Author Topic: Water Pump housing question  (Read 1320 times)

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Water Pump housing question
« on: July 04, 2008 - 01:24:11 PM »
Hey folks, :bigsmile:
Happy Independance Day (for those of you in the USA). I forget that we have so many board members in other countries!! I just pulled the water pump and housing from my big block (440) and noticed that there was no gaskets where the housing bolts to the block. It never leaked. It did have a film of silicone sealant. Is the housing supposed to have gaskets on each side where it bolts to the block or is this supposed to be a metal to metal fit?? Thanks guys. this site rocks!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Grancoupe

Re: Water Pump housing question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008 - 02:00:15 PM »
Should have had gaskets under it. But I guess the guy that last worked on you car decided to just use RTV? Its a pretty solid piece when you think about it. After all a diff on an 8 3/4 goes in with no gaskets since its all cast iron. That pump housing is a pretty stout piece. Not recommending it though. I would use the gaskets.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008 - 02:18:24 PM »
It should have a gasket, but I guess RTV was used. Heck, I would use both just to be sure.   :lol:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008 - 09:51:36 PM »
  Not using a gasket has the advantage of closing the gap at the back of the pump increasing the efficency of the pump slightly, I would always use a gasket though.    :bigsmile:
Dave

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008 - 10:01:50 PM »
I would much rather use a gasket with a thin film of silicone rather than a larger bead that might squeeze to the inside of the pump housing. If a decent sized piece of silicone breaks loose and gets into the cooling system it could wreck all kinds of havoc on your engine.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008 - 11:53:22 PM »
I made some gaskets from some 1/32" stock. Made plenty of gaskets working in the marine industry. Funny though, I went to Advance Auto and they didn't even have the water pump housing gaskets in the computer system and I couldn't find anything on the housing in my factory service manual. Maybe I was looking in the wrong section :dunno:. Only the water pump was in the cooling section. All I need now is for my aluminum radiator to arrive BEFORE I leave for Carlisle. Thanks for all the input!! :2thumbs:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline MrMopar440

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008 - 02:43:55 AM »
I would definitely use a gasket. Never hurts and anything to help stop possible leaks.  :2cents:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008 - 03:07:50 AM »
I would use a thin layer of the Copper type RTV on a water pump housing and never give it a second thought. I've used it to seal 8 3/4 rear chunks without a gasket and always use it on the ends of Intake manifolds on small blocks. If you put enough on to possibly clog the cooling system you are using way too much. Just smear a little on the entire gasket surface and don't squeeze half the tube on. :thumbsup: 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!