Author Topic: need hepl with distributer gear  (Read 1114 times)

Offline 73 challenger 440

need hepl with distributer gear
« on: July 18, 2008 - 12:27:29 PM »
as of now I have a stock distributer, I want to change to an aftermarket  one, but I would also like to change the gear the turns the cam, I believe this is connect to the oil pump shaft.. are these gears different sizes?

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: need hepl with distributer gear
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008 - 01:33:58 PM »
All b and rb automotive distributor drives have the same drive gear size and hex shaft size and lenght. They almost never wear out. But there is a bronze bushing pressed in the block that will wear out over time and can be bought at a good parts house.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008 - 04:25:26 PM »
thank you..

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008 - 08:35:07 PM »
now I know why there was so much play in the rotor, this cant be normal, where the distributer slides in to the shaft,  this is much larger than the end of the distributer that fits into it. I have a new distributer and shaft coming tomorrow.. so i'll get to compare them...

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008 - 08:39:57 PM »
I read on the Comp Cams website that their cams require a stronger distributor gear...  Anyone know anything about that?  All the aftermarket distro's advertise stronger gears anyways - I figured that'd be fine.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008 - 08:45:34 PM »
I ordered the Mopar Performance P3571071 shaft, the only one that summit had in stock, other brands would of been 5+ weeks for order.. and got a PerTronix Billet Plug and Play Distributor..  the msd distrib was a bit to much..

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008 - 06:50:21 PM »
now I know why there was so much play in the rotor, this cant be normal, where the distributer slides in to the shaft,  this is much larger than the end of the distributer that fits into it. I have a new distributer and shaft coming tomorrow.. so i'll get to compare them...

A common problem. I weld a bead on the distributor end with a tig welder and then grind it down so it's a snug fit in the slot.  Your timing will jump around if you don't.... 
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008 - 10:41:33 PM »

A common problem. I weld a bead on the distributor end with a tig welder and then grind it down so it's a snug fit in the slot.  Your timing will jump around if you don't.... 

very good idea...

Offline 71chally416

• Resident
    • The Streetwalker
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008 - 10:46:42 PM »
very good idea...

The distributor in my current motor is welded.  :thumbsup:
Once we had Ronald Reagan, Bob Hope & Johnny Cash. Now we have Obama, No Hope and No Cash!