Functional Hood Scoops

Author Topic: Functional Hood Scoops  (Read 19602 times)

Offline Supercuda

Re: Functional Hood Scoops
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2008 - 06:17:17 PM »
That is exactly why they are there. Aerodynamics doesn't have to be that complicated, as long as you aren't trying to prove anything to a "show me" person. I put a Superbird wing on my 1967 'Cuda, and the comment I have heard most concerning the aerodynamics of it is: "Why put it on? Those things don't even begin to work until 100 mph." I hate to burst a lot of bubbles out there, but the wing starts affecting handling at speeds as low as 40 MPH. My car is absolutely stable in crosswinds that have other vehicles changing lanes, and I need to install a front air dam on the car, to counter the rear downforce. At about 60-70 MPH, the front got really light, and made me nervous. Extreme effects don't happen with much of anything on a car until you get above 100 MPH, but aerodynamics becomes a critical factor above 40 MPH. also, don't let theory get in the way of a little practical experimentation. I watched an episode of "Nova" that dealt with the aerodynamics of feathered dinosaurs, and the aerodynamicist was wrong! Theory and mathematical calculations don't always hold up in the real world, and an airfoil doesn't always look exactly like an airfoil (ask the driver of the Mercedes Benz GTP car that flew upside-down after a bump). And also remember that fresh air is our friend, whether it is rammed down our throats, or gently sucked in.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2008 - 06:57:35 PM »
Thanks, Supercuda!  :thumbsup:

That Cuda with the wing...did you post a pic of here somewhere?  For some reason it sounds familiar....  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2008 - 08:11:21 PM »
Thanks, Supercuda!  :thumbsup:

That Cuda with the wing...did you post a pic of here somewhere?  For some reason it sounds familiar....  :clueless:

Cuda hunters friend.. He is from Co.  Im sure he will show it again :picture:

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008 - 05:17:30 PM »
Yes, there is a pic of my crazy car here. 'Cuda Hunter posted a picture of her that he took when I visited him in the mountains, in my Newbie intro thread. I will eventually post some pics of her myself, but haven't taken the time yet. I am trying to attach one here, I hope it shows up.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008 - 06:23:16 PM »
OMG!!

That background is SOO awesome!!.  :wow:  You people out West don't know how good you have it.   :grinno:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008 - 06:33:27 PM »
That looks like something from Mad Max.

Thanks for the picture do you have any more? What did you use for a trunk brace?
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Supercuda

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008 - 07:10:59 PM »
Dodgeboys, I get that a lot. The "Mad Max" references were so common, I finally got a bumper sticker for her that says "Road Warrior". There are other photos, and I will get around to posting them soon. As for the trunk braces, I haven't gotten around to installing them, yet. I might be removing the wing for some fitment measurements on 'Cuda Hunter's latest acquisition. If you've seen his posts, you know why we are doing measurements. It isn't just a pretty picture, it's a plan. Mike, we do know how good we have it. The scenery is around Salida, Colorado, and is some of the prettiest in our state. I occasionally get a little green when I visit up there, but it isn't a long drive to get to the pretty stuff from my house, either. My car might not be an E-body, but it was inspirational to at least one! Many years ago (1980), I drew some pictures of both a Challenger and a 'Cuda with the "wing and nosecone" treatment. That was for a friend that was wild for his own 1970 Challenger. I loved that car, too.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008 - 08:27:21 PM »
Thanks
We put one on a RR with out any bracing and bent the quarters at speed. :faint:

Yes it was fun...

Keep us posted.   :thumbsup:

Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008 - 09:26:18 PM »
My car might not be an E-body, but it was inspirational to at least one! Many years ago (1980), I drew some pictures of both a Challenger and a 'Cuda with the "wing and nosecone" treatment. That was for a friend that was wild for his own 1970 Challenger. I loved that car, too.

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting the pic!  Love the scenery also!

bentpushrods on this site I think has a Cuda or Challenger 1/24 scle model with the Superbird wing and nose cone.  It was in the building stage but looked cool!  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger