Author Topic: engine starting problem. .....  (Read 3532 times)

Offline challenger71

engine starting problem. .....
« on: July 15, 2008 - 01:22:28 PM »
My 318 in my challenger has always started. I let it sit for a couple of months and it was out of gas, so I put 5 gallons in it to move it around, pulled the choke, pumped the gas 2-3 times and it just turned over and over, untill the battery went dead. I recharged the battery adn sprayed starting fluid down the carb and the car tried to start but ran for only a few seconds and then... poof. I am wondering if the carb has been flooded? My question is that if the carb was flooded and sat for a few weeks, would it remain flooded for that long, do i need to drain the float bowls? I am assuming there is not a spark issue, because it tried to fire when I sprayed starting fluid in the carb. I would check some other options right now, but I am laid up for 2 weeks with facial surgery.
10 years in the making......

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: engine starting problem. .....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008 - 01:25:24 PM »
Maybe the fuel pump or filter clogged

nivvy

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008 - 02:05:48 PM »
dont keep pumping the gas and trying to fire it up over and over as you can wash out the rings ....  :working:

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008 - 02:50:53 PM »
I would also guess it's the fuel pump, or clogged pickup filter. My brother in-law's '69 Camaro wouldn't start, after blowing into the gas tank, it ran, but he ended up replacing the pump.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008 - 06:47:05 PM »
If it fires up with starting fluid, your spark is fine.   :grinyes:

As others stated you have a fuel delivery problem. Bad fuel pump. Clogged filter. Air getting into your fuel line. Check that rubber hoses up front, and back at the gas tank aren't hardened and cracked.

This isn't a flooding issue. Take your air cleaner off. Pump the gas pedal a few times. Look down the throat of your carb. It should be wet with gas, but I bet your's won't be.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

nivvy

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008 - 06:53:17 PM »
If it fires up with starting fluid, your spark is fine.   :grinyes:

As others stated you have a fuel delivery problem. Bad fuel pump. Clogged filter. Air getting into your fuel line. Check that rubber hoses up front, and back at the gas tank aren't hardened and cracked.

This isn't a flooding issue. Take your air cleaner off. Pump the gas pedal a few times. Look down the throat of your carb. It should be wet with gas, but I bet your's won't be.

Mike

why do you play so dumb all the time ....  :smilielol:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008 - 07:04:51 PM »
I'm thinking you just need to keep cranking till the carb fills with gas if it completely "ran out" the last time it was run. Sometimes that takes a while. Just charge the battery and try again before you start replacing parts.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008 - 07:09:32 PM »
??? 318... 2bbl carter bbd by chance... POS!!! Check yr plugs if theyere wet yer flooded.
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline challenger71

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008 - 09:07:05 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I am thinking maybe I need to pull off the filter and maybe replace the pump. My next question is, can i put a pump on that is for a big block 440 onto my 318, or do i need to get the right one. I have a brand new fuel pump for my 440 but I am not going to use it, I am going with electric.
10 years in the making......

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008 - 09:35:34 PM »
Big and Small block pumps are completely different.

It's unlikely the filter plugged up or the carb went bad from just sitting. Something else occured to me. In the event that you washed down the rings with gas by flooding the motor (if the plugs are wet with fuel, but it still won't start) try squirting some oil in each cylinder. If you washed all the oil off the rings it'll never start.
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

nivvy

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008 - 09:52:52 PM »
Thanks for all your help. I am thinking maybe I need to pull off the filter and maybe replace the pump. My next question is, can i put a pump on that is for a big block 440 onto my 318, or do i need to get the right one. I have a brand new fuel pump for my 440 but I am not going to use it, I am going with electric.

me personally I would block off the the mechanical style at the pump at the block with a block off plate and run a good flowing electric one.... some are really cheap  :2cents:

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:32:18 PM »
I'm thinking you just need to keep cranking till the carb fills with gas if it completely "ran out" the last time it was run. Sometimes that takes a while. Just charge the battery and try again before you start replacing parts.

Yeah but my 318 sits for weeks at a time and will always start before the battery dies.  I just get it cranking, let it crank a few seconds, then give it WOT - it usually fires up a few seconds later.

I was always taught to give it WOT when it's flooded.  I used to flood dad's 340 all the time (I wasn't too bright back then...)

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008 - 10:34:31 PM »
excessive flooding can wash out rings.....  :working:

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008 - 11:26:51 PM »
Weak starter + weak battery + old motor + washed rings from pumping the gas = no start

I'd charge the **** outta the battery, yank the plugs, squirt a little oil in each cylinder. It'll start right up if it's gettin spark and gas.

Offline mikerallye

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008 - 11:32:48 PM »
Change the plugs before you try to start it. They are  :swear:  :burnout: