Author Topic: Looking for the best rocker arm  (Read 15567 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Looking for the best rocker arm
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2008 - 02:27:54 AM »
Have not decided yet ...still looking into it

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2008 - 02:37:01 PM »
It's not the material as much as the designs. T&D will take MUCH more spring pressure and abuse than any Crane or Harland Sharp. There's no reason to worry about running the right aluminum rocker on the street. These cars are not running 360 days a year and racking you 20K a year. If the spring keeps the valve and lifter under control, you will not have an issue. The last 505 runs an Engle cam, but Comp springs because IMO Engle didnt want enough spring in it. I prefer to run a little much than just enough or not enough on a street car. Because like detonation, it's bad harmonics that break rockers, retainers, and locks. On Edelbrock heads now shipped as assemblies the springs are barely adequate for older street profiles, never mind a modern grind. I know of many street car solid roller cam engines that run T&Ds on thier heads that are years old. Even with rebuilding the roller lifters and replacing the valve springs as required. The design and materials are much better than the budget lines. 

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2008 - 02:19:56 AM »
T&D or Jesel will most likely be the choice

nivvy

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2008 - 04:43:32 AM »
The $1000+ T&D's lasted about 5 years on the 499 indy headed megablock down at the shop... some are still alive and some have split in half....  Was only on a 1/4 mile track car :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2008 - 12:47:47 PM »
ok maybe I will just sell the heads

Offline firefighter3931

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2008 - 01:50:47 AM »
The $1000+ T&D's lasted about 5 years on the 499 indy headed megablock down at the shop... some are still alive and some have split in half....  Was only on a 1/4 mile track car :working:

What were the seat and open spring pressures ? How many passes ? Did the valvetrain ever go into float ?

Lots of things can cause a rockerarm to fail....

Ron
68 Charger RT street/strip Bruiser & 70 Charger RT 440-6pack the ultimate Cruiser

nivvy

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2008 - 11:02:56 PM »

What were the seat and open spring pressures ? How many passes ? Did the valvetrain ever go into float ?

Lots of things can cause a rockerarm to fail....

Ron

dont have exact specs handy but the motor thats in my car now has 200 seat and 658lbs open  :scared:

Like I always say............. ALL parts can fail..... I personally like the impossible to get RAS rockers..............   :2cents: