StroKerS How To: Piston to Valve Clearance

Author Topic: StroKerS How To: Piston to Valve Clearance  (Read 7936 times)

nivvy

StroKerS How To: Piston to Valve Clearance
« on: July 12, 2008 - 11:34:01 AM »
This info I found should be helpful to some... or just give you an idea in general...  :2thumbs:

Piston to valve clearance deals with the space between the valve and the piston during a critical point in the cam timing knows as the "overlap period". At no other point in the four stroke cycle does the valve get closer to the piston. Thus it is imperative that enough clearance exist in order to avoid a collision between the piston and the valve.

The overlap period occurs near the end of the exhaust stroke and at the beginning of the intake stroke, when both valves are open for a short
During Overlap both valves are open as the piston rises.
period of time. Overlap is a critical period in the cam cycle, as the movement of exhaust gases out of the combustion chamber "draws" in a fresh charge through the intake valve.

Many people have even erroneously measured clearance at the point of maximum valve lift, thinking that is the most likely point at which interference would occur. However when a valve reaches its maximum lift, the piston is actually the furthest away since this occurs during the intake stroke, when the piston is moving down the cylinder bore.

Minimum clearances between the valve and piston should be 0.080" on the intake valve, and 0.100" on the exhaust valve. If you run aluminum rods, the clearances should be even greater. In this article we'll show you the two methods most commonly used to measure piston to valve clearance.

Clay Method

There are a couple ways to check for clearance. One way is to place a 1/4" thick strip of clay on the piston, and turn the engine over through one full cycle (two rotations past TDC) allowing the valves to make an impression in the clay.

The downside to clay is that the heads must come off to do the check. Clay is also cumbersome, it tends to stick to the piston, and requires a lot of practice to get reliable measurements.
The clay is then carefully peeled off the piston, cut in various locations, and the thickness is measured to determine how much clearance exists. This method works well in that it gives you a three dimensional view of not only how much clearance there is, but also where the interference is occurring. This helps determine if the problem is too shallow of a valve pocket in the piston, or if the pocket is not wide enough for the valve head.

Spring Method

This involves using a light weight valve spring and a feeler gauge. The procedure is to replace the intake and exhaust valve springs for one cylinder with light tension "checking" springs. They can be bought at any hardware store for under a dollar. They must fit squarely between the seat and retainer and be just stiff enough to hold the valve closed.

Adjust the rockers to zero lash, irregardless of whether it is a hydraulic or a solid lifter. It is extremely important if you are using a hydraulic lifter, to AVOID preloading the lifter. Instead you want to remove all the slack in the pushrod, without forcing the plunger in the lifter downward. Be sure to make the lash adjustments when the cam lobes for that cylinder are on the base circle. (Piston is at Top Dead Center of the compression stroke.) A quick way to set the lash is to adjust the intake rocker when the exhaust valve just starts to open. Then adjust the exhaust rocker when the intake valve is just beginning to close (coming back up after full lift.)

The benefit to this approach is you don't have to take the heads off, but you do need to remove the valve springs with some sort of spring removal tool.
With the test cylinder ready, set your feeler gauges to 0.100". Starting with the piston at top dead center of the compression stroke, rotate the crank one full cycle in direction of normal rotation.

As the piston travels back up the bore the exhaust valve opens and the exhaust stroke begins. Keep an eye on the valve train, and you will notice the exhaust valve spring slowly compress as the valve fully opens. As you approach TDC you will notice the intake will begin to open before the exhaust valve has fully closed. This period, roughly 10-15 degrees before and after TDC is the overlap period. Both valves are slightly open and piston is near the top.

It is precisely during this overlap period where you'll want to use the feeler gauge to measure the distance between the valve stem and the rocker arm tip or roller. The piston is so close to the valves at this point that you can push down on the checking spring and feel the valve contact the piston. It is this distance which is critical, and needs to be a minimum of 0.080" on the intake side, and 0.100" on the exhaust. It may take several cycles to get the hang of where the overlap period is and how to take the measurements.

Conclusion
You will notice that the overlap period does not last very long, and in fact it is very easy to miss. In terms of degrees of crankshaft rotation, the total overlap period may be as little as 40 degrees for a mild cam, in other words 20 degrees before and 20 degrees after TDC. At some point within this range the piston and valve will be the closest. Therefore it is imperative to check the clearance at least every two degrees during the overlap period.

Take a few measurements, then rotate the crank a few times and check again until you get the same number each time you measure.
A helpful trick is to push down on the retainer with your thumb so that the valve a contacts the piston. Use your index finger to keep the rocker arm taught against the pushrod. As you rotate the crank the valve will "ride" the piston, and you will be able to see the space between the valve stem and rocker tip get smaller and smaller during the overlap period. Use your feeler gauge to measure the point where the gap is the smallest.

If you determine that you have at least .080" on the intake and .100" on the exhaust side then you have sufficient clearance to run that cam.

In the event you don't have enough clearance, there are several options. The easiest option is to not use that cam. Most people don't want to hear that, especially since they've already paid for the cam. This leaves a couple options in order to achieve the necessary clearance.

