Anyone want to reassemble my Cuda?

Author Topic: Anyone want to reassemble my Cuda?  (Read 4182 times)

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Anyone want to reassemble my Cuda?
« on: June 11, 2008 - 12:01:39 AM »
The Cuda came back from the paint shop back in February. At first, I didnt work on it because there is no heat in my garage. But now that the weather is nice, I just cant seem to get motivated. The cars is all apart. I didnt disassemble it, so I have no idea where a lot of the stuff goes. I mean I just have piles of stuff. I'm missing most of the nuts, bolts, and other fasteners. Every time I go up to work on it, I just get so overwhelmed, that I just fiddle around with it for a while, then just say the heck with it, and leave. I think the problem is that in the past, I've always bought driver type vehicles that are complete and running, and worked on them/replaced things, etc.

A lot of thoughts have crossed my mind. I've though about hiring someone to put it together. I've also thought about just selling it, and buying a driver that I can work on little by little. I've also thought about throwing it back in the corner and forgetting about it for a year or two.

Just trying to vent.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Re: Anyone want to reassemble my Cuda?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008 - 12:52:14 AM »
Jeryst, I know how you feel.  I've owned my car for fifteen years and for many of those years, it just sat and waited for me in some state of disassembly.  Every now and again, I'd get a wild hair up my arse and go out and work on it like a house afire, but then the enormity of the job would overwhelm me again and I wouldn't touch it for months.  I'd find something else I wanted to do, like 40 weeks of NASCAR or surf the Web or yardwork.  Or I'd make excuses, like how much stuff I had to move to get to the car or it's too cold (in San Diego, fer chrissakes) or too hot or I didn't want to disturb my wife or listen to her complain.  There have been many times when I thought about selling it and buying a nice running A-body or Mustang or whatever to have fun and drive - most recently, today, looking at Rare_T/A's new car.

However, the wonderful help and support of the people on this site have made all the difference.  Despite a lack of support from my wife (and we won't go any further into that story), I'm feeling like I'm making progress on it.  If I don't work on something every week and post some photos and mention a little something about the trials and travails of the weekend's work, I feel like I've failed the other members who are watching and offering advice and encouragement. 

The secret, which I'm sure others will second, is to look at it as a series of small projects and small triumphs.  Pick up some little thing, be it a piece of trim that needs a little polishing or a interior trim piece that needs to be cleaned and for one day or one weekend, work only on that until it's where you need it to be.  If you don't know what it goes to, post a picture and ask.  If the "What the heck is it?" thread can now be up to 326 pages  :crazy:  somebody here will identify what the part is, where it goes and if it's original to your car.  Then, you can start to sort your boxes of stuff into more recognizable groups and start to reassmble the car.

In the end, two years will pass either way.  You can sell it and get another driver and I'm sure you'll be happy, but there will always be that voice inside that says "I wish I could have driven that 'Cuda."  Or you can let it sit and remain frustrated.  Or you can get started and we'll ALL help you finish it.  We may not be in the garage with you, but we'll be with you every step of the way.  :working: :2thumbs:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008 - 02:44:51 AM »
This site could easily put it back together.Wish you were closer.Start a resto. thread.It could be fun!!  Probably lots of members around there.These cars are very simple.Once you get going you'll gain speed and inspiration.The closer you get the faster you go. One thing at a time.Let's see some pics. We are here for you man! :ylsuper: I'd do anything to help!   Robert.
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 - 07:13:05 AM »
I agree it is a big task  :faint:
My challenger was partially disassembled when I bought it and like a bone head I took it down the rest of the way complete redo and not tagged or bagged just boxes of parts.
That was 10 long years ago and 2 cross-country moves with the car in tow.
In the last 6 to 10 months, I have found new energy a lot of it from the people on c-c.com
Too many to list but they know how much I appreciate there assistance and harassment   :poopoke: about what is next and such. It is rewording to show my progress and read their comments.  :thumbsup:
At times, I feel like moparal no car guys or gals in my area and I wish I had help in the garage… :walkaway:

I do through my restoration thread.

Set a series of small goals and post those up we will hold you accountable. Is your motor ready to install yet?   :working: That is a great place to start. Breaks, hoses,fuel line ect.  how far is your car-disassembled post up some pictures let us see it.  :picture:

I posted up a link for you about Mr. G’s fasteners for all your bolt they are labeled and bagged for where every bolt goes they have a screw set also it’s a great score.

