Guess what I did this weekend!!!

Author Topic: Guess what I did this weekend!!!  (Read 2379 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Guess what I did this weekend!!!
« on: June 22, 2008 - 10:43:32 PM »
I tore apart a 440 big block engine!!   :woo:

It was actually a helluva lotta fun, once I made two trips to the auto parts store - the second time 'cause I once again forgot that you have to remove harmonic balancers from these things...

But I got it all torn down, degreased as best as I could, hosed it down, then wiped out the cylinders and greased them down real good.

Of course, I made one MAJOR error in that I completely forgot to keep the rod caps with their appropriate rods, which means I probably reduced the crank and rods to scrap metal simply by being incompetent - I was going to try to resell them.

I was going to take pictures, but it was such a chore trying to do this on my tiny porch next to my real nice stainless steel grill and on my previously-nice "astroturf" carpet - which is now soaked with 30-year-old grease stains.  I'll try getting some over the 4th-of-July weekend.

I do have one quick question.  Well, two actually - first, did I indeed ruin the connecting rods by swapping caps around?  Second, and I should have probably asked this BEFORE I bought the thing, but I've seen a lot of big blocks with that broken starter bracket sticking off the side of the block - the bracket is there, but the outer edge of the bolt-hole is missing.  Is there a common fix for this?  And if so, what does it usually involve?  Would the machine shop that bores, decks, and hones the block be able to fix this in most cases?  I'd say 75 percent of the bolt hole is there - the engine stand is bolted to it and it's holding nicely, but obviously I want this fixed before installing a high-torque mini-starter.

I had a lot of fun.  Takin' em apart is fun.  Of course, putting it back together is gonna take a while!  In the next month or so I plan on getting it to the machine shop to let them get to work on it.  I want to have it cleaned, bagged and tagged before moving to IN.  Then the real fun begins!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Re: Guess what I did this weekend!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 - 10:50:43 PM »
Not sure about the Big blocks. Don't they have numbers stamped on one side? :dunno:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline duodec

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 - 11:21:20 PM »
"I am not an expert"

That said I think that as long as there's nothing else wrong with them (twisted, etc) the rods are just dandy... as cores.  They will need to be reconditioned at a machine shop; the one time I saw it done (by my Uncle to some air cooled VW rods) they grind the cap and rod joining flats slightly, then bolt it together and hone the opening back to a perfect circle.

Then you take them and make marks on them so it doesn't happen again ; )

Disassembling engines is fun!  Having a place to actually clean them is wonderful (wish I did).

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 - 03:05:40 AM »
the rods & caps should be marked & even if not can be amtched back up & remachined to reuse

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 - 10:49:12 AM »
*Whew*  Good to know!

Any feedback on the Starter bolt hole?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008 - 03:28:41 AM »
starter bolts to the tranny , which bolt are you asking about ?

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008 - 12:01:55 PM »
The block has to be welded to fix. Have it done BEFORE it gets any machining, as it will change shape as a result. Like CP said, the rods should b marked. If not, you're goign to have tehm re-done anyway, so it really doesnt matter.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008 - 08:15:16 AM »
I'm not reusing the rods or crank myself - I just hear that they have some minor resale value and I thought - "hey, anything to help recover the costs for the engine build, right?"  I'm going with a new stroker kit for my build.

I'm going to try to find a picture of the bracket I'm talking about.

**EDIT**

Found it (Highlighted in Red):

Sorry it's blurry - stole it from an Ebay auction.  It's on the bottom of the block on the passenger side.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008 - 08:33:47 AM by ViperMan »

Offline heminut

• Resident
  • owner of the poor man's Hemi Cuda
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008 - 12:10:30 PM »
If the rods and caps aren't marked you can still match them up if you take the time. The machine marks in the bores of the rods and caps are like fingerprints and can be matched back up with each other. It takes some time and maybe a magnifying glass but can be done. An old timer showed me that years ago.
1970 5.7 Hemi Cuda

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008 - 01:49:49 AM »
if the ear in the pic is damaged it will need special welding to repair it

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008 - 04:22:24 AM »
Dont use the stock caps anyway....  :2cents:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008 - 09:40:47 AM »
if the ear in the pic is damaged it will need special welding to repair it

Are you able to give me more details?  Only the outer edge of the bolt hole is missing/broken off.  The "ear" is still in place.  I was kinda hoping the bolt hole could basically have a new sleeve welded in.  Is a machine shop going to be able to do this?  The shop I located in Harrisburg has lots of 440 experience.

Jeff

Offline gkring

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008 - 12:30:37 PM »
Dont use the stock caps anyway....  :2cents:

I think you are referring to main caps, stroker. Hopefully jeff kept those straight. I think he mixed up the rod caps. Either way for semi stock rebuilds (under 500 TRUE engine horsepower) the stock stuff is fine. Remachining will take care of any mismatches as well. I think the starter bolts to the transmission and the hole you are referring to is one of the trans to block bolt holes. I wouldn't fix it, just let the next guy worry about it.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2008 - 02:10:08 PM »
I'M THE NEXT GUY!!

Lol - My English must suck...

I tore apart the engine so that I can send the block off for machine work so that I can rebuild it over the next few years.  I took all the guts from the block and I'm going to scrap most of them, but have heard that the crank and rods had minor resale value which I was going to exploit until I realized I mix-matched the ROD caps.  The main caps are clearly stamped and I kept aside for obvious reuse.

So my questions were:

A)  Is there no point trying to sell the crank and rods since I mixed up the rod caps - the answer is apparently "yes I still can."

And:
B) What's involved in fixing the bolt hole on the lower right, rear side of the block.  So far I hear "special welding."

Does that clear it up?  :)

Jeff

Offline Robb

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008 - 01:42:23 AM »
""Cast iron is the most difficult of all common cast metals to weld.   All electric welding methods for cast iron have proven to be less than satisfactory and in many cases can cause even more cracks.  Most electric welds with nickel rod on cast iron fail.  Most cause more damage than was present before the attempted weld. Proper cast iron welding techniques require complete disassembly and oven preheat at 900º F. to 1500° F.  And there is a lot of time and effort involved in the clean-up and machine work of any welded piece.""

http://www.locknstitch.com/Metal_Stitching.htm

http://www.locknstitch.com/engine_block_welding.htm

yahoo.com ,  "engine block welding repair"

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=engine+block+welding+repair&fr=yfp-t-501-s&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

http://www.ehow.com/how_2116361_repair-engine-block.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

http://www.440source.com/blockinfo.htm

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler