Author Topic: What exhaust on my 383 - experts please  (Read 6622 times)

Offline Born_Fast

• RIGHT PEDAL :: LEFT LANE
What exhaust on my 383 - experts please
« on: July 15, 2008 - 09:55:22 AM »
Hi guys,

as mentioned in my earlier post, i'm going for some mild mods on my 383. These will include a new carb (most likely HP 750) and a new dual exhaust system, as the current one just doesn't sound mean enough.  :naughty:

I don't plan to change the cam though, as i neither have the space nor time to pull out the engine - so i prefer simple bolt on upgrades. Btw i already have triple-Y headers in there, just don't ask me which type or brand.

To be honest i don't even know the diameter of my exhaust pipes, but maybe some of you can tell from the attached picture. Now for the exhaust i'd like to have a deep, throaty, rumbling sound. Not the screaming tin-can sound that some race-exhausts produce.

What would you say are the best mufflers to get? Should i also change the pipes, or will changing the mufflers do? I'm planning to install twin-tip R/T tailpipes along with this upgrade. Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,
Ralph

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: What exhaust on my 383 - experts please
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:15:40 AM »
From what I have heard, from members videos, I am currently planning on going with 2 1/2" X-Pipes with magnaflow mufflers.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:17:16 AM »
I would go with 2.5 - 3" pipe with an X pipe with Cherry Bomb Mufflers (Not Glasspacks) or Hooker Mufflers.  I have heard good reviews on both mufflers.

Don  
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline Born_Fast

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 - 11:24:15 AM »
I would go with 2.5 - 3" pipe with an X pipe with Cherry Bomb Mufflers (Not Glasspacks)...

Don 

Hey Don,

aren't "Cherry Bomb" and "Glasspack" just two different terms to describe one and the same type of muffler???

At least that's what this site here states: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 - 12:40:14 PM »
I was always told that the orig. cherry bombs were a glass pack?  I could be mistaken???  I guess there goes my shot as being one of the "experts" LOL!!!  But Cherry Bomb has new "mufflers" out that one or two of the members run on their cars.  Not the glass pack style.

http://www.cherrybomb.com/    :2thumbs:

Don

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 - 12:49:45 PM »
I think by "glass packs" you mean the flow through, non-baffled, load as heck mufflers. Had cherry bomb glass packs on my old Cuda, my Mom hated it.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008 - 12:52:42 PM »
I like how quite my factory stock system sounds. It holds back some hp, but I dont rod down on it all that hard.

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 - 02:47:50 PM »
I think by "glass packs" you mean the flow through, non-baffled, load as heck mufflers. Had cherry bomb glass packs on my old Cuda, my Mom hated it.

That is what Im refering too.  But...  What I was suggesting was the muffler style.

Don

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 - 02:52:58 PM »
Use StRoKer muffs .........   :cooldancing:

Offline Born_Fast

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008 - 04:12:26 PM »
Use StRoKer muffs .........   :cooldancing:

Hey Stroker - these are cool, but as far as i know illegal in most European countries. So i'd rather go for an option that gives me the most streetlegal performance (and a mean musclecar sound).

From what i understand, less backpressure usually means higher engine performance. However i've read that too little backpressure can be equally bad as too much.

So which mufflers are the best for a 383 in terms of sound and performance? What do you guys with a mild modded 383 run on underneath your cars and how satisfied are you with it? I know i'm not the only one here with that setup.

Cherrybombs or glasspacks definitely seem interesting, but which type or models are best???

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008 - 04:18:00 PM »
I like the sound of the Dyno MAx turbos or the Hooker Aeros , I would use a 2.5" system on a 383
 CAm changes can be done in car , no engine removal needed BTW

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008 - 06:59:06 PM »
 :iagree: 

I've changed cams in the driveway in an hour with the stock rockers. You need a puller for the dampner and the gaskets for the intake, timing cover and valve covers. If you use a Chrysler grind just line the dots up and run it. I've used at least 15 of them and have never found one that wasn't right on (no guarantee though if you have a crappy timing gear setup) AND DON'T FORGET THE OIL SLINGER THAT GOES ON THE CRANKSHAFT IN FRONT OF THE CAM GEAR. DON'T GET EVERYTHING ALL REPLACED AND FIND IT LAYING IN YOUR TOOL BOX! Don't ask me how I know about that.

I always laugh at the guys around here with their expensive Flowmaster mufflers. They could get the same exact sound and probably less back pressure with the old cherrybomb glasspacks. I think JC Whitney still sells them.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:57:51 PM »
Hey Stroker - these are cool, but as far as i know illegal in most European countries. So i'd rather go for an option that gives me the most streetlegal performance (and a mean musclecar sound).

just dont uncapp them.....  :bigsmile:

unless you feel like being bad ........  :scared:

Offline asm74

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2008 - 12:09:19 AM »
I second DynoMAX turbo's.   Throaty and not too loud.  Sounds like a bear getting ready to pounce, and then has a nice roar at higher RPM's.  Incidentally, it looks like you have 3" exhaust. No reducers between your headers and pipes.  I would try to swing a X type crossover too.  A good exhaust shop should be able to re-purpose a lot of what you have under there already.
73 Challenger

Offline AMXguy

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008 - 01:05:10 AM »
I put the TTI  system on my Challenger and it came with Dynomax mufflers, I wouldn't change a thing.
1970 R/T SE Challenger
 1970 Superbee
 1969 S code Mach 1
 1967  GTO