So let’s start on something simple, TODAY, lets go out and put the tail lights in & maybe the side marker lights …  :2thumbs:

And remember  :useless:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline rallyechall

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008 - 08:06:11 AM »
The success of a project of this magnitude starts with a solid project plan. You need to sit down and create a project list for the complete job, and a realistic time line you wish to have it completed. Put it down on paper and stick to it. Choose a day to work on one or two small items. Start with the tail lights. Make sure you have the fasteners ahead of time, and purchase what you don't have. On that day, install the tail lights, and complete the goal. As you start completing more and more little goals, you will finish one, and start working on another ahead of time which will allow you more time to accomplish it under its originally scheduled time. The success of the small goals will build up and make it easier to keep moving on it. It will build confidence, and knowledge. You can always ping the board here ahead of time to prepare for the next goal you wish to accomplish to arm yourself with the proper knowledge, parts, and tools to make the job easier. Don't look to get it done in a month unless you have the time to waste. Make sure it does not consume your life. You can become disappointed really fast when it does. Make sure you prepare for every task you wish to accomplish. Try to follow the steps below to make it less of a burden. Make sure you only work long enough each night so you are still able to spend time with your family. If you can balance both without problems, they may even want to join you in working on the car. Good Luck

Prepare - Create task list as well as time frames for project.
Compile - Part numbers, part names, documentation to perform task
Obtain - Parts, Tools and knowledge
Execute - Tasks starting with small single tasks. When you complete one, move to the next.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 - 09:20:57 AM »
Hey Jer  :iagree: with everything that had been posted. :wave:

I can remember when you posted pictures of the fresh paint and when it was being done and how excited you were when the body man was doing the paint & panel work. :drool:

I also remember how you were looking for an enclosed trailer or truck to transport the car home with fresh paint on it, for no other reason than you really were excited and was passionate about starting. :woo:

I agree, start at the tail light section and side markers, do you have to Black out any sections on the back, take your time, then we can move along from their, we are here to help your dream come true, please do not give up, we all want to see it finished :clapping:   :woohoo: :bananasmi
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008 - 09:27:57 AM »
Give C.P. a call and ask him if he wants a job in the states for a week. Neil would have just about everything done by then or close to it. I could do some of it with you on one of my 2 week breaks. Choose an area, find the parts for that area, clean them and assemble. Get a cd or manual on assembly. Trust me, you will be sad when it is gone if you sell it.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008 - 10:41:24 AM »
Where are you located?  I'd love to help ya.

Me personally, I think getting the car back from paint - which is usually the last step in the restoration - would be the biggest kick in the butt I could receive.  Just think about it - you have all the pieces, it's ready to go!  Put 'er back together and CRUISE!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline Red R/T

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008 - 10:56:26 AM »
I agree with all said.  If nothing else break it down like this.  If you mow the grass each week it probably takes an hour or so.  Do the same with your car.  Look at it as a "I have to spend an hour or so each week doing something to the car."  If you can afford it, sub out some of the heavier tasks like trim work, interior, or motor install.  There are plenty of shops and such that will take on little projects like that to make a quick buck.  I get overwhelmed everytime I go out into the garrage and look at what needs to be done.  That's why I get on here after I decide what's next and ask for help on how to do it.  My most recent project was a header gasket (%)@&#^#%@(@), sorry, had to vent myself, but the folks here helped me get through it without tearing more up.  The point I think everybody is trying to make here is we all get frustrated and want to throw in the towel so don't feel like the lone ranger.  Hang in there and eventually it will get done. 
1970 Challenger U code R/T SE

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008 - 09:41:41 PM »
How prepared are you , what kind of budget do you have ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008 - 01:35:01 AM »
First of all, thanks to all of you for the encouraging words.

How prepared are you , what kind of budget do you have ?

I have some money put back for it. It is an original 45k mile car, so I am assuming that most things are still functional. I know this may sound kind of stupid, but I'd like to just clean up/repaint all of the parts, put it back together as is, and have a whole car to work on. I'm perfectly okay with replacing/fixing things if I remove them. Its just my lack of knowledge with assembling the whole car, (especially when I did not disassemble it) that is making me crazy. As I look through the piles of parts, I know what a lot of the stuff is, but I don't know what a lot of the stuff is either, and I dont know what I am missing.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008 - 11:08:29 AM »
Great advice by everyone!   :2thumbs:

One thing I'll add is keep the quote "There is no such thing as quality time, there's only time" in mind.  I used to use the excuse "well if I can't spend 3 or 4 hours straight on the car why bother even going out in the garage".  Now I keep that quote in mind and realize that any hour you can spend on the car will add up.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline vryfast

• WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008 - 10:22:58 PM »
Jeryst    I'm in the exact same postion as you. except I did disassemble my car over 4 years ago . After spending the last 4 years in the body shop my 70 cuda returned home in april of this year. So now I'm trying to put it back together and find that I don't have the talent or knowledg to do it. Every thing I try to do on the car leads to a road block. I started doing the interior but I can't figure how to get the headliner tight so I cant finish that. I rewired the dash with a new harness followed all the wireing diagrams but am afraid to install it in case I didn't do it right. I rebuilt the K frame and entire front suspension and now i see I put the calipers on the wrong way (back instead of front of rotor). So I one point i deceided like you to find some one to do it for me. Money is not much of a issue for me but when I started looking for some one to do the job they all have 2 to 3 years waiting list or a bad reputation. so now I'm back to doing it myself slowly. After reading your thread I got the idea that we should do a co-authored restoration thread on here where we can help each other and all the guys here can help us both. I think that would be just the motavation I need to get this done. Whats every one think of my idea and who is willing to help us 2 frustrated mopar guys.

Offline vryfast

• WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008 - 10:26:36 PM »
 :useless:

Offline vryfast

• WORK IN PROGRESS
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008 - 10:35:18 PM »
 :working: