Any Aluminum Radiator you guys recomend?

Author Topic: Any Aluminum Radiator you guys recomend?  (Read 12756 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: Any Aluminum Radiator you guys recomend?
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008 - 08:37:13 PM »
IMO Be Cool radiators are way overpriced. There are radiators that have the same flow, material, design and construction for much less money. I have a Summit 4-core cross flow aluminum radiator. No epxoy. it looks likes a Be Cool, acts like a Be Cool, but nowhere the price of a Be Cool. I believe in quality & won't buy crap just to save a buck, but sometimes the extra bucks don't get ya much extra but a name. If you are racing and running high HP, you may want to pay the extra bucks for a high flow radiator, otherwise I'd save my money and buy a quality radiator comparable to Be Cool, but not as expensive. Just my :2cents:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008 - 10:09:54 PM »
I got the Summit brand rad in mine.  Cools very well.  I used the northern radiator and shroud cut to fit with a factory fan and HD clutch.  I bet I have at least 400hp or so with a higher than stock tq converter.  The car runs at 160 all day in heat(95F) with traffic.  You should be good with a stock replacement rad with about 350hp though.  Maybe the fan clutch is going bad too.

I think the rad was 320 and the shroud was 60 or so.

Tom :2thumbs:

By tdavist, shot with DSC-P72 at 2008-05-24
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline 74 340 4speed

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008 - 10:50:20 PM »
Mancini Racing custom built radiator.  http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mucaralra1.html  My 340 will not go over 180*, even when its 105*+ outside.  Amazing rad, pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Andy
1967 Camaro SS: 406 sbc 505 hp/506 ft lbs|4 speed|Posi|3.73s
1969 C/10  350|Turbo 350
1969 Dodge D300 318|4 speed|Dana|4.88s
1972Nova: 350|Turbo 350
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|posi
1999 Camaro SS: Auto|Longtube Headers|True Duals|TT2s
2013 Challenger R/T: 6 speed|Hurst with pistol grip|mopar performance exhaust|super track pak

nivvy

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008 - 02:31:03 AM »
I got the Summit brand rad in mine.  Cools very well.  I used the northern radiator and shroud cut to fit with a factory fan and HD clutch.  I bet I have at least 400hp or so with a higher than stock tq converter.  The car runs at 160 all day in heat(95F) with traffic.  You should be good with a stock replacement rad with about 350hp though.  Maybe the fan clutch is going bad too.

looks nice for the price....

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008 - 11:08:29 AM »
I had room with the 700HP kit and didnt have to put battery in trunk.... just did for weight transfer.....  :working:

FYI - I have never ran hot .... track or street......

Do you have a link or part number to your setup?

- Jørgen - Norwegian Mopar fanatic

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda 383 A833 8-3/4 3.23 suregrip
http://cuda.widing.biz/

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008 - 11:41:10 AM »

Looks real nice.

Found the radiator but not the shroud
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM%2D380460

Offline rusty dodge

• 74 challenger 440-727-3:55
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008 - 01:48:48 PM »
I had that northern - summit one. Got rid of it and put on that one from ebay Model 375. Works great, Your factory shroud - fan will work with it. Has top bottom tanks so it fills out the opening with a core that is 26".

Summit - Nothern - All side tank ones have the problem that the radiator is smaller than it needs to be. If you get that 26" wide one. The core is only 22" wide. Dosnt fill out the opening. The tanks are into the opening on the sides. Also you need to fab up some kind of shroud for the fan. Big pain in the ass.

If you get the 30" wide one, the core will fill out the opening but then it cant bolt on to the side flanges and look like it fits correct. The side flanges will have a gap and/or be bent in to get it bolted on.

The northern one that blots onto the frame rails is a good way to do the side tank style ones, but you cannot have the battery there.

I know all this, cost me about $400.00 to learn it. I didnt want to go with that chinese model 375, but after calling northern and getting nowhere with them, I just bought that 375. I'm very happy with it.

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008 - 01:57:44 PM »
I had that northern - summit one. Got rid of it and put on that one from ebay Model 375. Works great, Your factory shroud - fan will work with it. Has top bottom tanks so it fills out the opening with a core that is 26".

Summit - Nothern - All side tank ones have the problem that the radiator is smaller than it needs to be. If you get that 26" wide one. The core is only 22" wide. Dosnt fill out the opening. The tanks are into the opening on the sides. Also you need to fab up some kind of shroud for the fan. Big pain in the ass.

