Author Topic: Any updates on the Laysons Crew?  (Read 16420 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
Re: Any updates on the Laysons Crew?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:06:46 AM »
That's what I don't understand - they can make parts all they want.  Why run the risk to put the logos and branding on there.

My wife saw an article in the local paper saying that the undercover agent who bought the parts and brought them back to the Chrysler execs said that the parts cost over 300 dollars.  The Chrysler execs told police that the parts were worth "about 70 dollars."

Maybe Laysons was charging so much for these things because they knew they'd have hefty fines to pay down the road!!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline back n black

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008 - 11:41:17 AM »
There is nothing wrong with making and selling the reproduction parts.  Layson's problem was that they continued to put Chryslers logo on it without permission.  I can't feel sorry for them, as they knew full well what they were doing.   

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008 - 11:52:39 AM »
 :iagree: That's all I have to say on this subject. Looks like it could of been totally avoided by just not putting the logos on the repo parts!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2008 - 12:27:52 PM »
 :iagree:  yup,the warrant specifically states that it is the use of the Pentastar logo that makes the parts counterfiet and therefore a crime.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:23:51 PM »
the funny thing in all of this is no one seems to have a problem with buying the parts .many of you knew about repro parts and stampings , and still bought the stuff a crook has no business without a buyer, what about having the parts on your car the numbers are stolen will ya keep them .how many of you would tell a possible  buyer when you sell your car some day that the parts are not nos or real you become very close to vin and block restamping why not just fake it all  whats really the difference the horse is out of the barn .greed in this hobby has made many kinds of crooks  just my opinion.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:30:07 PM »
(I am the type that has no idea if the parts on my car was bogus or real other than the fact I search for original stuff and used. If it is new, I never bothered to ask a vendor if he had a license or not. I did not know I had to. So like the breather on my car, I didnt buy it from Laysons, but wtf, I dont know how to check that stuff. I am only me. 

Offline matt63

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:33:24 PM »
the funny thing in all of this is no one seems to have a problem with buying the parts .many of you knew about repro parts and stampings , and still bought the stuff a crook has no business without a buyer, what about having the parts on your car the numbers are stolen will ya keep them .how many of you would tell a possible  buyer when you sell your car some day that the parts are not nos or real you become very close to vin and block restamping why not just fake it all  whats really the difference the horse is out of the barn .greed in this hobby has made many kinds of crooks  just my opinion.
Punctuation is your friend  :lol: I disagree.  Who asks their parts vendor to see their license agreement with Chrysler before the parts are purchased? Nobody.

Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2008 - 03:42:23 PM »
I have never bought anything from them and even if I did how on earth would I know they didn't have permision to use the logo? I like anyone else would assume if they were selling the stuff they would have permission. I think it's on them to pay up or not use the logo!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2008 - 03:59:35 PM »
Ron White Says:

"I Believe, that ignorance of the law is no excuse... ...and y'all I'm quoting a New York City Judge on this one, folks..."

No I hear you though - I'm sure a lot of people knew about this, but I for one would never think to say "Hey this has a Chrysler Logo on it - do you have a license?"  Of course, the private investigator kinda did...

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

craigsmytcudas

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2008 - 04:48:30 PM »
jeff your right. but more people on this forum know about the layson and other vendors fraud deals than you could ever belive .a few just nutted up a few posts back .like the atack on my punctuation nice side steping most of my posts are done when im traveling no apologe here. look at all  the posts here every one is all over the vendors when a parts missing detail and quick to point out details this problem has been on many forum for many years  if its got mopar on it and not sold by mopar i ask and i have done my research on what i buy . my post is simple glass houses

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2008 - 08:38:28 PM »
So before you buy a gallon of milk do you research where the cow came from and if it was legally owned by the farm and of course you know the truck driver delivering it is a union card carrying member right?C,mon it is up to the vendor to license his parts not us buyers to research every company we buy parts from and not many were actually bashing Laysons and some in fact were bashing Chrysler for persuing charges.Reread the posts -and  it`s not that hard to use punctuation.  :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2008 - 08:48:15 PM »
Everything??
Come on. I mean really?? From things like T-shirts to key chains, bumper stickers, even this web site with the Ma Mopar logo. Trademark infringement is wrong, but is it the buyer's responsibility to ask on every product that they buy???  :dunno:When you go the Home Depot or Lowe's do you check to make sure that the Kohler faucet you just bought is legit?? How about that pair of Converse shoes or that box of Pop Tarts. What about the knock-off brands? Do they ride on the edge of legal??? I think AL made the point pretty well. If we we tried to check everything, we'd spend all our time doing it. How many folks have bought a fake Rolex (I can't afford one) or fake purse (my wife) or pair of shoes and didn't know. :clueless: The consumer has a reasonable expectancy that what they are buying is the real McCoy and I don't think it is the up to the consumer (legally or morally) to check every dam_  product that they buy to make sure it's not being sold illegally!! Just my  :2cents:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline kingtroll

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:10:49 PM »
It seems Laysons was warned and they ignored that warning and now are paying the price. It sounds like it could have been handled a little better by the police. If they weren't warned I think I would feel more for Layson's. What's bad is that one resource for hard to find parts is now off the market. We all know how expensive and hard to find parts for our Mopars is. It seems to me he should of just stopped using the penstar when asked. Just my  :2cents:
1974 Barracuda

nivvy

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:22:22 PM »
Whatever the deal did they have to STORM CARLILSE FOR THEM.....   :2cents:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:44:19 PM »
This debate is sure to go on for a while. I do not agree with copyright infringement but for that matter I look for a quality part. I read about a plug wire kit that was of questionable quality and it was licensed. I am sure that there are plenty of quality parts that might be bogus. I could care less if a part is licensed by Chrysler, I just want the best part possible. If a guy in the alley was selling the best parts that money could buy you would find me in the alley getting stuff for my car. It is a shame they had to do "Operation Rolling Thunder" right in the middle of a national car show. I wonder who would have taken the blame if some kid happened to get run over by a cop itching to throw the cuffs on someone?
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*