:37 PM »
Thanks Goody!

I'm nervous that it won't pass.  I just don't know the in's and outs is all.  So I should toss a hose clamp on my recovery line?  I got one on the tank side but not the rad side.

I'm trying to find some local guys who have "tech'd" in at NED.

Hint Torredcuda.LOL

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008 - 07:06:44 AM »
I have not run in the last 3 years Tom but back in the day LOL...
They were pretty cool about the small stuff on your first trip unless you run a big number then they hit you with the safty stuff.

Good luck I think you will run a 12.60  :burnout:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008 - 07:18:28 AM »
I think you'll have big traction issues if you are running those wheels/tires you got. 13.80 first time out.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008 - 06:02:33 PM »
I think you'll have big traction issues if you are running those wheels/tires you got. 13.80 first time out.

yeah traction wil be limited.  I figured i'd walk it out a bit no?

I messed around with one of those g-tech things a while back and got close to that # on the side of the road not flooring it for at least 100-150 ft.  Said 104mph at the end.  I didn't spin the tires at all.  We'll see, i should be able to get a few runs in if we get there early enough.

If I do 13's I'll be happy cause i know it will beat my buddies 93 vette pig. :smilielol:

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2008 - 08:55:39 PM »
I want to see a 12.20 run! :2thumbs:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008 - 12:22:37 AM »
Stock car?  If you don't have a cage the stock seat belts will do. You have to have a catch can for your radiator overflow, even if it is just a beer can wire-tied to the engine compartment. Long pants. Battery clamp holding battery.  Nothing leaking.  If you have a helmet, depending on your speed, make sure it has a DOTor Snell approved sticker inside it and it is less than 3 years old.   You don't need a helmet if you think you will run slow.

If you drive it on the street, everything else should pass.   

Have Fun! I Drag raced for 10 years
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

nivvy

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008 - 03:49:56 AM »
What do I need to do?

I've never been and plan on going on the 20th of June.

It is Street night at New England Dragway.

Tom :dunno:

tech inspections is a joke.... the one i got no to long ago the guy seen i had a cutoff switch didnt even look in the trunk said he couldnt see my driveshaft loop and yes i have on on there... run high tens and still no cage.........xv belts nd hould have harness at 10.99 and quicker... had a dot helmet not a snell one.... however for your safty reasons get a diveshaft loop..... i have he fancy on that bolts to yor  tranny crossmember but you can gt them for lik 25 bucks...

just get gone what you find that may be issue and dont worry about it....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 - 03:51:51 AM by StRoKer »

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008 - 12:39:28 PM »
Have you asked anyone at MassMopar yet?  I'm sure there are a few people there that have been through NED.  There's a guy I met in watertown with a Demon there that may have raced up there recently, has a 340 R-3 block stroked to 454ci, orange, car from texas.  Don't know his code name there but you might be able to find it at that site since he said he's a member there and the car is set up for racing.  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger