Author Topic: Lord, thanks for not taking me! 7/30/08 Update.... Back in business!  (Read 7716 times)

nivvy

Re: Lord, Take me now!!!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008 - 02:32:36 PM »
This is what I use on my 670HP stroker.... works great for me... not the orange andnot the chrome... i run an msd setup ......

Spitting/sputtering/cracking is an indication of being too LEAN. Now, what RPMs that it's doing this tells you which jet you need to change! 2000 RPMs and lower, and you need to richen up your idle jet (go bigger). 2500-4000 RPMs and you need to richen up your main jet!
Idle circuit: The idle circuit is the device that controls how much fuel you have at idle and it also sends fuel to the progression circuits. Where many people run into problems is that they don't understand that the IDLE JET IS THE CIRCUIT THAT THEY DO MOST OF THEIR DRIVING ON. So, this jet is critical in engine flexibility and economy. The idle jet affects engine operation up to about 2500-3000 RPMs!

If the mixture screw is more than 2 1/2 turns out turns then the Idle jet is too lean (too Small). When the mixture screw is less than 11/2 then the Idle jet (IFR) is too rich (too large). These assumptions are based on the fact that the Idle speed screw setting is not opened more than 11/2 turns. If the Idle speed screw has to be opened 2 or more turns then this is also an indication of a lean condition usually requiring greater change. At times it may appear to be showing signs of richness or flooding it is really a lean condition. This is what causes the visible rich condition, and confirms the need to increase the jet size.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008 - 02:34:37 PM by StRoKer »

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008 - 02:37:47 PM »
I hear ya' man!!    My daily driver has been driving me nuts!! :pullinghair:   E-250 van. Does something similar to your problem. Been all over it. Paid 300 bucks for some help....It didn't help. :banghead:  After messing with the plugs I changed the symptoms a little. There was a bad plug wire.It ran good at first.... Then stumbled worse as you drove it. It's fixed now   FINALLY !!!!  It was hard to find.  Don't get frustrated,Be patient.  I now use a cork type spacer under the carb. It's helped alot too!   Good luck!!     :popcorn:

I have the same VR StRoKeR.  Didn't even need it with the MSD and new alternator. Had to unplug it. If anyone needs it....It's free. I have a chrome box too...Lot's of ignition stuff left over...:2cents:
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008 - 02:43:17 PM by IMNCARN82 »
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008 - 08:15:45 PM »
If you have an extra ECU, Id check it out.  :bigshades: The only thing that makes me wonder if it is in the ignition, is b/c i really noticed that it was after I messed with the wiring. That and I changed the butterfly bar up top to the electric choke one.

Now, Id say according to Stroker, I need to richen up. My question is this: since there is only one set of each jet size in the kit, do i run one size larger secondaries? or vice versa, I already asked this before, i just want to confirm.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008 - 09:58:03 PM »
Check your plugs to determine if your running rich.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008 - 11:31:50 PM »
Will do that Sunday.  :cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008 - 11:53:05 PM »
I got a chrome box with mount. :dunno:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008 - 08:11:30 AM »
Ive heard bad things about the chrome boxes. Any problems out there?

And: can anyone confirm if that condenser is needed on the positive side of the coil??
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008 - 11:16:28 AM »
generally Chrome boxes are good , orange can be flaky though
 the condenser protects the points , not needed with electronic

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008 - 12:01:18 PM »
...the condenser protects the points , not needed with electronic

:clueless:

Sorry, a little off topic.  Hope you don't mind me asking here but....

Why is there one on my car?  I have electronic ignition?  It's a '72 340 car.  :dunno:  Was it done for radio noise suppression or something goofy like that?  As far as I know it's all stock.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

nivvy

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008 - 01:09:20 PM »
generally Chrome boxes are good , orange can be flaky though
 the condenser protects the points , not needed with electronic

Mancini racing told me thats what I needed andI told them I had an msd setup and the ballast resistor... yes they made a sale on me so its just left hooked up ... lol

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008 - 07:25:57 PM »
So, I took the car out today. Man, it was awesome on the highway. Cruised @ 80 mph for a while.

But i still got off and almost stalled at red lights. Then, i thought, maybe after it sitting for so long since November with only a few trips here and there (Legendary had my seat covers for a while) I filled up with ultra 93 from Sunoco. I figured, if it were bad gas it would dilute. well, the car ran HORRIBLE!! I stepped on it and it was spitting and missing!! So, after keeping both feet on the pedals for a couple miles, I pulled in the drive and stalled. I figured while i was at it, Id throw another Coil on to see if that was getting hot. The car kept stalling as i pulled in the garage.  :faint:

What are the symptoms of a fuel pump going bad? im reaching here, My uncle said he'd help me out next weekend when i go down to pull my cousins engine. But, it would feel good to figure this out myself.
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008 - 07:33:23 PM »
If you were going 80, and stalled at red lights, it's NOT your fuel pump.   :grinno:   Vapor lock is a possiblility, but you have a spacer under your carb.  Since it was worse after your fill-up, maybe you stirred up dirt in your gas tank, and clogged your filter? Hey, I clogged 2 in 50 miles of driving after I bought my car that sat for ages.   :faint:

I want to say electrical here(something heating up), but again, I haven't seen your car yet.   :poopoke: How are the fuel lines? new rubber up front, and from the sending unit to the solid fuel line?

Mike
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008 - 08:22:30 PM by MEK-Dangerfield »

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008 - 08:42:31 PM »
 Looking at all angles, it may have just been a coincidence that it ran worse after filling the tank. The heat build up under the hood when you stopped for gas could have affecting the culprit part again. :2cents:   

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2008 - 09:02:45 PM »
Thats what i was thinking with the Heat. MotherF'r this sucks. I'll get some time next weekend again.  :working:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline duodec

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2008 - 10:58:38 PM »
:clueless:

Sorry, a little off topic.  Hope you don't mind me asking here but....

Why is there one on my car?  I have electronic ignition?  It's a '72 340 car.  :dunno:  Was it done for radio noise suppression or something goofy like that?  As far as I know it's all stock.

The one attached to the coil is for noise suppression.  If you had a points-style distributor the ignition condenser should be attached to the distributor if I remember correctly (I replaced the points unit on my '71 with the Direct Connection kit back in '81)