Author Topic: Any updates on the Laysons Crew?  (Read 16417 times)

nivvy

Re: Any updates on the Laysons Crew?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008 - 11:20:36 PM »
must be more to the story than taht.....

Offline Pottstown Cuda

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008 - 11:22:10 PM »
It definately added to the fun of the show. I was standing near my car when the cops and security swarmed in. So my cousin and I did like all curious people do, we wandered over for a look. The police were very quick about it and the local security tried to do their part. What a way to end my Saturday at the show.

Thanks for the update. I was not sure if anyone was going to post about the show in the show.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008 - 12:27:18 AM »
Wow! That is surprizing how they risk hitting people by driving so fast.  I guess Mopar is making a big example out of them. 
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008 - 09:25:12 AM »
i thought you only saw hoods in the deep south and the middle east , and maybe columbia or ?

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008 - 09:37:00 AM »

Offline matt63

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2008 - 09:55:35 AM »
I think Ma Mopar needs to spend their time and money saving their own ars before they think about expending extra efforts pursing trademark violations.   :2cents:  I did call Laysons once and didn't like their attitude.  I think they wanted me to give them a bunch of money on the off chance that they got enough orders one day to make the part. 
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline JCWCuda

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2008 - 10:04:32 AM »
Jackie thanks for the link it was a very interesting read and from what i read I think they were right on with what they did but now how it all was handled. I do however agree that it does make a statement to others who are selling ILLEGALLY TRADEMARKED products

1974 Barracuda 360
2008 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 5.7l Hemi
1990 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l
Gone but not forgotten
1967 Barracuda 273
1976 Charger 318
2003 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7l
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2008 - 12:20:30 PM »
Not to add fuel to the debate, but I am glad that there was some follow-thru with Mopar on this one. They were given to option to purchase licensing. They were given plenty of leeway. They were then asked to cease and decist. :horse:

I do feel bad for all of the guys out there who were working with Layson's as a parts resources. :(

Now, if we can only get them to have  a closer look at the reproduction parts that are currently available....  :stirpot:

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2008 - 03:05:48 PM »
I missed it!! Dang!  :bricks1:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2008 - 07:22:40 PM »
Last time I checked Copyright/Trademark Infringement is a Civil offense.  This seems to be a case of some seriously over zealous law enforcement.  I hope Rob Wolf nails the cops for this one. 

As far as Ma Mopar goes, I personally think they have clearly gone off the deep end with some of their "enforcment."  A lot of the items available now were dead for more than 20 years.  And all of a sudden, they are clamping down on the aftermarket that is directly responsible for their resurgence - give me a f'n break! Laysons has been around forever, and love 'em or hate 'em, they've been providing parts for Mopars since before it was cool and WAY before Ma Mopar gave a ripped potato chip about any of us Mopar Nuts!
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline inot2old

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2008 - 07:27:24 PM »
Now that Ma Mopar is in the business of selling restoration parts I wouldn't be surprised if licensing fees went up even more.  Cut down on the competition. :stomp:
'71 Cuda 

'70 Charger project
'05 Crossfire Roadster

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2008 - 07:30:59 PM »
I actually looked into becoming a licensed manufacturer/distributor for stripe kits and the reply I got was, "We are not licensing anymore in that field."  I asked why not, they said, "We have enough."  I said, "So you are going to restrict free trade on items that are over 30 year old?"  They replied, "We feel that there is not enough volume to support the licensing fees required."  So basically, the truth came out, it is all a money grab.

Offline Robb

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008 - 03:29:00 AM »
Last time I checked Copyright/Trademark Infringement is a Civil offense.  This seems to be a case of some seriously over zealous law enforcement.  I hope Rob Wolf nails the cops for this one. 

As far as Ma Mopar goes, I personally think they have clearly gone off the deep end with some of their "enforcment."  A lot of the items available now were dead for more than 20 years.  And all of a sudden, they are clamping down on the aftermarket that is directly responsible for their resurgence - give me a f'n break! Laysons has been around forever, and love 'em or hate 'em, they've been providing parts for Mopars since before it was cool and WAY before Ma Mopar gave a ripped potato chip about any of us Mopar Nuts!

:iagree: 

Sounds like a lot of potentially dangerous, unecessary use of force, among a very large crowd of people and within the display of a lot of expensive personal property also at risk.  Irresponsible.

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008 - 07:44:46 AM »
Funny thing, I read the indictment that was posted on the FABO site and the main thing Mopar is enforcing is the use of the term Mopar and the Pentastar logo.  They did not seem to be griping anout the parts themselves.  Seems like Laysons was stupid to use the logos on their product knowing that Mopar was telling them to cease and desist. 

I hope Scott chimes in on this one.  I am pretty sure he stopped making the EXCELLENT parts he was making as a direct result of Mopar's heavy handedness.

Offline matt63

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008 - 09:45:25 AM »
It's my understanding that the name and logo are what is licensed.  Anybody can make parts for the cars as long as they do not have this info on them. Using them is a blatant infringement IMHO.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD