Author Topic: Steering Column rebuild  (Read 11655 times)

Offline MrMopar440

Steering Column rebuild
« on: June 12, 2008 - 03:59:46 AM »
I did a search, and kept coming up to "read CORY's page". Tried, but apparently the domain is expired.  :banghead: Did anyone happen to save the photos and descriptions before it went down? Like CORY? I've gotten mine torn apart now, and would really like to only do it once.

I do have a couple of questions about the various columns though. I have two at the moment. One is a manual and the other is power. I converted to manual with a home-made column so I don't have the connector to the box (neither does the column I have. The power does have the connector (but of course it is for the power box). So, do I go with the Flaming River on the manual column I have or the adapter on the power column?   :dunno: Opinions welcome.

Second question: The manual column does not have the key light described in my FSM - there is a blanking plate screwed to that spot. The power column does have the light. I am assuming they are then from different years, so are there any other differences I should know about?  :clueless:

Last question is about the ignition lock (where the key goes). Is the chrome surround supposed to be tight on the plastic? Or spin like mine does? It seemed to work OK while I was disassembling everything, but if it is bad, I would rather replace it now (maybe use the one from the other column).

Thanks.  :cheers:

***UPDATE***

I did some numbers checking last night. It looks like the manual column is from a 70 (all the parts have a 70 stamped or cast in them). The power column looks to be a 74 (from the same types of markings). And the wheel I picked up is a 73 - amazing. I actually have a part that matches my model year!

But, the same questions above still stand if anyone can help. And I attached a pic of the lock I was talking about. Is the silver part supposed to spin?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2008 - 04:23:50 AM by MrMopar440 »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Steering Column rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008 - 03:41:51 AM »
the chrome trim on the lock is held by a small die cast tab , the tab is broken so the lock should be replaced
the ign lock light can be transferred into either column & the blocking plate removed , not sire what you want to accomplish with the couplers & steering boxes though

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008 - 10:27:03 AM »
Thanks Chryco - One thing down - I need a new lock for the manual column.
As far as the other piece - I am missing the coupler for the manual column. I can get the Flaming River piece to make the attachment. Or I can use the power column (that has the coupler) and get the MOPAR adapter to make the attachment. Not much difference in price, but how about the looks? Does anyone have a picture of either installed. Is one way any better than the other from those who have done it?

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008 - 10:21:05 AM »
A little bump for some pictures that anyone might have of column restoration - I can't seem to find any left here. And a quick question about the lower part - Is it just an empty hole? The one I am working on is a 1970 model and didn't have anything except a plastic cap on it.  :dunno:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008 - 11:29:27 AM »
the only difference between the power & manula coupler is the spline , other than they look the same , the coupler from the power strg may fit some amnual boxes as well
the light can be tranferred to the other column , not sure which hole you are reffering to
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 - 11:31:22 AM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline shatar4

• 71 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 - 02:38:06 PM »
Here's a article Mopar Muscle did when they rebuilt a column. Hope it helps.

http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/155_0308_mopar_steering_column_rebuild/index.html
1971 Triple black 340 Challenger

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008 - 03:14:05 PM »
I thought CODY did a thread on rebuilding a steering column? Maybe that is what you are after?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008 - 05:21:26 PM »
I thought CODY did a thread on rebuilding a steering column? Maybe that is what you are after?

He did.   :grinyes:

I don't get much when I click on the link though.   :screwy:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=21612.0

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008 - 05:35:43 PM »
He did.   :grinyes:

I don't get much when I click on the link though.   :screwy:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=21612.0

Yeah, I was going to post the addy to the thread itself but it seems to be lost. I wonder if CODY still has it saved? It was a very comprehensive how to.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008 - 01:51:41 AM »
Thanks for all the help. That thread from CODY is what I have been looking for. I seem to remember browsing through it once, but now it is gone. I was hopeing that someone might have saved it........

CP - I'm not too worried about the light. I think I'll just keep the blanking plate.

Since I don't have the coupler I need, guess I will get the Flaming River piece. Anyone care to chime in with a reccomendation on who has the best price? Thanks

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008 - 01:00:55 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I wanted to say someone saved Cody's column rebuild page here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lhga5d

Warning for dialup users - it's a 10 MB pdf
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 - 01:57:47 PM by shawge »
- Jerry

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2008 - 01:00:09 PM »
I know this is an old topic but I wanted to say someone saved Cody's column rebuild page here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/lhga5d

Warning for dialup users - it's a 10 MB pdf

You sir are THE MAN!!!!!!! :ylsuper: :ylsuper:

This will make my winter project so much easier.  The FSM helps, but this is so much better!!!
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2008 - 01:12:29 PM »
 :2thumbs:  I've been looking for this too ever since Cody's site went MIA.  Glad I could help out.
- Jerry

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2008 - 05:51:13 PM »
I really appreciate the link to the document.  I was looking through it and on page 107 there is a reference to the dust shield (gray foam) and on page 163, the reference to the new rubber o-ring.  Any idea where these can be obtained?  I didn't see them available from year one.

Also, there are a number of replacement parts that can be had, I was wondering if we could come up with an engineering drawing so I/we could come up with an exhaustive list of factory part numbers.  I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are still available and possibly at a reduced price from the factory.  Hmm, maybe they'd only be available through this month...

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008 - 06:11:47 PM »
Several pages of info on 1970 steering columns at this link;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/ServiceHighlights/1970PassengerCarHighlights11.shtml