Author Topic: Steering Column rebuild  (Read 11659 times)

Offline peterro

• 70 Challenger in progress...
    • The Pistonhead
Re: Steering Column rebuild
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2008 - 04:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the documents.

Any word on the dust shield on page 107 (gray foam) and on page 163, the reference to the new rubber o-ring?  Also where can I find a steering wheel puller that is small enough to fit into the can?  The local auto parts stores and harbor freight don't seem to have anything quite that small.

Offline duodec

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2008 - 12:27:25 AM »
Also where can I find a steering wheel puller that is small enough to fit into the can?  The local auto parts stores and harbor freight don't seem to have anything quite that small.

You don't need one like that.  As long as the center bolt that comes with the tool is long enough to allow you to place the tool just outside the can with the center bolt tip touching the steering shaft and still having 1/2" or so of threads showing outside, it will work.  You might need to go to a hardware store to get a pair of longer side bolts, but those are going to be a standard size and thread.  You do NOT pry up against the can's top flange so the puller body doesn't need to be inside it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008 - 12:43:33 AM »
you may hAVE TO MAKE YOUR OWN LONGER CENTER BOLT OUT OF TREADED ROD & buy longer bolts to go with

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008 - 12:25:22 AM »
So I went to the local hardware store for longer side bolts and thread rod.  It seems that the center bolt for the puller is some odd thread that isn't standard.  Back to the drawing board.  I think I'll try harbor freight again and then go to the parts store and try their smallest (though it doesn't look small enough) wheel puller and see how it goes.

Not sure where to go from there.

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008 - 11:11:56 PM »
Got a puller from the local parts house (Knechts) and though it didn't look like it would fit, it did.  Now in the process of dismantling the column.  Woo Hoo.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008 - 11:38:28 PM »
Next time use a deep socket on the end of the puller center stud to extend it.  Sorry I missed this one.

Tom

Take lots of pics for us too!
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008 - 12:13:07 AM »
With the puller I had, the problem was the center portion (Y-shaped thingy) was too big to fit into the crush can.  The center stud wouldn't reach deep enough into the can with the Y-shaped thing on the outside.  Now I have the right puller.

Yes, I'm taking lots of pictures.  I'm intending on posting the process when done or maybe the tear-down first and then the rebuild when it's all painted and ready.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008 - 01:20:50 AM »
Yeah the Y would stay out and a deep 3/4" socket would effectively make the puller center stud "longer"  Eitherway glad you got it worked out.

Tom
Tom

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009 - 01:07:06 AM »
Got most of the column apart and found a key learning after the fact.  (I will have pictures/process posted later) I was taking out the lock mechanism which should just slide out after poking the release hole.  It didn't, there was a pin that was out and hanging things up.  With a bit of poor judgment, I gave it some gentle persuasion and the pin broke.  What I later found is that the pin comes out when the key is in the ignition.  Remove the key, the pin goes in and it all slides nicely.

Now the question, is that pin critical to the functioning of the ignition lock system (probably).  Any thoughts about replacing that part (the lock mechanism not just the pin)?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009 - 01:20:21 AM »
it si the key in ign arm that trips the buzzer , I hate the buzzer , basically it will have no effect on the lock operation
BTW the lock always goes in & out Without the key in the lock
 new lock assemblys are easy to get fro about $20 from BLUE Streak / Standard , the outer trim ring is often loose & swivels due to a weak / broken tab that keeps it in place , the lock can be keyed to your door key by a locksmith or I will be happy to buy 1 here , match you key code & send them out if needed

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2009 - 01:43:43 AM »
Hmm, I don't remember ever having a buzzer in the car, wonder if it were removed?

Any word on the dust shield in the lower tube just above the lower bearing?  That or the rubber o-ring between the two plates that mount to the firewall?

Also, any recommendations on repairing/replacing the shifter arm?:

It's not really a chrome but more of a satin finish.  It is peeling like chrome though.

Thanks.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2009 - 04:17:16 PM »
I see some gaskets at SMS I believe and the arms are available repro.

Tom
Tom

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2009 - 08:57:50 PM »
Do you know where?  I didn't see them at year one.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009 - 10:16:59 PM »
I was thinking turn signal lever.oops

Not sure on the Shifter arm.

Tom
Tom

Offline peterro

• The Pistonhead
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2009 - 01:48:30 AM »
No worries.  Still wondering how to restore this arm before it goes back together.  It may need to go to the plating shop but I don't know how to remove the knob at the end.  Is there a screw inside the end?  Is it molded to the arm?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Also, I finally finished my blog entry of the column tear-down with lots of pictures.  Special thanks to Cody for the original process.  Mine can be seen here:  http://ron.peterro.com/?p=20