If your clearances are relatively close, within 0.010", you can attempt to retard or advance the camshaft. Retarding the cam effectively opens the exhaust valve earlier and the intake valve later. This translates to a few thousandths of an inch more clearance on the intake side, and roughly the same amount less on the exhaust side. In the case where your intake valve clearance was running close, and your exhaust side had plenty to spare, you could retard the camshaft 2 to 6 degrees and gain some clearance. Conversely, advancing a cam will bring the intake closer and the exhaust slightly further from the piston during overlap.

Realize, however, that when you advance or retard a cam you change the performance characteristics and power-band that was designed by the manufacturer.

The other option is to replace the pistons with aftermarket types which accommodate larger valves. Replacing pistons means a significant amount of work and money in tearing down and rebuilding the motor. However in the end an aftermarket piston with a deep valve pocket will ensure proper clearance.

The final solution is to notch the existing pistons. The following steps detail how to accomplish this.

Put a dab of white latex paint on the valve face, and then with the head on the block and the piston at TDC, force the valve down until it contacts the piston.

This results in the paint transferring on to the piston in precisely the location which needs clearancing. In this case, to the right of each intake valve relief.

With all the pistons marked, put a grinding stone on the Dremel® tool or die-grinder and carefully extend the valve relief's. Stop often to install the head and to remeasure the clearance. Try not to over do it, as removing weight results in upsetting the balance of the motor, and also weakens the piston. Be sure to take all the necessary precautions to keep the grindings out of the motor. We covered up all the adjacent cylinders and used a shop vac to suck the grindings up before we moved on.

The "professional" way to do this is to buy a piston notching tool, such as the Isky Cams product. The tool is simply a valve head with "teeth" on the face. This head attaches to an arbor, and is then installed in place of the valve in the cylinder head. A drill is attached to the arbor and used to turn the tool, and as a result the teeth grind the piston exactly where the valve would contact. The tool comes in various valve and guide diameters to work with basically any popular engine and head combo

:2thumbs:  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008 - 06:54:26 AM by StRoKer »

Offline 71chmark

Re: StroKerS How To: Piston to Valve Clearance
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008 - 11:51:02 AM »
 :wow:
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008 - 12:07:55 AM »
Great write-up Stroker.

I used the clay method on my 360 and I am glad I did because I did not have enough clearance with the 1.6 rockers I was planning to run.

Also an idea for you.  When using the clay method, put some oil on the valves so that they do not get clay stuck on them and require cleaning.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008 - 08:03:57 AM »
You can see this in action through the spark plug hole.  You can watch the piston as it comes up and the exhaust valve start to close just before the piston hits it.

Your comment on people measuring valve to piston clearance at max valve lift is correct.  I saw them do this on the "Shadetree Mechanic" show awhile back.  They had about 1.5" clearance, didn't have a clue what was going on.

I have always used the clay method.  I cut the clay while it is still on the piston and measure it there.  While rotating the engine over I have a friend play valve spring - hold the valve stem up against the rockers.  No assemble required.  I also never bolt the head down while doing this test, If there is 0 clearance I don't want to bend a valve or pushrod.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008 - 12:00:05 PM »
This really needs to be moved to the tech or archive section before it is lost.
I may be schizophrenic,

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2008 - 12:18:57 PM »
Thanks Jason!   :2thumbs:

Don
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008 - 06:41:10 PM »
How about this:  Remove a spring. Set your head on top of a gasket on a flat surface.  Measure the distance the valve drops from full up to full down.  Measure the distance between the top of the pitson full up and the surface of the block.  Add the two together.  Subtract your lift from the total and this should be your clearance.
I may be schizophrenic,

nivvy

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008 - 05:25:39 PM »
How about this:  Remove a spring. Set your head on top of a gasket on a flat surface.  Measure the distance the valve drops from full up to full down.  Measure the distance between the top of the pitson full up and the surface of the block.  Add the two together.  Subtract your lift from the total and this should be your clearance.

If it were that easy thats the way people would do it........ you always wanna know how far your piston is down in the hole anyway for compresion reasons... also what you r forgetting in this whole equasion is the cam lift.... if your cam is .484 or .660 that valve is only gonna go down until it hits the table (flat surface)... higher duration cams will put th PtoV closer as well...

But the distance from the top of the piston to the combustion chamber is your quench.... .040 - .060 is ideal for optimum burn.....   :working:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008 - 01:53:33 PM »
the problem is the dynamics of the piston moving up towards the valve & the valve running away at the same time , , the duration of the cam & the relative timing , advanced or retarded will change where the closes point between the piston & valve occurs but generally it is approx 6* before TDC for the ehaust valve & 6* after TDC for intake & .100 is recommended for minimum clearance

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008 - 02:47:13 PM »
Good write-up, Stroker.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:21:18 PM »
I get it.  Piston full up is not when the valve is full open.
I may be schizophrenic,

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008 - 03:48:57 PM »
I get it.  Piston full up is not when the valve is full open.

Right, the valve is at max lift when the piston is about half way down for both intake and exhaust.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008 - 04:36:21 PM »
there is never a clearance issue at full open , the piston is far away from the valve at that point , the tightest point is when the piston is almost at TDC & the valve is closing trying to get out of the way of the piston 

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2008 - 07:33:31 PM »
Valve to piston clearance is more about duration and lobe seperation than lift.