Author Topic: Our '70 N Code SE project.  (Read 3283 times)

Offline dusty

Our '70 N Code SE project.
« on: June 30, 2008 - 08:05:55 PM »
So last year I bit the bullet and bought a 1970 JHN0B car. After two years of watching from the sidelines I finally found an unmolested Ebody. I didn't know at first that they had only made 622 or so N code SE's but the car felt good. It had not been started since 1987, and the guy that owned it needed some money for heart surgery. I got my car, the second owner got the money for the operation, and we both kinda became friends and talk on the phone from time to time. It worked out!

Well the car originally had the 4 barrel 383, but that is gone, in its place is a 1968 440. The transmission and everything else matches. The original owner hated the purple he had ordered so he had it painted white around 1978. After settling on the price we finally got it started and actually even went and burned the rubber for minute, but the master cylinder was going bad, and the front disc brakes were stuck, anyway we drove it up on the trailer and brought her home. She sat through the winter in a barn, and then around Feb we moved her inside and started taking her apart, tagging and bagging everything. Then last week we took her down to Huntsville Alabama to the guy that is going to do the body work.

Anyway, I will post a few pics in a little bit as soon as I find the CD from last year with that pictures of buying her.

*stay tuned*.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Our '70 N Code SE project.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008 - 08:15:04 PM »
 :bananasmi wow......... my brothers car is one of those 644 SE 383-4 Auto Challengers aswell :2thumbs: good score
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008 - 08:51:33 PM »
Ok I am going to beat Mek to it............... :useless: :useless: :useless:.
Dave or David

Swedefish

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008 - 01:17:37 PM »
Looks as a really nice project.
 :2thumbs:
I resized the pics

Offline dusty

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008 - 01:22:32 PM »
Thanks for resizing the pics. Somwhow my small ones got confused with the huge ones..  :grinyes:

Offline dusty

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008 - 09:25:09 AM »
Hey Hemiken maybe you speak with your brother about starting start our own registry for the N-code non R/T and non 'Cuda cars or something. This is something that needs to be done to further the documentation of these cars. The documentation on them seems to be scant especially with regard to the engines etc. I will post you a private message once back from travelling and I get a simple site set up.

http://www.ncodesleepers.org or something?   :popcorn:

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008 - 09:28:39 AM »
Yea that does sound good :2thumbs:
It would be unique and good fun to find out how many Non R/T and Non 'Cuda 383 cars are still kicking around for sure :woo:  Going buy the numbers of certain models they are few and far between  :swaying:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline dusty

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008 - 08:43:44 AM »
Well, finally got down to the shop where the car is. The fellow that is doing the body work has had two projects going in front of this one, and a mother with cancer, so it hasn't been fast. However at least the car is now stabilized!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 08:45:48 AM by dusty »

Offline dusty

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008 - 08:49:10 AM »
Shot from another angle (these pics are several months old!)

Offline dusty

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008 - 08:52:02 AM »
Hopefully he will has the new trunk pans in by now, and there are couple of places on the floor that need some work. After it was blasted some rust came out that I sure didn't see, but at least he is a great metal guy, and has the knowledge to completely fix her the right way!

Thanks for taking a look. Will be heading down to Huntsville soon for some more pictures of the progress!

Oh yeah -- while down there the last time got into an argument with the guy and my dad about taking back original or not. They really got my goat by saying that we should just throw the vinyl top/rear formal window away and go with paint..  :swear:. (  Maybe they were pulling my leg, but they sure seemed sincere.)

Their argument was that since I am never going to sell it, to make it like I want it -- and "who would know"  :banghead:.

In any event I think I got my point across that I will know, and I want it close to original -- but will give on the raison bran hood..

Because since I will *know* it should be like I want it! And I want it fairly original looking! It may not be a T/A but it can still be a cool and unusual car without really adding a bunch of crap to it.

So along with the 440 that came with the car my long term plans are to find a date coded 383, and get a nice flat hood as well. Everything else is gonna stay original! :cooldancing:

--except the bias ply tires.. haha
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008 - 09:32:02 AM by dusty »

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008 - 09:49:28 AM »
Your paying for it to get done so what ever you do don't let them tell you how you want it done. It's your car and money.....do it the way YOU want it!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008 - 11:52:26 AM »
You don't want to lose the the formal rear window.   That is the (one) of the trademarks of the SE.      Fix it back as close as possible.   Looks good so far.
Dave or David

Offline mcgheejt

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008 - 07:16:36 AM »
Looks like yours is in the same condition as mine.  If those pics are several months old, I will be looking forward to seeing your progress.  I love those SE cars.  I also happen to be a big fan of FC7 even if it has become a bit to common of late.   :2thumbs:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008 - 08:13:57 AM »
My brother in law also has one of those 383-4 SE's. I have not had the heart to tell him its not an R/T SE. I was looking at the vin a while back looking for confirmation that it did not have a front rubber bumper and noticed it was a JH29 not JS29. Oh well, still a really cool car. I also agree not to let the body shop steer you into an easy path for them just to mess your car up. Without the small rear window, the vinyl top with fratzog, etc. you might as well just have a regular Challenger. The car is looking good, keep it up and keep us posted   :2thumbs:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 70shaker6pk

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008 - 01:08:01 PM »
Looks like your project is coming along very nicely,  Do your car the way you want, you only need to please yourself in the end :2thumbs:
'JS23V0B'  1970 Challenger R/T N96 440 Six Pack