Author Topic: Carb nightmare  (Read 1646 times)

Offline WVUFELLA

• (OO/---------\OO) closest i could for a 72
Carb nightmare
« on: June 24, 2008 - 09:57:52 PM »
hey guys i cant get my carb to function right ( Holley 770 street avenger elctric choke vac secondaries). Tonight i tried to start and it spit and sputtered and shot fuel out of the center of that piece that sticks up in the middle (pardon my grotesque explanation) In the front sight glass the fuel is over the top of the glass. I knwo it should be rigth at the bottom of the sight glass. How would I go about setting it back to where ti was when i got it. I bought it off ebay and it said it was new but I guess it could have been refurbed  or maybe another persons  problem..... so they sold it on ebay.  any suggestions would be great. My brother has a 670 that is new I am thinking about just changing it out to to see it works any better.  If i were to get a new carb what do yall recommend?? holley ,edelbrock.... etc size?????? I have a street dominator intake  dont know if that helps choose the carb or not.. thanks  in advance
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008 - 10:00:22 PM by WVUFELLA »

Offline asm74

Re: Carb nightmare
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008 - 11:14:27 PM »
that happened to me when my distributor was 180 degrees out.  I don't remember exactly what happened, but gas wasn't getting into the combustion chambers because the intake valves were closed and it looked like it was being pushed up through the over flow vents because the bowls were filling up.
73 Challenger

Offline matt63

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008 - 12:11:23 AM »
Assuming there is nothing wrong with the carb you can adjust the float levels by following CP's carb tuning advice (search this forum) or you can download a manual from Holley's website for some basic instructions.  The float levels are adjusted by using a 5/8 wrench and a flat head screwdriver.  It's usually done with the engine running as the float level won't drop/rise otherwise.  If you loosen the screw slightly and turn the hex nut CW this should drop the float level.  The level is correct when fuel just dribbles out of the sight glass hole.  Adjusting the float levels is one of the first things that should be done when installing a new carb.  I would double check my instructions and the car should be on level ground.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008 - 01:36:10 AM »
you have dirt or rubber inside the needle & seat in the carb , often just tapping on the carb with a screwdriver handle or similar will move the dirt out of the seat or you can unthread the neddle assy & clean it out & reset the float level , it will run properly after the dirt is out

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008 - 07:17:44 AM »
I dont think the car is 180 off I have drove the car around a lil jus in the neighborhood and it runs good when it was running. However I took the car the body man's house and it sat for a few months only being started up periodically. Now all the sudden it seems like the floats are way off again. Last night we adjusted the floats all the up and down and it didnt seem to make any difference.  Is there a chanc the primary float is stuck and the adjustement is not making any difference?? If i remove the bowl to look at the float would i be able to or tell by moving the float manually iif ti really is stuck??? Am i possibly gettign to much fuel pressure??
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008 - 07:19:17 AM by WVUFELLA »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008 - 08:28:01 AM »
It could be too much fuel pressure... You should be able to notice the gas level change as you adjust the float. Love those clear sight glasses.  :thumbsup:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008 - 01:48:51 AM »
if it is spewing out the breather tube the needle / seat is stuck open with something , I would tap it first & remover the needle & seat Assy before I would disassemble the carb

Offline WVUFELLA

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008 - 06:49:51 AM »
It ended up being a bent float..... once that got striaghtened out she idled right no more loading up.... the fuel was at the bottom of the window where it is supposed to be... life is good for now... thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008 - 10:21:25 AM »
 :2thumbs: