Looking for the best rocker arm

Author Topic: Looking for the best rocker arm  (Read 15577 times)

nivvy

Re: Looking for the best rocker arm
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2008 - 04:10:59 AM »
10 years of street and strip on my Harlands.

:bigsmile:

cp hughes has cryo treated rockers .... dont knowif they make em for b1's .....

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008 - 11:40:39 AM »
lifetime warranty  doesn`t help you get all the needle brgs out of an engine when one fails & does it cover wear on the shafts ?

This is similar to the reason some guys don’t run roller cams.  The lifters are known to disintegrate sending shrapnel into the crank train.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

nivvy

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008 - 01:14:51 PM »
I dont care what part it is that goes into any motor.... all parts can fail..........  :2cents:

Good luck with the rocker your looking for CP .... :2thumbs:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008 - 04:35:47 PM »
true .. it is just a preference wheN I have other choices

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Dynamite

• N Da MAKING
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008 - 05:48:10 PM »
 :burnout: As far factory setup i think the Comp Cams setup is the best you dont have to change nothing.
Dynamite

nivvy

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2008 - 10:36:42 AM »
b1-bs rockerarms for sale,1.6 ratio T&D. shafts,studs,and holdowns included. never used. 750.00 plus shipping. 724-766-4501. or pm.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2008 - 12:42:42 PM »
I dont know what this will help, but I read an article not to long ago that said you want to run steel if possible.  The stregenth is just too much to pass on.  Also somthing I read not too long ago said that if your not running a Solid Cam but a hyd cam that you rockers will last pretty much forever (I know its an exageration) but that being the case then why not use alum rockers?  Im so glad I can run these questions by you guys when it comes to techincal details about these parts because I sure dont have the lessons learned you guys do.  Also what did you guys decide was the best rocker???  Im still wondering for when I have to build my 440.  Thanks.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

nivvy

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2008 - 12:57:09 PM »
If aluminum rockers were junk then why do mfg's even make them... like I said all parts fail.... but really whats the issue of failure is only an guestimate.... whats the conditions that caused it.. its like the ford/chevy dodge thing.... you buy a chevy and it breaks down well guess what all chevys suck then... I dont see any broken rockers in this mess  :clueless:  :working:

« Last Edit: July 13, 2008 - 01:00:30 PM by StRoKer »

nivvy

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2008 - 01:02:42 PM »
here is a bushed super victor rocker....  :clueless: what conditions caused this.. i dont know...  :working:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2008 - 02:42:17 PM »
I dont think anyone is calling aluminum rockers junk. I researched the Crane gold rockers for a while before buying them. I know a guy on another forum who builds lots of engines and he helped me a bunch. One thing he told me is that the Cranes are pretty good bang for the buck and at their advertised 1.6 ratio rating they are actually 1.65 so you get a little extra for free. The other good thing he suggested was Engle cams. Engle cams are the s**% as far as I am concerned for my applications. Turned a nasty low comp 400 from a wannabe with cheapo summit cam into a nice little street engine. Made a believer outta me  :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2008 - 02:58:36 PM »
I hope no one thinks Im calling alum rockers junk?  I dont have the education to call that.  I just know roughly how to take engines apart and put them back togeather, I have no exp with proformance parts ect.  I just know what I read and what I get here for advice!  That is why I turn to you guys!  You guys are my experience.

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

nivvy

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2008 - 07:12:47 PM »
I dont think anyone is calling aluminum rockers junk. I researched the Crane gold rockers for a while before buying them. I know a guy on another forum who builds lots of engines and he helped me a bunch. One thing he told me is that the Cranes are pretty good bang for the buck and at their advertised 1.6 ratio rating they are actually 1.65 so you get a little extra for free. The other good thing he suggested was Engle cams. Engle cams are the s**% as far as I am concerned for my applications. Turned a nasty low comp 400 from a wannabe with cheapo summit cam into a nice little street engine. Made a believer outta me  :bigsmile:

My next solid roller will be a engle grind ....  :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008 - 10:53:59 PM »
there are different application for things as well , RAce parts have a limited lifespan & are regularly replaced but tend to be lighter , street parts need to be heavier & more durable , same with con rods , many race engines use Alum rods & they have an approx lifespan of 50 passes & then they are replaced but would you use a alum rod in a 100,000 mile engine ?? common sense tells us that the rockers do not touch the shaft , if it did it would weld or score immediatly ,so more surface area has to reduce load on the shaft , I have seen needle rockers wear grooves into hardened shafts before as the surface area is small 7 the rocker doesn`t move very far so I prefer & bushed or machined rocker with closer to 1" sq surface area over the .001s of an inch of surface area needle brgs offer , just my preference for street engines 

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2008 - 11:01:44 PM »
there are different application for things as well , RAce parts have a limited lifespan & are regularly replaced but tend to be lighter , street parts need to be heavier & more durable , same with con rods , many race engines use Alum rods & they have an approx lifespan of 50 passes & then they are replaced but would you use a alum rod in a 100,000 mile engine ?? common sense tells us that the rockers do not touch the shaft , if it did it would weld or score immediatly ,so more surface area has to reduce load on the shaft , I have seen needle rockers wear grooves into hardened shafts before as the surface area is small 7 the rocker doesn`t move very far so I prefer & bushed or machined rocker with closer to 1" sq surface area over the .001s of an inch of surface area needle brgs offer , just my preference for street engines 

I got to thinking about this and wonder how a u-joint survives with needle bearing taking the torque of the engine mutipled by the trans for 100k miles.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2008 - 11:08:48 PM »
same problem , when run somewhat dry the U joint will quickly wear grooves into it