Author Topic: 1970 Broadcast sheet pulled...  (Read 3325 times)

Offline 70r/t

1970 Broadcast sheet pulled...
« on: July 06, 2008 - 10:07:27 PM »
Well I just picked up my Challenger and was having discussions with the previous owner.  He was telling me he didn't find a sheet in the back seats etc but didn't check the driver seat so popped it open today.

Well, I did find a sheet but I also found a dead mouse in there and let's just say the smell didn't age well like fine wine.  Mickey also took quite a few chews out of the paper in the important spots (it's a shame because the sheet is actually in very good condition other than the chewed up parts).  From the sheet I can see a partial on the sequential number (14903##).  Should that part line up with my VIN (my VIN JS23N0B154@@@, Canadian car.) 

Also anything that could help me out would be great (I don't have the fender tag and would like to figure out all the options).  The car is a Real R/T 383 auto, PS, Disk brakes.  It was a pale yellow (don't know the code yet) with black interior.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2008 - 10:11:45 PM by 70r/t »

Alaskan_TA

Re: 1970 Broadcast sheet pulled...
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:13:01 PM »
Well, this sheet is for an FK5 car - Dark Burnt Orange Metallic, so if you car was light yellow, then the sheet is for another car. This is common.

The very next thing you need to do is check inside the passenger side seat back for another sheet.

I'll be back in a few after I check the sheet you found a little better.................

Barry

Offline 70r/t

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:16:55 PM »
Opened up the passenger seat and it was perfect, untouched (wish the one with the sheet was like that) yet no sheet inside.  The back seat does not have one and not sure where else to look.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:21:19 PM »
Use this for a checklist;

Taped to the back side / top of the glove box insert.
Under the front bucket seats in the springs
Inside the bucket seat backs
Under the rear seat bottom
In the rear seat back.
Under the package tray(speaker shelf)
Under the carpet

Some folks have found them in odd places like inside the door panels and wrapped around the bottom of the steering column as well.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:28:47 PM »
The sheet you found is coded E24, so the engine was a 225 cid /6. The partial interior code ends in K4, and it is coded C55 for bucket seats, so it is most likley H6K4.

Not all the data is there (damn mice, at least it died  ;) ) but the possible VIN number prefixes would be JH23C0B or JH27C0B.

Please save every little scrap of broadcast sheet you find, it would be fairly easy to reassemble this one with the scraps.  :thumbsup:

Offline 70r/t

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:35:47 PM »
Lol.....yes I did try and save as many scraps.  One part is a good piece with an "H" on there and a blue category that has a "CO?" in it.  Either way, there was a dead mouse, sunflour seeds, cotton mess (nesting material)...and the pieces of the broadcast sheet.  My brother couldn't believe I was sifting through it and believe me, this ranks up there with one of the worst smells I've ever had a whiff of...

I'm thinking the seats are not original to the car.  I was not brought up with Dodge cars (we had one Challenger) but mainly Chevy (I currently own a 69 Camaro Vert as well) so my question is where should I look for the hidden VIN's on the body now...just want to make sure they match up with the VIN/ownership.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:41:44 PM »
The sheet VIN is actually close enough to your car VIN that it could have been in there since it left the factory.

The body numbers are on the cowl and radiator support.

Let me dig up a link with photos.........

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:44:03 PM »
Here you go;

http://www.aarta.com/numbers_matching/numbers_matching.html

The actual locations can and do vary from one car to the next, so just use these as a general guide.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:46:52 PM »
The H you found likely goes here where the red circle is;

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:51:40 PM »
Or here (for the H)  - blue circle.

Small white letters CO on a blue back grond would go where thr blue X is.

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:53:20 PM »
Look for a piece with a ripped number then a blue vertical line and then a 5 please?

Offline 70r/t

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008 - 10:56:54 PM »
Yep, it fits there fine, I'll probably sort through the other stuffing and get some other letters out of there.

Thanks for the help.

Alex

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008 - 11:04:04 PM »
This may help some;

Offline Culvers

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008 - 07:20:49 AM »
Must be a JH23. JH29 should have C26 (overhead consolette) on the sheet

Offline 70r/t

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008 - 04:18:07 PM »
Well sorting through the bits of paper (have a ton now) I found a section with a "5" on it and another section with a "23" on it.  The mouse chewed up most of the other bits so it will be difficult to put back together.