Author Topic: 73 Barracuda Headliner  (Read 6452 times)

Offline MrMopar440

73 Barracuda Headliner
« on: June 17, 2008 - 10:22:22 AM »
I finally decided to tackle my headliner. The existing one was a hand-made job. I am sure it looked better than nothing but... :puke: VELEOUR?
Anyway, I ordered the headliner from Dante's (looks nice). But I have a problem - Which way does it go? Does the necked down portion go to the front or the other way (skinny to the back)? I can't tell from looking at the old one.

On a similar topic, I got the sail panels at the same time. There weren't any before. How do they attach? Is it only the coat hook that holds them up? What about the two extra rows of hooked grabbers? I'll grab some pictures tonight, but I doubt that the headliner has enough material to reach that far down on the sides. I haven't opened up the new sail panels, but it didn't look like they had that much extra material either.

And one final question (for now anyway). How many clips are supposed to be on the moldings that clip on the upper portion of the window? I have three along the top on one side - two on the other  - and a single one on the downward portion (only on one side). I am guessing that some of them got lost or placed wrong when the previous guy installed his headliner.

Thanks

Offline MrMopar440

Re: 73 Barracuda Headliner
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008 - 09:40:04 AM »
***UPDATE***
OK, Here are some pictures I took to show what I am talking about.
1st - Headliner showing the thinner portion comparred to the rest. Which end is the front?
2nd - "Extra" sets of gripper teeth. What are they for?
3rd - Differnt view of both sets of teeth
4th - Clips on the side pieces. I was wrong on my count. There are two on the top and one on the down leg. Is this right?

Thanks for the help

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008 - 04:20:49 AM »
OK, So I got it in the car and I think I have it in the right direction (narrow end at the front). Now I am a little hesitant to start cutting on the pockets where the rods go. I have them centered, so do I just cut a hole where the end is and make it a little long for adjustment? Like 1" or so to start? And does anyone have any input on the "extra" set of gripper teeth? Thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008 - 04:30:20 AM »
I paid a local guy to do mine , he si awesome at installing them so I am not a lot of help , I know he uses the gel contact cement & a heat gun to make it stick as he pulled it tight in every direction , he takes approx 2 hrs to do them

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline inot2old

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008 - 04:49:42 PM »
You should be able to tell which way it goes by where the rods are.  I did the headliner in my '73 Cuda 3 years ago, so I can't remember much about it, but I did have good directions that came with it from Legendary.  If I remember right, you do have to leave some extra around the rods.  I thought I got enough extra material to do the sail panels too.  I can't help you with the gripper teeth. 
Did you try to do a search on this site for headliner?  It seems like everybody who tries to install one has a lot of questions  lol.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008 - 03:53:29 AM »
No work this weekend - I ended up shooting my steering column so I can get it back togeather first. I have done many searches, but most look like they went the same routw Chryco did - let the pros handle it. Hopefully next weekend I will tackle it. Thanks

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008 - 07:32:22 AM »
Well, I started on it. Not too bad for about an hour's worth of time so far. A lot of time for minimal progress, but I get nervous about cutting on something that I can't send back if I screw it up.

Offline 67vertman

• Sr. Resident
  • Member since 9-23-2005
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008 - 06:31:25 PM »
Wow thats looking good.  Keep up the ggod work.   :2thumbs:

Don't de afraid to trim it.  Glue it and then trim it.

Ron - Born and raised in Southern California

I got the 1970 Cuda, but still need the hot blonde to ride shotgun!

First car -1969 Road Runner 383 4sp

Current ride - 1970 Barracuda 440-6 4 sp Dana 60  (4:10)

Offline inot2old

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008 - 09:35:59 PM »
Looking good, be sure to pull it as tight as you can.
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008 - 09:48:22 PM »
Post more pics since I bought a new headliner for my car this weekend...

Tom :bigsmile:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008 - 02:07:08 AM »
I will definately be posting more. Wife sprained her ankle this weekend :banghead:, so not much accomplished. But I have figured out why the directions I found showed it being done with the glass out. There is nothing to clamp it to except the spikes otherwise! But, I just jumped in and started. The sides are squared up pretty well and I have started spiking the front in and then plan to work backwards to the rear glass. Any tips on WHERE I should be gluing? The one that was in there wasn't glued at all. Thanks for the encouragement - More pictures tomorrow (as long as I can get out to the garage before midnight.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2008 - 02:36:44 AM »
On a similar topic, I got the sail panels at the same time. There weren't any before. How do they attach? Is it only the coat hook that holds them up? What about the two extra rows of hooked grabbers? I'll grab some pictures tonight, but I doubt that the headliner has enough material to reach that far down on the sides. I haven't opened up the new sail panels, but it didn't look like they had that much extra material either.
Thanks

Not sure how the sail panels attach, but here is a picture of a "factory original job".  They're basicly cardboard thats painted flat black.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline MrMopar440

Re: 73 Barracuda Headliner - Update 17 July
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2008 - 03:23:12 AM »
Here are a few shots from a couple of days ago. It is not perfect, but that is about the best I could do. A couple of the seams are not quite right, but I think with the trim back on no one but me will see it. I did finally pull the trigger and glue it down and trim it up last night. Pictures of that tomorrow. Thanks for the help on the sail panels. I got REM ones now that I am assuming I have to stick the extra fabric to the back on the provided 3m tape. But, i need to get my order to Roseville in for the little clip on the back that holds it to the pillar. Does anyone know if that is the same clip that I need to use on the bottom of the door panels?

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008 - 03:18:38 AM »
Well, here is is all trimmed up and ready for the trim pieces to go back on. All in all, I am pretty happy. Took me about 4-6 hours over a few days. Probably would have been faster if I could have done it in one shot though. Now I just have to get the mirror back on so I can go for a spin this weekend.

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008 - 12:29:03 AM »
 :2thumbs:  It's looking good!
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340