Author Topic: I your opinion and help  (Read 673 times)

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
I your opinion and help
« on: June 27, 2008 - 12:12:13 PM »
Ok So when I bought my car in 04 I new nothing about mopars at all I just new I wanted a muscle car. At the time I was working for my uncle's pipe supply company and All the guys there had old muscle cars. They had a 66 chevelle, 69 chevelle, and a el camino ss. So everyday the guys would search on the internet, local autotrader, and newspaper. One day One of the guys walks in throws a newspaper on my desk and says you have to get this car. So I got it.

Now when I bought it the guy said it was numbers matching. Between us I don't think the guy new anything about the car either. I didn't even care if it was or not. I know I just need to look at the numbers but Ive been a little lazy about it. I have all the original 2 bbl intake manifold w/carb, aircleaner, exhaust manifold, fan with shroud, third member 2.76, and dash gauges. I'm buying a house right now and Will be moving and money is getting tight for the car. How important are the parts of a numbers matching engine? I'm not gonna sell the car but I wanted to know your opinion on keeping or selling these old parts which I will probably never put back on.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: I your opinion and help
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008 - 12:17:15 PM »
Never is a long time...keep the parts. The most expensive thing you have is the shroud, and you should keep it, keep it all. One day you may even want a 2bbl back on just to afford cruising since cruising gets deep into our blood. So at 8 bucks a gallon sippin fuel through a smaller carb and the 276 gears will take you a long ways. Never NEVER sell your matching stuff if at all possible

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008 - 12:59:37 PM »
Keep it.  I have the EXACT same drivetrain in my car, and its a numbers car.  Like Al said, the 2bbl is nice now that fuel prices are high.  Almost has the same kick, and takes much less fuel when you step on it.  The 2.76 gears keep the RPM nice and low.  I wouldnt get rid of it.  Its not high buck stuff that people are going to pay for, so you wont be much ahead, just out your parts.   :2cents:

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008 - 02:07:46 PM »
OK thanks guys

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008 - 05:50:24 AM »
I would keep everything because if you ever do and lets hope not get rid of your car the next guy will surely want it original and numbers matching.  Truely it is hard to find a numbers matching exactly car.  Things break and have to be replaced.  Remember what the warranty was on these when they were new.  I know that several engine and transmissions were changed out because of warranty.   So if you have all of the original parts keep them for sure.

:2cents:
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008 - 10:55:04 AM »
Keep it.  I have the EXACT same drivetrain in my car, and its a numbers car.  Like Al said, the 2bbl is nice now that fuel prices are high.  Almost has the same kick, and takes much less fuel when you step on it.  The 2.76 gears keep the RPM nice and low.  I wouldnt get rid of it.  Its not high buck stuff that people are going to pay for, so you wont be much ahead, just out your parts.   :2cents:

:iagree:    I agree with everyone else on this. You may even want to put thosr 276's back in if gas gets much higher.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008 - 12:15:11 AM »
I didn't think about the gas thing but what should I do with the stuff in the mean time put it in a box or restore em and hangit up in the garage