Author Topic: Looking for the best rocker arm  (Read 15586 times)

nivvy

Re: Looking for the best rocker arm
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008 - 04:41:34 AM »
I agree cp.... i just dont like them cause like the guy above stated... its what you getto the ground....

I agree with you 100* on everything usually except i cant believe you dont like needle bearing rockers.... I love the harlands...

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008 - 08:37:46 AM »
The thing I don't like about the Harland Sharps is not the needle bearings but the overall design.  There is no reinforcement rib along the top.  All the factory rockers have this - 273, max wedge, hemi, even the stamped steel ones.  Jessels have this, I can't afford Jessels, but they look good.  Without this, it looks like the rocker will flex with lost motion not being transmitted to the valve.  Possibly eventual failure.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008 - 08:44:40 AM »
It can be a bit tough switching cams and heads and Intakes AFTER an engine is in the car on a chassis dyno. It's even a pain to switch jets compared to having your motor on a engine dyno. They don't have seperate temp sensors for each cylinder like dyno headers do either.

Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008 - 05:55:24 PM »
I know its a totally different head and therefore rocker arm but if i had it to do over again I would have waited for the 1.6 Crane ductile iron rockers instead of getting the Crane gold rockers. I don't have much confidence in aluminum for an everyday street driven application.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

nivvy

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008 - 06:03:45 PM »
I know its a totally different head and therefore rocker arm but if i had it to do over again I would have waited for the 1.6 Crane ductile iron rockers instead of getting the Crane gold rockers. I don't have much confidence in aluminum for an everyday street driven application.

why not ???

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008 - 06:13:40 PM »
Just the same old reputation that aluminum has. Rods for racing but not for street. weaker but lighter metal needing much more mass to be as strong as steel. To me comparing steel rockers to aluminum is like comparing forged pistons to cast, whether or not its true I just have never had much faith in the weak metals ability to hold up to high miles.
*Brett*

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2008 - 02:54:44 AM »

:iagree: I have seen too many fail
 I have also seen needle brg rockers after many miles & the rocker shafts have grooves worn into them due to lack of surface area & travel
 I will never use a Harland in anyhting I own or build

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2008 - 04:44:46 AM »
  :iagree: I have seen too many fail
 I have also seen needle brg rockers after many miles & the rocker shafts have grooves worn into them due to lack of surface area & travel
 I will never use a Harland in anyhting I own or build

Harlands give a lifetime warranty... good luck with whatever you choose though.....  :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2008 - 01:03:03 PM »
lifetime warranty  doesn`t help you get all the needle brgs out of an engine when one fails & does it cover wear on the shafts ?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2008 - 01:10:40 PM »
well after calling T&D & Jesel they only have the Needle brg alum rockers as well  :stomp:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2008 - 05:38:38 PM »
well after calling T&D & Jesel they only have the Needle brg alum rockers as well  :stomp:

I was reading a story in the latest Mopar Muscle about Goldbergs hemi's and it stated that they were using Indy proprietary rockers and they were stainless. Maybe Indy has some rockers for the application?  :dunno:
*Brett*

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008 - 06:07:44 PM »
Comp has those magnum roller rockers that are investment cast with no bearing in the fulcrum, but I doubt they have offset ones to fit this application...
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2008 - 12:13:02 AM »
10 years of street and strip on my Harlands.

Offline 440mike

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2008 - 01:05:54 AM »
im realy confused now.
when i got my engine it was dynod on a superflow dyno and it was 563 hp then got it done on a mustang wheel dyno in cranbrook later in the car and it got 395 hp at the whheels ?

did you ever actually get yours done on an engine type dyno and make 715 or is that a guess?

how come mine made 395 on the mustang and yours made 415 but mine made only 563 on a superflow and yours made 715?

i dont understand gonna ask my boss to.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008 - 02:34:34 AM »
was the 563 Net HP or gross rated as per 1970 ?
 if it was net we are on the same page as this one made 590 net HP