Author Topic: Hood extension for 71 Challenger  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Challenger_7

Hood extension for 71 Challenger
« on: June 11, 2008 - 07:54:00 AM »
I am not sure if this is what it is called, see picture, and I am very much interested in fitting one to my convertible.
Having given up on finding one, my body shop guy assures me he can make me one from photos.
Any of you (willing to help) who may own a car with one, can oblige me with some photos? I will be very grateful :worshippy
If you can, then a photo from the inside to show how it is supposed to fit to the body, or even a copy of the fitting instructions or factory diagram, will be just great.
From the picture I am posting, I see there is a wide rubber between the extension and the body and also I see a white metal even before that, right onto the body. How is this all installed?
Please help me on this.
Thanks.
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Hood extension for 71 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008 - 09:30:00 AM »
Hello Farouk,

What you are after is called wide hood chrome and was available on the 71 Challengers only as an option.  Very rare but they do show up on  :ebay: from time to time.  The Black rubber you are reffering to is actually just a reccess in the trim pieces and have a Black stripe painted in the reccess.  The wide chrome mounts directly to the outside of each panel it is on, your panel beater would have a hard time in making these exactly the same as originals, this is the kind of work i do and i tell you that it would be time consuming to make and fit perfectly the same as original pieces.

The original pieces are made of potmetal or diecast and are a chunky pieces of cast Alloy.  The screws to hold the pieces on are in the reccessed Black section from memory. 

You may find another member here may have some bits or a full set they would sell you. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008 - 10:55:27 AM »
 :iagree:

This would be a difficult part to make by hand. The mounting is a little difficult too, as the piece has pins cast into it across the back (near the black stripe) that fit into holes in the hood. If you look at your hood now you'll see round recesses across the front top where these fit. The front has sheet metal screws across the front where the regular trim is mounted ( or at least mine did, perhaps the studs were long gone?). The side pieces just use sheet metal screws into the fenders.

As for getting a set, you'll have to keep your eyes open. They do show up on Ebay, thats where I got mine, but are usually very expensive (over $1k). I lucked out and got mine for less than that, but my set isn't perfect (would need a re-chrome for a finished car). It seems like the fender pieces come up more often for some reason too, and sell for less than they would as part of a complete set, but I haven't seen a hood piece for sale by itself yet, so that may not be a good option.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008 - 11:44:43 AM »
P.G.Classic on E-Bay now has the wide fender chrome in re-pops. I guess they haven't come out with the wide hood trim yet.  :dunno:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008 - 03:02:37 PM »
Thank you all for the explanations and clarification. I think I now have a fair idea on the structure, at least from the top.
Ken, you are right, it is a tough job and time consuming, but the body shop chap who is wanting to face the challenge is a highly experienced chap, semi retired and has lots of time on his hands. So I will let him have a go.
72blunblu would you oblige me by a couple of photos say from the inner side and from under the bonnet to see how they end there. Also, if you can, open the bonnet and take a shot from the side to see exactly how they ride onto the bonnet. That will really be great. Once I see those shots and show them to my chap, he can then decide to go for it still, or not :dunno:
MEK I checked p. g. classic but found nothing, neither in their store nor their ebay one. If I do find the fender ones, which are the hard ones to make, I could buy them and use them as a guide for the other one. Anyway, I will keep looking
Cheers, Farouk
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008 - 04:41:05 PM »
Farouk,

I'm sorry about my mistake.  :banghead: Someone here made a post recently about the wide fender trim being available, I thought by P.G. Classic, but it must be someone else. I'll get back to this thread if I find what I'm looking for.   :chatting:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008 - 07:53:16 AM »
You are the man !!! Thanks a bunch. Already bought it on ebay. With those on hand, the rest should be easy for my chap.
I really appreciate it buddy :worshippy
By the way, the color combination of your car is amazing :ylsuper:

Cheers
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008 - 02:04:51 PM »
Hadn't seen those before!

Well if they're remaking the fender trim you might ask them if they have plans for the hood piece, I'd be willing to bet they're working on it.

BTW, you might want alphabuck or scatterbrain to take pictures of the hood trim for you. I'd be happy to, but keep in mind the fit on mine might not be factory as I mounted it myself to a '72.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008 - 05:51:25 AM »
Thanks 72blunblu, I have addressed them with the question and await their response.
OK, I will ask the 2 gentlemen you suggested about photos and if no dice, will get back to you.
Thanks for the help.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008 - 11:29:58 AM »
My car came with the wide hood chrome from the factory and you'll also need six special clips that the fender chrome attach to. I only have 5 of the 6 clips but ill try and get you guys some pictures of the clips and the chrome.

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2008 - 02:29:37 PM »
here are some pics

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2008 - 02:31:09 PM »
 :2thumbs:

Offline 71ChallengerSE

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008 - 02:32:33 PM »
 :)