Author Topic: Steering & Suspension Setup - Opinions Needed  (Read 808 times)

Offline Camshaft

Steering & Suspension Setup - Opinions Needed
« on: June 09, 2008 - 10:09:32 PM »

Hey Guys... it time to do my suspension and brakes in my '74 Challenger R/T.  It's looong over due.  I've been doing some research and reading through as many posts here as I can, but I'm getting confused and distracted! :pullinghair: So I'd like your opinion please. 

Starting with my goals... I want a road worthy car that's fun to drive.  I don't plan to race it... but I do drive it hard on the street and I may look at autocross down the road (firm is good... rock hard is not).  Most importantly (to me)... I'm building a driver not a show car. 

As far as cash goes... I'm not rich, but I will spend the money to get what I need... within reason.  I've looked at the XV level 1 stuff, but it seems like a pile of cash for some shocks and sway bars (although very well engineered... I wish I had the money to go all the way XV, but I don't). 

I've been taking a hard look at the Firm Feel website for quite a while, so I decided to call them today (nice guys).  I'm thinking of using them for the entire set up:

FFB3 power steering box (stage 3)
1 1/4" front sway bar
Tubular uppers w/ball joints and bump stops
Reinforced lower control arms
1.06" Torsion bars
Tie rod kit
The "Street Handling/Race" leaf springs
Leaf spring hangers (lower 1.5")
Koni adjustable shocks

I am also shopping hard for a brake system and wheels and tires to complete the package. 

What do you think?  Am I missing anything?  I like the thought of getting everything from one supplier... just call and order it up.  I want to get this rolling ASAP.

Oh ya.. I'm still running a small block.

Thanks,

Cam

'74 Challenger R/T
'03 Ram 1500 QC Hemi
'06 Honda VFR 800
'06 Infiniti G35 coupe(wifes)

Offline MrMopar440

Re: Steering & Suspension Setup - Opinions Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008 - 02:53:19 AM »
Maybe it is just me, but that torsion bar sounds WAY STIFF for a small block. I am running the .960" bars in my 73 Barracuda with a 440. It is a little soft for my taste, but I have a lot more weight in the front than you do.  Plus I don't have a sway bar front or rear - yet. :2cents:

Offline Camshaft

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008 - 06:55:20 AM »
Thanks... that was a concern of mine.  I was thinking that since I wanted a lower stance that a firmer torsion bar would be needed.

'74 Challenger R/T
'03 Ram 1500 QC Hemi
'06 Honda VFR 800
'06 Infiniti G35 coupe(wifes)

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008 - 07:32:44 AM »
Overall sounds like a decent combination. The only thing I would be concerned about is whether those leaf springs are high enough in rate to match the front combo. A 1.25 sway bar is huge and combined with 1.06 torsion bars puts a lot of wheel rate in the front. However, that is the nice thing about sourcing all the parts in one place and by buying from Firm Feel. They are pretty knowledgable about their stuff and if you put together a combo that is too far out in left field, they would tell you. But I'd ask them just to be sure.

As far is firm vs soft  vs rough; Something I've noticed over the years is that definition is very subjective based on what other cars you've driven. Together you combo sounds fine to me, but I tend to prefer stiffer suspensions than many. IMO, .96 for small blocks and 1.0 for big blocks should be the starting point and then go up from there for more performance oriented driving. However, I've seen people complain that the stock .92 in a big block car were too stiff, so it is all perspective.