If you get the 30" wide one, the core will fill out the opening but then it cant bolt on to the side flanges and look like it fits correct. The side flanges will have a gap and/or be bent in to get it bolted on.

The northern one that blots onto the frame rails is a good way to do the side tank style ones, but you cannot have the battery there.

I know all this, cost me about $400.00 to learn it. I didnt want to go with that chinese model 375, but after calling northern and getting nowhere with them, I just bought that 375. I'm very happy with it.

Got any picture of it installed? I'm getting a elctric fan anway. But the les mods I have to do the better. You have noe problem with overheating. Not even when sitting in traffic?

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008 - 02:13:21 PM »
Don't go with the electric fan bs. Just keep what you have now. I tried many electric fans, only 1 blows same as the 7 blade mech fan cluch that I have on there now. That one is the ford taurus 2 speed one. That ford one kicks ass, but dosnt fit in front of a big block. Plus the shoud is a little small.

No aftermarket electric fan will blow the same as an OEM electric one. All their marketing bs about cfm and all is just plain bs. If you find someone who has an electric working- they probably got a custom shroud to make it work. It is difficult to get good results while stopped, and also cruising down the road at 3000 rpm. That "beecool" setup showing 2 fans on the radiator for over 1000.00, why didnt the shroud cover the complete core?

No pic of the model 375 one right now, I will try to post one later for you.

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008 - 02:28:16 PM »
Don't go with the electric fan bs. Just keep what you have now. I tried many electric fans, only 1 blows same as the 7 blade mech fan cluch that I have on there now. That one is the ford taurus 2 speed one. That ford one kicks ass, but dosnt fit in front of a big block. Plus the shoud is a little small.

No aftermarket electric fan will blow the same as an OEM electric one. All their marketing bs about cfm and all is just plain bs. If you find someone who has an electric working- they probably got a custom shroud to make it work. It is difficult to get good results while stopped, and also cruising down the road at 3000 rpm. That "beecool" setup showing 2 fans on the radiator for over 1000.00, why didnt the shroud cover the complete core?

No pic of the model 375 one right now, I will try to post one later for you.
Like the model 375. looking forward toa pict.

I was thinking of getting a 16" electric fan as it would fit inside the stock shroud. I only have a 5-blade Mopar performance fan now. And it does NOT do the job when sitting in trafic. On the open road no problems at any rpm.

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008 - 04:07:20 PM »
well that 5 blade is a performance fan, meaning less HP lost from it. Not meaning better cooling performance.

I doubt if you can get 1-16" electric fan to work as good as the 5 blader you now have. What I found is that you need a shroud to work in both casses of being stopped and going fast. When stopped, the shroud needs to draw air thru the entire core. But that restricts the flow when going fast. The shroud needs to be formed in a funnel type shape, and not a squared off shape. That is why it is difficult to make.

The 7 blade mech fan works very well, and my right foot dosent feel and HP change from the electric one I had before.

nivvy

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008 - 04:24:00 PM »
I dont see how the elec. fan set up is BS..... my system has never ran hot  :2thumbs:

Some call the elec. water pump bs to.... lol ... all opinons i guess.......    :working:

Offline widing'cuda

• 70 'cuda383 - BS23N0E
    • w i d i n g ' c u d a
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2008 - 05:43:27 PM »
I'm going to use the stock shroud for 26" Radiator so if it works for the mechanical fan it should work just as fine for the 16” electronic one as well. And even better when sitting in traffic.

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2008 - 05:52:47 PM »
Marketing bs because there are no standards for testing the flow to be able to compare different fans under the same standards.
They know to just proclaim that their fan has 3000 CFM, or 2 of the smaller ones to yield 3000 cfm. I just meant that some vendors proclaim a high CFM rating, for their fan, and that may be bs. Sorry about that.

Offline rusty dodge

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2008 - 09:23:59 PM »
pics: 375 radiator, 13" billet specialties overflow, 7 blade clutch fan, OEM type shroud. Upper hose will soon be the oem type molded one, that one there is from the prior northern radiator. Lower is oem type one.
Notice it bolts up to exsisting holes, AND it fills the radiator support opening just like a brass radiator. No extra gaps along the top or sides. Also, the trans cooler fittings are in the correct location too.
Hey I wanted to get the northern one to work for me, made in USA and all, but I ran out of patience. The Northern-Summit one was sold a direct fit application, what a freakin joke.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008 - 09:32:20 PM by rusty dodge »